Flew it in today's crazy weather with 50mph winds (Video)

Re: Flew it in today's crazy weather with 50mph winds (Video

Superb! Thanks for the video! I wished you filmed even more, was interesting to watch.
I'm considering filming some windsurfers and kitesurfers but the action is always at high winds so I'm having some second thoughts to say at least ;)

The problem with getting so near its limitation is you have nothing in reserve.
If the wind is blowing 25mph the phantom needs to fly at 25mph to stand still.
The gustiness is another major risk factor.
In short best avoided - but interesting to see how it fights to deal with it.
Bear in mid that you don't need go much above tree top height for winds to increase considerably more, so a borderline day at ground level you could still lose it once airborne.

Be interesting to see what the pictures were like from the Phantom if you have them.

With this video, it seems the phantom is very capable of maintaining position in winds gusting to way more than 25 mph. It would have been interesting to have seen it briefly switched to ATTI mode! Then switch back to GPS mode again. The recovery against the wind would be very telling. I would like to have seen that video!

-Dale-

Next time try measuring the wind speed. Fly up wind a little, flip to atti and watch what speed you get to. Then do it again flying downwind as fast as possible. In those conditions you can go over 70mph!

I too live in an area with high winds, 20mph+ continuous with 60mph+ gusts are not uncommon especially with the seasons change. I've always keep it put away when the winds are around 10MPH+ just to play it safe. Maybe I'll be a little more open to trying it in the wind.

LOL...I live roughly 100 miles directly south of Lake Michigan and had those winds yesterday. My flight seemed to have been more violent then your video. I was around 200ft though attempting to make some speed runs, but couldn't. I did get one off that I had to shut down early and flew 72.5mph. It was absolutely all I could do to get it home. So with not having any sound of what took place, it's not impressive when watching. And standing in my yard the trees were ready to bend in half, but on the video it looked like there was little wind. The leaves were blowing off the tree's and going up as high as I was, but they are worse to see in the video then when you have birds around you.

We were suppose to have similar wind today, but it is only 5mph.

Good idea on putting it in atti mode. I'll do that next time for sure

eyecon82 said:
We had a 25mph baseline wind with consistent 50mph gusts so hard, you almost have trouble breathing.

Let's see how the phantom handles the wind....
The Phantom in GPS mode can fly at or a little above 30 mph.
That yours was able to maintain position is a good indication that it wasn't having to deal with 50mph gusts which would have been more than the Phantom's position holding could deal with.
If you are interested in experimenting in similar conditions, you could try flying upwind to see what speed you can make against the wind.

When flying in wind, use gps mode to keep the wind from blowing your quad away. Use atti for extra power should you not have enough power to deal with a strong wind. Both modes will eventually begin to fly towards the ground causing you to lose altitude.

Dude... The **** house rats think YOU'RE crazy... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wouldn't even fly my $80 Dromida Ominus today... Never mind my $1,700 P2V with RP gimbal... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Hats off to you, sir... :)

-slinger

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj