FLIR ONE + Phantom 4

Reaction score
Just purchased a FLIR ONE and found an used SAMSUNG Galaxy 5s. Now to the tricky part: How to attach the phone+FLIR to the drone. I found an Italian manufacturer (Bracket for DJI Phantom and FLIR ONE) who had a solution, but the price was too high. 100 Euros for two pieces of plastic..

I'm thinking of a cradle or brackets that can be used for either the FLIR alone (connected to the phone usin a 30 cm Micro USB and with the phone attached somewhere on the side of the landing gear) or the FLIR + phone together facing down.

Has any of you guys anything to share? CAD:s, maybe, or your own makeshift that turned out well or a link to a web shop where I can find what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance!

Roger

Last edited:
Might try using a gimbal protector that mounts on the landing gear then mount thecamera on it looking down. Couldn't tell from the flir website, can you record the imagery from the camera? The C3 is also interesting, but expensive. Wonder what the wifi range on it is?

What is an FLIR One?

In this case, FLIR is the brand name of a company that produces heat vision technology... infrared vision/cameras.

The FLIR One is a model that attaches to a phone, which provides the screen to view the image on, since the One device is the lens/sensor system only.

Like this:

f820c5aaeaf702adafe9749ceefe8b0c.jpg

They also make one specifically for drones, but it's quite costly, at $1500-$3000 +/- and looks like this:

ec52816480cdc7a2e0955eee73c9b6e1.jpg

On the street, FLIR stand for Forward Looking InfraRed.

It's a very cool, very interesting technology that can be very helpful if you don't have it stolen out of your truck and can't use it any more.

Reactions: Rotorhead
Might try using a gimbal protector that mounts on the landing gear then mount thecamera on it looking down. Couldn't tell from the flir website, can you record the imagery from the camera? The C3 is also interesting, but expensive. Wonder what the wifi range on it is?
It looks as if the FLIR blocks every use of the camera. But I haven't tried..
R

Good question...

I'm looking to replace a recently stolen TG 165 and evaluating the One and C3. I'm actually surprised they went with wifi instead of Bluetooth because I'm expecting it's only short range... I can't see why you'd ever need to transfer images over a range that would be between that of BT and wifi.

Unless they wanted to avoid the "pairing" obstacle. The intent, according to them, is to be able to send images to clients, and you'd have to ask a client to pair with the device.

In this case, FLIR is the brand name of a company that produces heat vision technology... infrared vision/cameras.

The FLIR One is a model that attaches to a phone, which provides the screen to view the image on, since the One device is the lens/sensor system only.

Like this:

f820c5aaeaf702adafe9749ceefe8b0c.jpg

They also make one specifically for drones, but it's quite costly, at $1500-$3000 +/- and looks like this:

ec52816480cdc7a2e0955eee73c9b6e1.jpg

On the street, FLIR stand for Forward Looking InfraRed.

It's a very cool, very interesting technology that can be very helpful if you don't have it stolen out of your truck and can't use it any more.

There is ONE major problem with the FLIR ONE
1. I don't think I can use the built in camera to position the drone and.
2. I cannot remotely control the FLIR.
I thougt/was hoping for a function in the app that gives me possibilty to make the app take pics by itself every n seconds. And there is sort of this function in the app, but it takes images and creates a Time Lapsed clip of the images taken. And the images are unfortunately not on the SD, which I assumed.

Nice solution, but huge problems..

I thougt/was hoping for a function in the app that gives me possibilty to make the app take pics by itself every n seconds. And there is sort of this function in the app, but it takes images and creates a Time Lapsed clip of the images taken. And the images are unfortunately not on the SD, which I assumed.

You're right... I agree, and I'm in the middle of concluding the ONE major problem with the FLIR One this way:

I don't like when a device is reliant on another device.

I completely understand your dilemma... you're actually using a third device in the mix.

Cool idea though!

Just out of curiosity what would be the purpose of adding a FLIR camera to your drone? I saw Autel had come out with one for their drone and other than water rescue couldn't understand the appeal for recreational drone fliers.

You can see at night but the major use for flir is search and rescue and law enforcement in the private sector anyway. The military has a plethora of applications. Anything that you want to know the temperature of from a distance, flir is gonna be tech for that.

For what it's worth, that's TWO major problems... :D

Looking at the linked bracket "product" info, they appear to have a pretty poor design... not even obvious how the mobile device is secured. We all know that the quads don't fly perfectly level... Also, the camera angle appears to be limited to directly vertical down, yet all the photos (most of which are probably ripped off FLIR's product publicity) show horizontal imagery, or diagonal downward facing. Being limited to a direct down view of the object seems very limited.

For what it's worth, that's TWO major problems... :D

Looking at the linked bracket "product" info, they appear to have a pretty poor design... not even obvious how the mobile device is secured. We all know that the quads don't fly perfectly level... Also, the camera angle appears to be limited to directly vertical down, yet all the photos (most of which are probably ripped off FLIR's product publicity) show horizontal imagery, or diagonal downward facing. Being limited to a direct down view of the object seems very limited.

Don't forget though, I think he's just trying it to see if it can be done… The intended purpose of these things is to aim it at a door or window, or an electrical panel, looking for hotspots or heat loss. He's not exactly using it for its intended purpose so judging the product and its performance in that application isn't exactly fair!

Just out of curiosity what would be the purpose of adding a FLIR camera to your drone? I saw Autel had come out with one for their drone and other than water rescue couldn't understand the appeal for recreational drone fliers.

This is something I would do just for the fun of it!

Don't forget though, I think he's just trying it to see if it can be done… The intended purpose of these things is to aim it at a door or window, or an electrical panel, looking for hotspots or heat loss. He's not exactly using it for its intended purpose so judging the product and its performance in that application isn't exactly fair!

Fair enough... I have always thought it would be cool to have thermography capability. I wasn't even aware of the FLIR One, so I may have a new toy for my Christmas list... :) ... I just wouldn't want to put it up in the air and have it fall out of the cradle...

Can also be used to see if a wall is insulated properly:

a6ca0071dcf4f5be4390b1bb141aaee2.jpg

It's by no means an Xray machine, but works well measuring temperature differential.

Reactions: WBN3

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl