Flew my phantom for the first time...at night.

Reaction score
Just want to say how excited I am about this thing. I have been flying basic RC helis for a year or two now, and can't get over how well the phantom handles. A lot of awesome things are going to come out of this thing if all goes as planned. Does anyone have a place where I can read up of air restrictions for drones, or does anyone have a good place on here where I can check it out? Here's to many more hours in the air!

:D

I also did my first flight this evening, in the dark no less! My wife thought it was pretty cool (we are both 68 - LOL) - anyway, I am anxious to try the other modes. Does the transmitter have the other modes (home lock, etc.) already programmed or do I need to upgrade via the USB input to the Phantom>? Anyone know?

justsomeguy said:
Ripcord said:
I also did my first flight this evening, in the dark no less! My wife thought it was pretty cool (we are both 68 - LOL) - anyway, I am anxious to try the other modes. Does the transmitter have the other modes (home lock, etc.) already programmed or do I need to upgrade via the USB input to the Phantom>? Anyone know?

I sense a flyaway coming soon.

Does "owner's manual" have any meaning in your native language?

Haha Im so scared of a fly away. I was all over the DJI website watching tutorials and watching youtube videos of people crashing. I really took my time on this thing, read the physical manual cover to cover and read the online manuals cover to cover before I even put the thing together. Can't wait for tomorrow. :D

narkohleptic said:
Just want to say how excited I am about this thing. I have been flying basic RC helis for a year or two now, and can't get over how well the phantom handles. A lot of awesome things are going to come out of this thing if all goes as planned. Does anyone have a place where I can read up of air restrictions for drones, or does anyone have a good place on here where I can check it out? Here's to many more hours in the air!

:D

Its more fun to fly at night because :

1. usually in my part of the world there is less wind at night time.
2. Phantom lights can be seen from miles so you can fly much further
3. its more difficult to confuse orientation
4. its easy to spot the low battery warning led
4. there so many people with dropped jaws on the floor because they just saw ET on the sky ...

miskatonic said:
If you want to fly at night get these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/161128472589?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

I threw a set onto my Phantom last week and had no less than 20 people come out to the area I was flying and ask what it was. These lights are visible from over 300 meters and put the stock navigation lights to shame.

I'm a little nervous about "intriguing" the neighbors. I love pretty close to an airport. I was having a blast hovering the phantom around over a few houses at around 100 feet :)

Lots of donts may be covered here... ie. Don't hover over someones house, don't draw the attention of 20 people, etc. We probably have only a small amount of time left to enjoy these toys... ssshhhh.

Yeah, in a world (actually a country - the USA) where laser pointer "crack-downs" are yet another excuse for the @#!&ing FBI to knocking on your door and put you in jail, I'd say be discrete (not covert, just discrete) and as safe as humanly possible with your flying habits. Quad flying is a privilege, not a "right" - and you will be shocked at how fast and how harshly local politicians can legislate away your fun and render thousands of dollars worth of hobby equipment useless after just a TINY number of illegitimate complaints from some octogenarian constituents. :twisted:

PF

I'm going to make sure to keep my quad flying as responsible as possible. I don't want to be "that guy" that ruins it for everyone. I've seen it happen before. Besides, Im a "creative independent film director" and a "student" :) those lines have saved me more than once. Thanks for all the insight guys, I really appreciate it.

PhantomFan said:
Yeah, in a world (actually a country - the USA) where laser pointer "crack-downs" are yet another excuse for the @#!&ing FBI to knocking on your door and put you in jail, I'd say be discrete (not covert, just discrete) and as safe as humanly possible with your flying habits. Quad flying is a privilege, not a "right" - and you will be shocked at how fast and how harshly local politicians can legislate away your fun and render thousands of dollars worth of hobby equipment useless after just a TINY number of illegitimate complaints from some octogenarian constituents. :twisted:

PF

Respectfully disagree
They are not gonna come and take your Phantom unless you yourself intentionally do something ridiculously stupid over and over
I'm kinda bored with the ecko'd " some one guy is going to ruin it for everyone " so I won't rant but you can read my other post on this very topic.

I say this assuming you live in the USA perhaps your in some country where the government is not actually the people.

I live in the USA where the only sanctioned spying is by the government itself. No one else is welcomed to do it, and it only takes a few complaints to get fun of all sorts banned. Go try and fly in a schoolyard. One parental complaint about "we must protect our children" and guess who gets shown the door - no matter that you were flying at 9:30 am and no self-respecting kid in the neighborhood is out of bed before ******* NOON.

Speaking as an old-timer R/C plane flier who has seen flying field after flying field lost to development and lost to complaints, you sir cannot tell me my concerns are unwarranted. Seen it and experienced it first-hand. History (I will remind you) tends to repeat itself.

'Nuf said.

PhantomFan said:
I live in the USA where the only sanctioned spying is by the government itself. No one else is welcomed to do it, and it only takes a few complaints to get fun of all sorts banned. Go try and fly in a schoolyard. One parental complaint about "we must protect our children" and guess who gets shown the door - no matter that you were flying at 9:30 am and no self-respecting kid in the neighborhood is out of bed before ******* NOON.

Speaking as an old-timer R/C plane flier who has seen flying field after flying field lost to development and lost to complaints, you sir cannot tell me my concerns are unwarranted. Seen it and experienced it first-hand. History (I will remind you) tends to repeat itself.

'Nuf said.

Haha your upset because the government wont allow you to spy as they keep that ability for themselves? :shock:

also -
If you fly in a school and you hurt someone regardless of time or day of week ..the school district is now liable, then the district passes rules saying kids cant bring hotwheels to school because some of them can fly...lol

And your concerns are warranted just as my concerns of old timers spreading fear to the point newbies are afraid to take their Phantoms out of the backyard...lol ...yeah thats warranted as well i guess. ;)

eckoner said:
PhantomFan said:

'Nuf said.

Haha your upset because the government wont allow you to spy as they keep that ability for themselves? :shock:

also -
If you fly in a school and you hurt someone regardless of time or day of week ..the school district is now liable, then the district passes rules saying kids cant bring hotwheels to school because some of them can fly...lol

And your concerns are warranted just as my concerns of old timers spreading fear to the point newbies are afraid to take their Phantoms out of the backyard...lol ...yeah thats warranted as well i guess. ;)

I think each if your view points are valid. With my background in film I've learned just to plug away, and it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. Drones aren't really sanctioned yet, so I'm just going to keep making great movies until I'm told otherwise. I like to channel my inner James Cameron.

eckoner said:

You missed the joke. Just criticizing my government (the NSA in particular). It was meant to be rhetorical.

also - If you fly in a school and you hurt someone regardless of time or day of week ..the school district is now liable, then the district passes rules saying kids cant bring hotwheels to school because some of them can fly...lol

Why should they care or make it their business if there isn't a soul around? And who are they to dictate what activities can and cannot be performed there? I pay that school district nearly $14,000 a year through my property taxes (yeah, I live in a hoity-toity rich *** neighborhood). I ought to be able to take three back-to back 12 minute flights, hurt no one or no thing, and then walk home.

Talk to me in a couple of years. You'll see my warning was spot-on.

PF

PhantomFan said:
Talk to me in a couple of years. You'll see my warning was spot-on.
PF

I think if i was "The Government" i would be more worried about the stockpile of assault weapons in your basement before worrying about your "Toy Helicopter"

But perhaps your conspiracy theory proves me wrong since we have "FRINGE" elements inside of our government attempting to ruin our economy and keep the top 300 Americans as wealthy as the bottom 85 million combined.

But for now fly your Phantom safely and dont worry about anyone coming to take it.

eckoner said:
But for now fly your Phantom safely and dont worry about anyone coming to take it.

And so I shall. :lol:

PF

narkohleptic said:
miskatonic said:
If you want to fly at night get these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/161128472589?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

I threw a set onto my Phantom last week and had no less than 20 people come out to the area I was flying and ask what it was. These lights are visible from over 300 meters and put the stock navigation lights to shame.

I'm a little nervous about "intriguing" the neighbors. I love pretty close to an airport. I was having a blast hovering the phantom around over a few houses at around 100 feet :)

Flying at night and flying near an airport.. aren't these both FAA no-nos? I must be on the extremely cautious side of the phantom pilot group, I wouldn't consider doing either.

lilwheat said:
narkohleptic said:
miskatonic said:

Flying at night and flying near an airport.. aren't these both FAA no-nos? I must be on the extremely cautious side of the phantom pilot group, I wouldn't consider doing either.

You have obviously never flown at night time. It is easier than day time. You can maintain LOS ALOT easier. Flying near airports is a little grey area, best to keep out of a 5 mile radius although, the FAA current ruling is that all you need to do is notify the controllers of the airport and you are aloud to (I'd assume there is a limit). This is assuming the craft is being used by a hobbyist, if the footage from the flight EVER became used in a commercial application then it would change the legalities again lol.

Btw, in Australia, it will cost (at most) $8,640 to become authorised to operate a "drone" commercially, in fact, in Austria there is already heaps of authorised businesses! One within a few hundred meters of me lol

http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?W ... =PC_100377

Driffill said:
Btw, in Australia, it will cost (at most) $8,640 to become authorised to operate a "drone" commercially, in fact, in Austria there is already heaps of authorised businesses! One within a few hundred meters of me lol

Maps no good in my village. Ok. Austria very far from Australia though i be thinkin.

sundara nēvalā said:
Driffill said:

Maps no good in my village. Ok. Austria very far from Australia though i be thinkin.

Whoops! Bahahaha

Good pick up!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj