Flight in Heavy Fog........

P-2

Reaction score
Wondering if the aircraft disappears into the soup maybe a coupla hundred feet UP and Away, will the fog have any effect on the RTH feature ???
I figgered someone has flown in the mess like we have in NW Fla right now...... 50 ft up it would completely be out of sight. ‍♂️

In the US it would violate VLOS rules.
Otherwise given the amount of moisture it could be problematic over time. Not to mention possible lens fouling.

As far as RTH, so long as the GPS is not attenuated it would return.

This isn't an advisable situation. You'd be violating the rules for all drone operators. The gentleman above is correct on both points. You're likely to lose your bird.

Wondering if the aircraft disappears into the soup maybe a coupla hundred feet UP and Away, will the fog have any effect on the RTH feature ???
I figgered someone has flown in the mess like we have in NW Fla right now...... 50 ft up it would completely be out of sight. ‍♂️
Fog will not interfere with GPS....but potential to violate:

I captured numerous photos of a quaint seaside town near me flying above a fog bank that was sitting mostly off shore and a bit over the southern portion of the town. They came out great. I had LOS the entire time, and I stayed away from the fog itself. Moisture is not a P4’s friend...

If you have lights on the Drone, you should be able to see the drone thu the fog, and get some amazing footage once you clear it.
Not to mention Fog provides some great photo opps.

Fog also presents a lot of Moisture , so we recommend the Lights and the Wet Suit to get the job done.

Phantomrain.org
Approved Vendor

I watched a video once of a drone flying in fog and the pilot was lucky to get it back as the camera showed the amount of water going onto the drone fro the fog it made it crash land as the moisture in fog is horrendous

I’m in NW Ga. tried to get up to get some flooding photos earlier in the week. Signal dropped off pretty bad even though I was still in sight. I was having the same thought. If I lost it, could it find me?

I landed.

SURE ... the videos recorded from drones flying through fog or clouds are extraordinary. They are also COMPLETELY illegal. Even is you are able to maintain VLOS, you must be 500' under the cloud base (e.g. no flying if the cloud base is under 900') and a minimum of 2000' horizontal feet from the nearest cloud. No one cares in this case if you have VLOS. What is a concern is if a fast manned aircraft can come out of a cloud/fog vertically or horizontally and see your drone with enough time to avoid a potentially disastrous collision. In the interest of all of us drone pilots, so that we don't get any more bad press or get more restrictive regulations, DO NOT fly in, around, or near fog ... PERIOD!

Just watched a video by Russ over at 51 Drones and he flew his drone in fog at 26° while next to a 400ft tower, he went up to 700’ and his props quickly iced up ....... got warnings and he brought it down.
SURE ... the videos recorded from drones flying through fog or clouds are extraordinary. They are also COMPLETELY illegal. Even is you are able to maintain VLOS, you must be 500' under the cloud base (e.g. no flying if the cloud base is under 900') and a minimum of 2000' horizontal feet from the nearest cloud. No one cares in this case if you have VLOS. What is a concern is if a fast manned aircraft can come out of a cloud/fog vertically or horizontally and see your drone with enough time to avoid a potentially disastrous collision. In the interest of all of us drone pilots, so that we don't get any more bad press or get more restrictive regulations, DO NOT fly in, around, or near fog ... PERIOD!
how can video in a fog bank be anything ........ but like diving into a pool full of milk?

DE00D78F-4BC9-458A-8D09-8C546ECE3548.jpeg

I did fly in a questionable condition. But I never lost sight of the drone. And I was within 200 feet and beneath the height of nearby buildings and hills. But as one member posted, the regs are quite clear.

I was under the impression the ceiling had lifted to minimums, but was in a rapidly changing weather situation. My flight time was cut short because rain moved back in.

Something to think about gents, especially in the summer. I know some of you like to push the envelope on distance. If you get caught in a pop up storm, it could be ugly.

Check your favorite weather service or two before any flight in bad weather. And also be aware of rapidly changing conditions.

Not only is safety a concern, but losing a couple of thousand dollars worth of equipment is a bit much for some of us.

Reactions: P-2
Oh yeah, my instructor took me up in a basic Cesna 150 back in the 80’s. Thought we could dodge around the storms.

It is an amazing experience to be in a small aircraft in the middle of a storm and only VFR capable. Can’t see anything but white. Can’t hear for the rain on the aluminum. Quite a ride.

So drones aren’t the only craft that need good weather sense!

Reactions: MTO

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic