Flight Over Ruarl Proptery Gets The Neighbor Mad...

Reaction score
Hi all, flew over a rural neighborhood and a nearby neighbor got pretty upset. Midway thru my flight, I was questioned if I was flying that "thing." I responded that I was, and immediately the guy started ranting about not taking pictures thru his windows. At this point, I was around 250 feet in the air.

I totally get his position, but sure didn't like his delivery. Several others were with me and they began to tell him it was just for fun, and that no one was looking in his windows. I simply landed the Phantom and packed it back up. With only one battery, and two on order, what else was I going to do :).

Wondering about others experience with negativity around the copter.

How are you handling it etc...?

Later it was learned that the guy said his wife was outside in her nightgown... That evidently was his reasoning for being so upset.

On a recent camping trip, I actually made friends over the Phantom.

Thanks,
Mark

Did you try showing him your FPV? A lot of the privacy fears go away when they realize what they look like from 250 feet.

I totally get his position, but sure didn't like his delivery.
The thing to remember is that five minutes earlier he had probably just had his wife ranting in his ear about a camera in the sky filming her. He was just being the dutiful husband, and was probably venting off with you about being put that position as well.

I think you handled it well. Pack up and live to fly another day.

Folks can get a bit concerned when they don't realize what's going on. The best experiences I have had include offering a view at the screen. It only takes a second to turn them around. :D Before you know it, they want one too.

Hey Mark,
I'll send you some prairie oysters if you send me some Pismo Clams... :)

Reactions: Motorotor
Perhaps it would be wise to carry a few aerial photos on one's tablet or phone that shows the type of shots that are being taken. Unless you are lingering on take off and landing people should understand. I also tell people they need to have more privacy concerns over what they can't see or hear, than what they can.

Hi all, flew over a rural neighborhood and a nearby neighbor got pretty upset. Midway thru my flight, I was questioned if I was flying that "thing." I responded that I was, and immediately the guy started ranting about not taking pictures thru his windows. At this point, I was around 250 feet in the air.

I totally get his position, but sure didn't like his delivery. Several others were with me and they began to tell him it was just for fun, and that no one was looking in his windows. I simply landed the Phantom and packed it back up. With only one battery, and two on order, what else was I going to do :).

Wondering about others experience with negativity around the copter.

How are you handling it etc...?

Later it was learned that the guy said his wife was outside in her nightgown... That evidently was his reasoning for being so upset.

On a recent camping trip, I actually made friends over the Phantom.

Thanks,
Mark

Hi Mark,

Sounds kind of like a missed opportunity to be a local Phantom diplomat! Oh well....

Midway through your flight, when questioned if it was yours, I would have responded with:

" Yeah, wanna check it out?" as I walked over to him...

When he started ranting, I would have shown him the FPV view from your smart device and said, " Just enjoying the beautiful SLO beach scenery/sunsets like you do." and maybe even something about a reason you both chose the same neighborhood. (San Luis Obispo is beautiful beach scenery for you non Californians)

Then I would have confirmed with him while he's watching your device, that the camera is too far away to be a "spy" cam. Then I would have flown the Phantom back close to me, and told him even if it were to get close enough to spy on someone, they'd be alerted by the "swarm of bees" sound.

Then I would have thanked him for taking the time to come over...

But that's just me.....

Hi again, thanks all for your input.

I am sure I'll get another chance to sway someone w/the Phantom. At the time, I don't think the guy was ready to see or talk about anything. Funny thing is the owner's of the house I was visiting, spoke w/ him the next day, and it turns out I may know the guy. If it turns out to be who I think it is, then I'll get the chance in a calmer environment to speak w/ him.

IflyinWY, I am totally up for a trade :)

Happy Flying,
Mark

Reactions: IflyinWY
Ohh, I'm dying here... ROFLMAO
Do you know what they are?

On a more serious note, good for you wanting to calm the waters, if given the chance. It's tough when you're new at it, to talk to someone who just wants to gripe.

Have fun, I look forward to whatever video or pics you choose to post. Beautiful place, been there many, many times. :cool:

Thanks, prairie oysters, rocky mountain oysters - cooked steer testicles.

Never tried them, but I've eaten equally odd things - I am always up for a culinary challenge ;-)

SLO is a great place - been here my entire life minus the first 3 years.

Reactions: IflyinWY
This years harvest is a couple months old, but I'll keep my eyes open for a bucket of fresh ones. ;)

EDIT:
Nope, not Bull, calf. I don't know anyone with a set of their own that are big enough to try taking them off a Bull. Talk about cheating death... :eek:

Reactions: dirkclod
This years harvest is a couple months old, but I'll keep my eyes open for a bucket of fresh ones. ;)

EDIT:
Nope, not Bull, calf. I don't know anyone with a set of their own that are big enough to try taking them off a Bull. Talk about cheating death... :eek:
Now I know what happened to Dirk Jr :eek:
Ahaaa megone.gif

I fly in my neighborhood. Usually after work. What I do is lift off very quickly and straight up to 250 feet and then I keep moving. I don't stay in one place. So when people see it, it's moving fast. I then see when battery is low and I bring it in quick and land and then head for the inside of the house. I think if you don't linger, then people are less likely to complain.

You are flying in a public space. Completely legal to film. People think they have all these rights when out in public about people filming or not allowed to film. You are allowed to film anyone in public. If you wanted, you could be on public space and film his house if you wanted.

This guy takes it to the extreme. So funny how people react. Zero clue on what rights they have and don't have.
http://www.liveleak.com/c/surveillancecameraman

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Now this guy took it to the extreme!

You are flying in a public space. Completely legal to film. People think they have all these rights when out in public about people filming or not allowed to film. You are allowed to film anyone in public. If you wanted, you could be on public space and film his house if you wanted.
This guy takes it to the extreme. So funny how people react. Zero clue on what rights they have and don't have. http://www.liveleak.com/c/surveillancecameraman
You should have called the cops. The only thing I can see you might have violated any law was taking off in the street but that is no excuse for his destruction of private property.

Around my parts in rural NW Florida you could get shot for doing something like that and everyone would turn the other way and wouldn't see a thing. I live in a private development with the smallest lots 3 acres up to 20 acres and so far everyone is just curious and when I show them on the FPV monitor or cell phone clips that the people's faces are not identifiable they are even nicer but love the scenic views anyway. One of the neighbors told me that the ratio of guns to people in our 'hood' were about 4 to 1 so it's not a place where you want to P.O. anyone. I try to stay clear of homes though and during the winter fly out over the lake to the woods to find deer grazing.

I do the same - take off quick and head out.

I was goofing around last night doing some high speed maneuvers and ran into my own garage door. Exploded my prop guards but no other damage that I could find.

Mark.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers