Flew up 4400ft, could not descend fast enough. CSC?

Reaction score
Hello,

Borrowing my dad's P2, I flew up pretty high to see how high it could go.
"Pretty **** high" was the answer.

Anyways, at about 60% battery, I started descending at max speed (2 m/s) and quickly realized that this was just not going to work out.

After the battery got to 0%, about 20s later it fell out of the sky(150m). Game over.

The riddle I present to you is: given that you're at 4400ft and 50-60% battery, what are some ways of safely doing an emergency landing/minimizing damage?

An early thought I had was to shut the motors down and let it freefall a few seconds, and re-engage. Could this work potentially?

Another thought (if preset), would manual mode have uncapped my descent rate?

PS - Pretend this is all theoretical if it prevents you from wasting your breath informing the dangers of high altitude flying.

I asked the question and yes there are videos where doing a CSC happens and as long as you arrest the fall then its fine, also adopting manual mode is an option however you have to fly carefully to avoid VRS occurring

Reactions: Rick K
Sounds like you need to revise some basic arithmetic.
The Phantom descends at 1/3 the speed it climbs.
Now you have learned that.
Any idiot should be able to work out that it isn't safe to use more than 20% of your battery going up because you are going to use 3x (60%) coming back down. This leaves a safety margin of 20%.
Safety might be a new concept to you. Perhaps one you should become familiar with.

ps .. flying 4400 feet up with a Phantom is plain STUPID.
Obviously stupider than you understand even now.

I am also quite interested in knowing if ATTI mode overrides the slow 2m/s descent. If manual mode allows the uncapped 6m/s descent, that is DEFINITELY something I'd love to know. I have flown drones for a while now and am quite comfortable flying without any GPS assistance (in fact, having a GPS feels like a luxury after having flown exclusively manual in the past).

I think CSC mid flight and turning on the motors would be extremely risky. Depending on how long you're falling for, It would be difficult to get the phantom stabilized again (it will be tumbling out of control unless there is absolutely no wind), but even with a perfectly stabilized freefall, this would probably put enormous stress on your ESC's, with a high chance that they would blow. Bear in mind I am no expert, and I'm just theorycrafting at the moment. Feel free to prove me wrong and I will stand corrected.

"The riddle I present to you is: given that you're at 4400ft and 50-60% battery, what are some ways of safely doing an emergency landing/minimizing damage? "

The riddle you ask isn't the riddle to be answered. I think dad may give you a little smack tonight :)

Manual mode definitely drops faster than 2m/s. It drops like a stone unless you give it some good throttle.
You could try switching to manual for a couple of seconds, then back to GPS and allow the quad to recover. It will take quite a distance to brake it's fall.

It's real simple do not go that high . You got what you deserved hope your old man whoops your a** .
You showed no respect for someone else's equipment or flying safe .

Meta4 said:
Sounds like you need to revise some basic arithmetic.
The Phantom descends at 1/3 the speed it climbs.
Any idiot should be able to work out that it isn't safe to use more than 20% of your battery going up because you are going to use 3x (60%) coming back down. This leaves a safety margin of 20%.

Other idiots may opine that you will use less battery going down because the motors are doing less work than they are while going up.

The other math problem is that you won't get to 150M from 4400 feet in about 20s. More like 10 minutes at 2M/sec.

OP doesn't have a location listed but assuming he's based in the US I don't believe we should give advice to people regarding flagrant, irresponsible violations of the law, other than to not do that when they fly. Look I'm no angel, way out in the country or woods I don't necessarily stay at 400' but even I've never been over 650' (200m). Heights like he described are reckless and dangerous and simply shouldn't be done you are well into aircraft airspace. that's all the device this OP deserves imo.

even if he's from a country where that wasn't an illegal flight (doubtful) it's still irresponsible and stupid and demonstrates a lack of basic understanding of the craft before flying recklessly. What if it had fallen onto someone and killed them? He's lucky it was only the craft that was lost!

andisblue said:
PS - Pretend this is all theoretical if it prevents you from wasting your breath informing the dangers of high altitude flying.

You should do the CSC. Don't bother restarting the motors. Once you hear the thud, collect your mess. Then never touch any RC machine again. Theoretically.

yea it's not "wasting breath" if it prevents someone else from making the same idiot mistake

andisblue said:

Theoretically I think you must be a dangerous self centred prat. I just hope you are not flying anywhere near me. Theoretically obviously ;)

ianwood said:
andisblue said:

You should do the CSC. Don't bother restarting the motors. Once you hear the thud, collect your mess. Then never touch any RC machine again. Theoretically.

+1 :D

andisblue said:

:lol: NO chance!!!!!

Hughie said:
....I think you must be a dangerous self centred prat.....
QYV said:
... same idiot mistake
ianwood said:
....never touch any RC machine again. Theoretically.
QYV said:
.... irresponsible and stupid and demonstrates a lack of basic understanding of the craft before flying recklessly.
750r said:
.... hope your old man whoops your a** .

ianwood said:
andisblue said:

+1 :lol:

I can just imagine how that conversation between son and father is going to go when dad sees what was done to his toy. :shock: :eek: :evil:

Marlin009 said:
The other math problem is that you won't get to 150M from 4400 feet in about 20s. More like 10 minutes at 2M/sec.

He said 20's after 0% battery the phantom dropped.

tbwester said:
Marlin009 said:

He said 20's after 0% battery the phantom dropped.

Well, I guess it could have flown another 20 seconds with no battery. :lol:

****.... you were the best part of a mile up. Free fall is probably the only way to get down as fast as you needed. Perhaps a little sooner in the descent than you did it. Anyhow, blast another grand on a new one and give it another go. Interested in the result.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20