Flip Upside Down On Takeoff

Reaction score
So it's never done this before. I did just move the FPV transmitter inside the phantom, but I have been running it outside the phantom for a week now. I made sure not to allow any contact on the inside.

After installing I took it outside for a test flight.

Transmitter on, phantom on, green lights flash.

1.) GPS take off from parking lot = quick flip upside down and full gas into the ground...

1.1 (check to make sure props are on right arms... They are self tightening.... but yes they are on the right arms.)

2.) Tried once more same thing.

3.) Moved to grass. Same thing

4.) Unplugged battery "Restart" takes off fine...

5.) One more take off, and it works fine...

Has anyone else had this happen?

OI Photography said:
Are you sure the lid is back on in the correct orientation (stripes on the front arms)?
Yes the top is on correct. Btw... Is the GPS directional ?

Also I just went back out and did 5 more start ups and take offs from the grass without issue.... Not knowing what made it malfunction is making me nervous.

It would seem that the NAZA was either frozen, rebooting, or otherwise occupied.

Unless it was in Manual flight mode, the motors should have stopped when it exceeded 70 degrees incline.

The motor(s) on he side opposite the direction of the roll should have been screaming between 35 degrees and 70 degrees if the NAZA was responding to sensor data.

Another possibility could be a vibration approaching the resonant frequency of one of the stability sensors.

Any time you have the Phantom apart, it is a good idea to connect to Assistant and check IMU calibration prior to flight.

I had the inverted flight happen to a FC-40 with a NAZA sensor problem, and on another Phantom in Manual flight mode. In manual mode, a quick flip to ATTI and full throttle could make it recover, provided you have enough altitude and quick enough response time.

Just came in from a flight(Phantom 3 Advanced) Strange thing happened.Did a return to home .All ok . Bit of wind when it landed. Bounced over and proceeded to screw itself into the ground. I picked it up whilst it was still running and one of the motors was not turning. Stopped the motors(3) Turned of everything -- Controller - Phantom 3. Turned everything back on. All motors started and Phantom flew as per normal. Any ideas.

Reactions: Midwestquads
The ESCs are said to have over-current protection despite stories of them as well as motors being damaged by stalling.
They also communicate with the MC and should report errors.

If you have no errors, no smoke or smell, as well as normal (as compared to each other) heat from use then it would be a safe bet you're OK.

Reactions: Midwestquads
I had my phantom 1 flip over immediately and then after a power reset, fly fine.
The imu goes wrong giving false 'down' - i.e. it thinks the phantom is tilted when its not.
imu calibration fixes it but it comes back for no reason.
It's never happened in flight (thank goodness), only on attempted take off.

I had my phantom 1 flip over immediately and then after a power reset, fly fine.
The imu goes wrong giving false 'down' - i.e. it thinks the phantom is tilted when its not.
imu calibration fixes it but it comes back for no reason.
It's never happened in flight (thank goodness), only on attempted take off.

I had a similar problem om my Phantom 1.1.1 when I mounted the SJ4000 camera:flip over at the take off attempt. I read on You tube people with the same issue that identify the reason in GPS control at ground level. At that time I always take off in Atti mode and switch back to GPS mode when the quad is 1 or 2 meters high:I never had the problem again even when I mounted the gimbal.

Hello all,
Francis from Honduras here, so it seems im not the only one who's had a 180 degree flip upside down, it seems thou as if some poster had luck getting the drone back in working order , i wasnt so lucky as my phantom was destroyed, the flip occurred 17 seconds after take off, all green lights before taking off and gps lock in order, i was full throttle taking some elevation and about 65 meters away from homepoint i was able to see it all happen, a drastic flip and full throttle to the ground, there goes my loan i said.. !!! I was so dissapointed... A device that is portrayed as impossible to crash and after so many reviews and comments i could not believe it had happened to me!!! Camera was ripped off so hard by the landing that i found it 5 meters away from crash site in really bad shape, i mean this is aluminum or some hard metal but there it was, torn and broken, bent, i mean you name it.. Propeller arms where cracked in the weakest points, you could see the cracked plastic, bad bad, it was all bad!!
Fortunately i was able to find all pieces! And sent it to dji in the united states, a few minutes ago i checked of my " repair tracer" at dji website and it seems i wont be charged for the repairs... It feels im being well teated here.. But wait... I dont have any guarantees is not going to happen to me again.. I mean i dont even want to fly the darn thing... What if it crashes again? And i was already so excited about the phantom 4 and almost bought it!!! But what is going on dji? What is going on? I wont be charged for repairs but i want to know why did i flipped? Luckily i was in the middle of nowhere!!! Imagine flying over hundreds of people!!!
It seems they will ship the drone to me again... But i have an uneasy feeling about this..

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr