Flight day 1, test flt 1 no-go

Reaction score
Just got my Phantom and it didn't fly today :( . Cal of compass seems to have gone per. manual but it does not fly or do anything but flash lights. I see what the reviews are talking about, these flashing lights are useless except for the simplest of indications :lol: .

Here is what I think I am seeing when I plug in the batt.

Sounds (but who knows if they were correct ..I sure don't).
Flashing of all 3 colors but to fast to determine sequence.
Several fast greens flashes.
1 green 3 red for about 5 to 10 sec.
Then green once about every 2 or 3 sec. this continues till I unplug the battery.

Any help on this from an experienced Phantom pilot? Do I need to cal the IMU?

Thanks

sundance2013 said:
Just got my Phantom and it didn't fly today :( . Cal of compass seems to have gone per. manual but it does not fly or do anything but flash lights. I see what the reviews are talking about, these flashing lights are useless except for the simplest of indications :lol: .

Then green once about every 2 or 3 sec. this continues till I unplug the battery.

Thanks

A couple of things.

Are you turning your transmitter on first, and is the throttle all the way down.
Are you doing the compass dance according to the DJI videos. You can find them in the Phantom guide in this forum.
Is the battery fully charged?
Is there any other WiFi source turned on on the phantom. In other words, some people don't know they can't use the wifi on a GoPro at the same time as the Phantom radio. It needs tobe turned off.

It does take as long as 4-5 minutes sometimes to get the ESC's warmed up.

Hope this helps

D

sundance2013 said:

Thanks

Your'e ready to fly.
The initial led sequences are Yellow, while warm, then Green-Red while locking GPS satellites, finally 20 green sequence when current flight forwared and take off position are saved. A GREEN or GREEN GREEN sequence every 2-3 seconds means Ready To Fly GPS locked OK :mrgreen:

Turn transmitter on.
Plug battery on phantom in.
Wait for green lights flashing every 2-3 seconds as stated above.
On transmitter pull both sticks down and to the center to start motors.

Hi everyone,
I got my phantom working today, but i have problems every time I try to get air the phantom tips to the back and goes on the side,
does anyone have any information on this problem. Would be very appreciated.

best,
AH

Check to be sure that you have the props in the right place. Make sure that the arrows on the props match the arrows on the Phantom.

I had that problem myself one time. Should fix it.

Rigger609 said:
Check to be sure that you have the props in the right place. Make sure that the arrows on the props match the arrows on the Phantom.

I had that problem myself one time. Should fix it.

Great reply!

As a newbie, I had learned this the hard way too. After carefully examining the white props, I saw the matching rotation arrows. Two are clockwise and two are counter-clockwise.

CameraGuy said:

A couple of things.

Are you turning your transmitter on first, and is the throttle all the way down. Yes but ...My controller controls are spring loaded to the center, so I should manually hold it down?

Are you doing the compass dance according to the DJI videos. You can find them in the Phantom guide in this forum.
Is the battery fully charged?Yes, light do what they should here.
Is there any other WiFi source turned on on the phantom. In other words, some people don't know they can't use the wifi on a GoPro at the same time as the Phantom radio. It needs tobe turned off. I was in a park so I assume there was min. wifi and no Gopro was on the craft.

It does take as long as 4-5 minutes sometimes to get the ESC's warmed up.

Hope this helps

D

I just watched the video again, I get the green flashing telling me all is well but get no motor power up when I move the throttle.

What position should the throttle be in on power up? If in the "down" position how in the heck do you hold the controller, hold the throttle in the down position and put the battery in at the same time. My throttle is spring loaded to center so it will not stay in the down position if you don't hold it there.

marcus_canada said:
I see what the reviews are talking about, these flashing lights are useless except for the simplest of indications :lol:

I see another flyway story in the making :lol:

Hope not :D In the setup there is a fail-safe option for "go Home" or "Land". I selected "Land", won't that eliminate a fly-a-way?

RedFishChaser said:
Rigger609 said:

Great reply!

As a newbie, I had learned this the hard way too. After carefully examining the white props, I saw the matching rotation arrows. Two are clockwise and two are counter-clockwise.

I thought it didn't matter as long as the props go round and round and make noise . . . . :D

bumper

For what it might be worth,

1. Make a checklist giving the steps to start up, things to watch out for, the light sequences, etc. then follow it.
2. I read the check list, power on the transmitter, hang it from a strap around my neck, leaving my hands free
3. Make sure the transmitter switches for GPS, ATTI, etc are in the up position per your checklist.
4. I then insert the battery, make the connections and listen for the tones.
5. Then I close the battery door.
4. Go around to the back of the Phantom and watch the light sequence and compare it to your checklist
5 When you have the blinking green proceed to start the motors...both sticks full back
You can support the transmitter with the neck strap and both little fingers, ring fingers and middle fingers leaving
thumb and index fingers free to gently work the sticks.

Remember, ALL pilots use checklists. If they don't they are an accident waiting to happen

I do plan on making a check list (I work for an airline, check lists and procedures are a way of life) but right now I need answers about the dependencies in what the dji manual and videos show and what is reality with the device I just purchased.

Thanks for the info.

P.S. does your controller have the levers spring loaded to center?

some controllers come with the throttle lever spring loaded to center....take the spring out and keep the throttle in the off position before plugging in your phantom

thetac said:
some controllers come with the throttle lever spring loaded to center....take the spring out and keep the throttle in the off position before plugging in your phantom

Has anyone else done this?

sundance2013 said:
CameraGuy said:
I just watched the video again, I get the green flashing telling me all is well but get no motor power up when I move the throttle.

What position should the throttle be in on power up? If in the "down" position how in the heck do you hold the controller, hold the throttle in the down position and put the battery in at the same time. My throttle is spring loaded to center so it will not stay in the down position if you don't hold it there.

I know it's tempting to want to get in the air quickly so it's understandable that you might not read all the manuals first. (Especially since DJI doesn't include them in the box!) However, a couple of things you might have missed:

The latest Phantoms (since about May/June or so) have shipped with a spring-centered throttle. This is actually a good thing because it means you get perfect "hands off" hover without having to constantly tweak the throttle to the center point. Throttle does not need to be "down" on power up because the motors will not start anyway until you execute the Control Stick Command (CSC) sequence (below).

Do this:

1) Turn transmitter ON.

2) Place Phantom on level ground and insert battery into bay. Plug in and take your hands off. :)

3) Wait for startup "melody." These tones are actually produced by the *motors* themselves by sending high-frequency signal through the motor windings. More than just a clever trick, you can *immediately* hear if you have a bad motor or speed controller (ESC) because one "tone" will be missing or "out of tune."

4) After 10 seconds or so you should start to see the "Green-Red-Red-Red" pattern telling you that it's looking for GPS lock. At this point it's safe to tuck in the wires and close the battery cover.

5) On your transmittter, place the right switch in GPS position. Move back and forth from GPS to ATTI 6-10 times, ending on ATTI (middle position). You'll have a solid YELLOW light on the Phantom.

6) Pick up the Phantom, walk about 15 feet away from your transmitter and away from any metal, concrete, cell phones, car keys, etc. Hold the Phantom level and spin around 360 degrees until the light blinks. The hold the Phantom pointing "nose down" (battery door pointing down) and spin 360 degrees again until the LED blinks.

7) Switch the Transmitter back to GPS and put the Phantom back on LEVEL ground.

8) Stand about 8-10 feet from the Phantom and execute the CSC (pull both stick bottom and to the center for 1 second). Motors will start.

9) You now have three seconds to take off or the motors will stop again. Most reliable takeoff is simply to push the throttle 100% up and HOLD IT. Phantom will spin up and in about 2-3 seconds will shoot up pretty quickly. Let go of the throttle and let it stabilize at hover around 6-10 feet above ground.

** IF when you try to start the motors nothing happens, you have something (compass or IMU) out of calibration. Follow the instructions to do an advanced IMU calibration.

** IF when you try to take off the Phantom tilts to one side, make sure all your props are on correctly -- rotation arrows on the prop hub need to match the arrows on the shell. Two CW and the opposite two CCW.

** Some forward tilt on takeoff is normal, especially if you have a camera installed. If you get nervous and pull back on the throttle before it's off the ground, you WILL nose over and bury your props in the grass or concrete. Unless it looks like you are VERY OBVIOUSLY going to flip over on the ground (because of a prop installed incorrectly), then don't be wimpy on the throttle. 100% and hold it.

That should do it. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers