Flight path question

Reaction score
I was messing around in the simulator to try and figure out how to fly the drone so that is will circle around an object, keeping the camera aimed at that object the entire time. Essentially how do you circle an object and keep it facing forward to that object? Sorry, new to flying so I apologize if this is easy and should be obvious.

The easiest way to do this would be by using the Point of Interest flight mode.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks. I was hoping for some instruction on doing it manually, more cause I am curious on how you can do it after I could not figure it out in the simulator. I knew about this POI mode (well just that the drone could do this) though I could not remember what it was called. This video was very helpful to help learn the feature so thank you for posting it.

You can do it manually by yawing with the left stick and moving right/left with the right stick at the same time.

That is what I was doing and it would work to a point. It would start to spin after I made about a half pass around the centered object. No matter how carefully I tried, I could not complete a single pass.

You can find some tips on flying with smoother movements here. Also, I think you'll find it's easier to do when flying outside of the flight simulator.

You can find some tips on flying with smoother movements here. Also, I think you'll find it's easier to do when flying outside of the flight simulator.

Thanks. Will check it out. I haven't gotten the opportunity yet to get into an open enough area to try some maneuvers like this out. Between the holiday, work, and the weather, it just hasn't happened yet. I hope to very soon though.

slide sideways with left or right on the right stick, and add yaw with the left stick.
i.e. drone will fly left, but as you rotate the craft left will revolve around the point flying you in circles.
So both sticks towards each other or away from each other for drone nose towards the center. Same direction for nose out.
45 degree angle, you need to add forward and back as well. So stick with two axis change, but keep trying with all 3, can't hurt to learn.
Forward and yaw makes it fly like a hover craft, skidding in original direction till it picks up speed in new one.

Reactions: Loz
Thanks. Will check it out. I haven't gotten the opportunity yet to get into an open enough area to try some maneuvers like this out. Between the holiday, work, and the weather, it just hasn't happened yet. I hope to very soon though.

flying circles around yourself takes very little room. fly 4-6 feet up, and turn as you fly around yourself. Just don't step in any fire ant mounds.

Also go to camera settings and select the grid option. You will get 9 squares on screen. Keep your target in the middle as you circle. That will help loads
1483500027678.png

Neon Euc

Reactions: GrammatonxXXxCleric
This is probably the easiest move you can do. Once it clicks it will be like second nature. Try dumbing down the yaw sensitivity a tad. If you don't get it perfect and the poi drifts in the frame this can look quite effective also, as long as you avoid jerky movements.

This is probably the easiest move you can do. Once it clicks it will be like second nature. Try dumbing down the yaw sensitivity a tad. If you don't get it perfect and the poi drifts in the frame this can look quite effective also, as long as you avoid jerky movements.

not for somebody with two left thumbs.......:).......like me

It's different depending on what you're doing it with. With an HD quad like a phantom, you do as has been previously stated - you move laterally to a side while yawing the quad so that it makes a nice circle instead of just a straight line sideways. You're essentially going opposite directions with the aileron and rudder sticks.

With race quads, you actually go the same direction with both sticks. It's super counterintuitive because when you think about the movements that will be made by yawing in the same direction as you're traveling, it doesn't make sense that it will produce the desired effect. It does though, but is much harder to get the hang of than with a slow HD quad.

While it's nice to be able to do it manually, you're not going to beat the poi modes like litchi and others have. It's pretty **** smooth.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31