Flight Record Analysis Help

Reaction score
I was headed to check out my hunting spot today when the P3 just started going nuts. My eyes were on the screen lining up the camera when it started. I looked up just in time to see it spinning out of control and dropping beyond the trees.

I just wanted to see what might have gone wrong. Am I to assume that a speed controller went out?

Attached is the Flight Record for your viewing pleasure.

Thanks!

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2018-09-19_[17-31-16].txt
    105.4 KB · Views: 181
I was headed to check out my hunting spot today when the P3 just started going nuts. My eyes were on the screen lining up the camera when it started. I looked up just in time to see it spinning out of control and dropping beyond the trees.

I just wanted to see what might have gone wrong. Am I to assume that a speed controller went out?

Attached is the Flight Record for your viewing pleasure.

Thanks!
Here is the file already uploaded to the viewer so people can see it.....

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Not a speed controller my friend. I have yet to look at the full data set, but can basically say that your compass went nuts. There were compass errors all over near the end of the flight. As I said, I have not looked in detail as of yet. but this would be my first thought from the initial data....will look deeper when time permits......

It looks like you lost a prop mid-flight.

Where were all of the props when you found your Phantom?

Reactions: Hounddog
can basically say that your compass went nuts
The compass errors were just a result of the event that caused the Phantom to crash.

Reactions: Oso
I not the best person the answer this. Looks like your battery is having some issues. Lots of deviation in the battery. Looks to be a loose battery to me. If a prop came off, your sensor would show a great speed increase The last battery warnings, I think caused other warnings? At that time, it was picking up speed. It was falling.

Reactions: Hounddog
As has been said you lost a prop in flight or had an ESC problem, most likely a prop loss given the reported speed errors.

E9495FCB-E730-4829-9383-D612C840A020.jpeg

Around 1:02.5 in the flight data we can see things start to go bad.
You were flying forward and had just backed off on the rudder when the Phantom started rotating clockwise.
By 1:03.5 the Phantom is losing altitude and rolling and tumbling.
Shortly afterward it's spinning more than 360 degrees/sec and falling fast.
Impact with the ground is at 1:09.2
All other error messages following that are irrelevant.

Reactions: OkiePhlyer
Not a speed controller my friend. I have yet to look at the full data set, but can basically say that your compass went nuts. There were compass errors all over near the end of the flight. As I said, I have not looked in detail as of yet. but this would be my first thought from the initial data....will look deeper when time permits......
You have looked at more than a few prop losses and other propulsion system failures- what do we always see? Compass errors due to uncontrollable rotation of the AC.

Reactions: Oso
The compass errors were just a result of the event that caused the Phantom to crash.
I realize that theory and have seen that many times, but when I don't have a chance to look closely at the data it was a quick answer, true as it was and still is. And @With The Birds your comment was correct. Just haven't had the time to completely review the data, I spend a lot of time around here, but occasionally there are other priority's.

At 62 seconds the aircraft pitched forwards, rolled left, and yawed CW. That indicates propulsion loss front left. That, and the resulting oscillation, is very characteristic of a lost prop, but if the props were all intact then there must have been motor or ESC failure.

2018-09-19_[17-31-16]_01.png

The txt log contains no motor data - to see what happened is going to require a DAT file, preferably from the aircraft.

How to retrieve a .DAT

At 62 seconds the aircraft pitched forwards, rolled left, and yawed CW. That indicates propulsion loss front left. That, and the resulting oscillation, is very characteristic of a lost prop, but if the props were all intact then there must have been motor or ESC failure.

View attachment 103677

The txt log contains no motor data - to see what happened is going to require a DAT file, preferably from the aircraft.

How to retrieve a .DAT

Thanks for that information! The front left arm has the most damage, but the prop is undamaged. Right rear prop is also undamaged. Right front and left rear props had and inch or so missing from one side. I'm assuming they broke on impact. My guess is that since the front left wasn't turning the arm took most of the initial impact, the broken props took the rest, and the right rear was furthest from the ground and remained undamaged.

No recent changes or incidents. I had flown it yesterday without incident at my grandparents farm. Today I calibrated the compass before I took off because of the 150 mile change in location back to where I live. It calibrated normally without issue. I guess the motor or ESC decided it was time to take a break.

According to the app I had accumulated 49 hrs and 39 minutes of flight time, 307 flights, and flown 2.3 million feet in the 3 years I've had it. It has paid for itself several times over so I can't complain too much.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
No recent changes or incidents. I had flown it yesterday without incident at my grandparents farm. Today I calibrated the compass before I took off because of the 150 mile change in location back to where I live. It calibrated normally without issue. I guess the motor or ESC decided it was time to take a break.

According to the app I had accumulated 49 hrs and 39 minutes of flight time, 307 flights, and flown 2.3 million feet in the 3 years I've had it. It has paid for itself several times over so I can't complain too much.
Once you have a good compass calibration stick with it- no need to recalibrate regardless of how far you travel. I don't think anyone except DJI knows why they persisted with that recommendation.

Once you have a good compass calibration stick with it- no need to recalibrate regardless of how far you travel. I don't think anyone except DJI knows why they persisted with that recommendation.
I’m always amazed at how this “you need to calibrate the compass” myth continues. I’ve traveled more than 2000 miles and never had an issue. If there’s a problem, most times you will get a message.

I'm sure you're probably right, but I always try to calibrate when I've moved that far. Maybe its the pilot in me knowing I crossed a couple of isogonic lines and want to "correct" the compass. I don't think it hurts, and I certainly don't think that caused the problem in this case. For the time being I don't have to worry about it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan