Flew my drone in Minus17 degree Celious

Reaction score
Well I flew my drone in minus 17 degrees in my latest adventure video. It did not want to fly, kept getting gimbal overheating error. its like it was talking to me. I did eventually get it up and flew it for about 10 minutes. Was scared one of the propellers might cease and it would crash. Anyways if you interested you can see a few of the shots in my latest video they are pretty.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I fly mine in similar temps ... no problem.

Strange about gimbal overheating ...

Nigel

Same low temps....no problems!

Check your gimbal!

The gimbal may have been a bit stuck causing more current than normal.

I would recommend heating your batteries to keep them warm enough to fly. At -17C I'd probably preheat the batteries to about 35C with the expectation that it might cool to about 30C before you get the bird in the air and then the heat generated in operation should prevent the temp from dropping much below 25C in flight. I wonder, could you post what your battery temps were at the start and finish of the flight?

Brian

Agree...

IMG_0359.jpg

Heating pad internals inside the liner of an insulated lunch bag
(fast-Heat, 4 settings, detachable, 2hr auto off)

The AC has maintained the battery once in fight at 26C

Last edited:
Agree...

View attachment 95755

Heating pad internals inside the liner of an insulated lunch bag

The AC has maintained the battery once in fight at 26C

Thanks for the feedback on battery temps -- it is in line with my own experience and expectations. I made a battery heater out of an old "cooler" -- I made a video about a year ago.

Brian

flew mine in -6 which i didnt think would work ha

As raptorman stated: give us more info including current fw versions, battery status and your before flight preparations for such a low temp. Could be nothing but a glitch, at those temps my fisrts concern is the battery temp before and during flight. Second concern is how brittle the plastic gets at this temp.

The gimbal may have been a bit stuck causing more current than normal.

I would recommend heating your batteries to keep them warm enough to fly. At -17C I'd probably preheat the batteries to about 35C with the expectation that it might cool to about 30C before you get the bird in the air and then the heat generated in operation should prevent the temp from dropping much below 25C in flight. I wonder, could you post what your battery temps were at the start and finish of the flight?

Brian
thanks for the advise :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers