Flies ' Out Of The Box'

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just purchased my new Phantom as of Dec. 9, 2013. I assembled it correctly after watching the video on the DJI web site.
Charged the battery. Turned on transmitter. Attached battery to Phantom. Heard all the correct lights. ( I have the spring loaded throttle) Gave it some throttle and ...nothing. Not even a whir. Oh Sh*%&#@! I've read where so many new units did this to new pilots. So... I kept reading on this site. One guy noted that you must put both levers down and to the left. Holy God!
It Works! Right out of the box! I've flown (some) helis so I was getting ready to do some serious research on this. But I have one question. When I move directional stick to the right, she moves left and vice versa. Is this normal. I'm just practicing hovering inside for now. Have not downloaded anything for proper GPS set up. I've been up and down and hovering about 5 times now.
But I'm afraid to start downloading anything because everything works right now. You know, don't fix it if it aint broke kinda thing. But I do want the 'return to home ability' of course. Should I risk it and start the download?

Thank you.

Read the manual. Watch ALL the training videos. Read the manual again. Be sure you understand all the specific idiosyncracies of THIS particular bird. The way you approached your first take-off does not work well with this one.

The Assistant is your friend.....if you understand it. You need it. You need to understand it.

Yes....it CAN fly right out of the box.....and can keep going!

As stated above, you've got a lot of reading to do. First off, I strongly suggest you do a compass calibration outside where you intend to do your first flight. ALSO, look through the downloads on the DJI site to learn how to do a Tx calibration, sounds like you need one! Then hook up to the software and do an Advanced IMU calibration.

cczx14r said:
As stated above, you've got a lot of reading to do. First off, I strongly suggest you do a compass calibration outside where you intend to do your first flight. ALSO, look through the downloads on the DJI site to learn how to do a Tx calibration, sounds like you need one! Then hook up to the software and do an Advanced IMU calibration.

I definately need to do this. I won't be flying anymore until I do.

Peter Patricelli said:
Read the manual. Watch ALL the training videos. Read the manual again. Be sure you understand all the specific idiosyncracies of THIS particular bird. The way you approached your first take-off does not work well with this one.

The Assistant is your friend.....if you understand it. You need it. You need to understand it.

Yes....it CAN fly right out of the box.....and can keep going!

You're right! I will slow down and learn first, fly later.

len750 said:
When I move directional stick to the right, she moves left and vice versa. Is this normal.
Were you flying with the flashing LED facing towards you, or away from you?

The flashing LED is on the BACK of the Phantom, so it should be facing towards you.

Yes you should do your downloads and do all your calibrations before you fly outside and not sure how big of a room your flying in but you may want to wait to take it outside, You don't want to loss signal or weird something out from other electronics in the household and have your Phantom bouncing of your walls and ceiling!! The Dealer will do your upgrades but it's all ways best to check and make sure also the compass cal. is something that will need to be done by you in the area you plan on flying. The videos are the best to get you better informed on flying modes.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1