Flight Conditions - Lakes and Rivers

Reaction score
In the user guide, DJI states
Keep the aircraft away from obstacles, crowds, power lines, trees, lakes and rivers etc.
Is this just CYA or can you not fly a Phantom 2 Vision over lakes and rivers? I am obviously aware that crashing into a lake or river could be catastrophic. One of the reasons I bought this aircraft was to video the small rivers and waterfalls in my area.

Thanks

There's no earthly (or watery) reason not to fly over water, other than the risks you've already outlined. The bird itself will operate just as it does over land.

There is lots of example video here and on YouTube.

EDIT: what Jayson said. ;)

mschore said:
In the user guide, DJI states
Keep the aircraft away from obstacles, crowds, power lines, trees, lakes and rivers etc.
Is this just CYA or can you not fly a Phantom 2 Vision over lakes and rivers? I am obviously aware that crashing into a lake or river could be catastrophic. One of the reasons I bought this aircraft was to video the small rivers and waterfalls in my area.

Thanks

I think for warranty claims they want to make sure you are not flying anywhere that there might be a problem. I think they would prefer that we not fly over land, water, air, space, outdoors, indoors, around doors. anywhere anything is. Since you have a great gimbal, instead of buying a $3,000 Ronan just walk around with your quad in your hand. It is late, or maybe very early, please excuse my rambling..

Just fly and let her be free. It doesn't matter if you fly over water or concrete a fall from 100m into either will result in the same ending, buying a new phantom. I fly over the Iris sea all the time. Check out Sky Pixels Ireland on YouTube and FI and you'll see what I mean. It's a mental stumbling block that some people find to fly over water, get over it and you'll be fine.

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
Just fly and let her be free. It doesn't matter if you fly over water or concrete a fall from 100m into either will result in the same ending, buying a new phantom. I fly over the Iris sea all the time. Check out Sky Pixels Ireland on YouTube and FI and you'll see what I mean. It's a mental stumbling block that some people find to fly over water, get over it and you'll be fine.

Mal... Flying over water still induces a high grade pucker factor for me. Especially since I've had to fork over $129.00 for a new RE700 Range extender... It's not like DJI screwed up and sent me one for free, ya know? I mean... how often does THAT happen...? :roll:

-slinger

While aerials in general offer a new perspective, shots from over water are even more interesting (I believe). Its simply a view that the general public doesn't normally get to see. I fly over the water quite often with no hesitation.

Byron.

Completely agree that aerial shots over water are more interesting, Byron.

You have me curious, though. What would you do if, perchance, there was a malfunction and your Phantom went into the drink, unrecoverable? Just go out and get another one?

I have a sneaking suspicion that one's "pucker factor" in flying over water is inversely related to their financial ability to replace their Phantom should something go wrong.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20