Floaties for Doris the Phantom

Reaction score
Hey all,

Has anybody come up with effective floats for the Phantom? I know there are videos on YouTube but I think the majority of those are only swimming pool or pond friendly. I want something stable enough to keep Doris upright in some chop,, or in large bow waves from 70 foot 4 story floating Gin palaces.....

I'v posted a bit of a video of my second attempt at floaties for Doris - its harder to get right than I thought it would be...

So I had a few issues. I think it would have to be a cylindrical shape, very smooth, and no more than say 2.5 inches in diameter - its got to be as aerodynamic as possible and deflect as much of the prop wash as possible...

Has anybody come up with anything that works - and doesn't put too much extra strain on the battery?

Thanks
Paul

note to self dont every try this phantom is not cheap

note to self dont every try this phantom is not cheap

I have no intentions of playing with it like this once I have come up with working floaties - this is purely testing.

It will take off and land from my sailboat. The floats will be a bit of insurance if for whatever reason, I can't get it back to the boat because as you say, they are not cheap!

Has anybody come up with effective floats for the Phantom? I know there are videos on YouTube but I think the majority of those are only swimming pool or pond friendly. I want something stable enough to keep Doris upright in some chop,, or in large bow waves from 70 foot 4 story floating Gin palaces.....
Has anybody come up with anything that works - and doesn't put too much extra strain on the battery?
Most of my flying is over water and I'd much rather not lumber my Phantom with something like that.
Why handicap your drone with something so big and heavy that it is going to eat your battery life, slow the Phantom and catch the wind, besides getting in the frame?
There's no way I could have shot this with that bolted on.
DJI_0771a-X2.jpg

Overcome the fear and fly free.

Now that is a great shot Meta4

3.5 minutes less battery in current form but I'm certain I can do better than that with something more streamlined..

Yes, agreed, get over the fear and fly free is the simplest option, but its not a matter of fear of Doris going in the drink per se. Its a matter of the boss telling me there will be no Dorris 2 if it does go in the drink...

I believe its doable

Last edited:
Taking it on a sailboat and flying might be a little tricky, especially if you're actually sailing at the time.

In somewhat calm winds, you could hand catch it from the sailboat fairly easily. Practice on land a few times.

I agree with Meta. I fooled around with the idea early on and it's just not worth it. Too much weight, too burdensome, too everything. Noobs tend to be over-cautious, and there's nothing wrong with that early on. But with experience, you realize there's very little to fear.

Attaching one of those Geterback deals might make you feel better if you're scared of losing it in the water.

Home

Last edited:
If drone floats were feasible, I am pretty sure there would be some on the market.
But after seeing several members try to find a viable float system and fail (often giving up after dunking their drone), I don't think it is possible.
But Good Luck, you might be the one who finds a solution...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj