Flew Away in GPS

Reaction score
Hi all
I am new in this and I had my Phantom on GPS mode and it was flying good until it just started going up and ignoring my control, I moved the left joystick all the way down and kept it there but for around a minute it just didn't respond, kept going up and then it just decided to come down.
This has happened to me two or three times already.
Any idea what is wrong?
Thanks
Mitch

Are you waiting all "warm cycle" while sattellites are locked?
That is waiting just GREEN or GREEN - GREEN flash lights before take off. That may be as long as 2-3 minutes for first flight.

I am very confused with this different colored lights, I have not yet been able to work out the red satellite lights.

Are you over an open field while warm - take off ? Satellite lock requires not obstacles as buildings or trees around.

Here a guide from manuals:

Led%20Status.jpg

Thank you very much for the info, I am over an open field while warm but there are trees near by.

By the way I added the props guards to the Phantom and now I found it harder to control it, is that normal?
Do I really need to use the supplied cord with the guards?

austcoll said:
By the way I added the props guards to the Phantom and now I found it harder to control it, is that normal?

Guards are not heavy. That shouldn't be an issue. Connect to Naza Assitant and do an Advanced Calibration. Then go to field and do Compass Calibration (360° turns firs horizontal, then nose down). Repower phantom and try. The cords are extra safe but not requiered at all.

Thank you so much, will do that.
By the way do you always have to Advanced Calibration after adding the props guards?
Do I have to switch up and down TEN times as well every time I do the 360dgree calibration as well or just the 360 and noise down?
Thank you again

austcoll said:
Thank you so much, will do that.
By the way do you always have to Advanced Calibration after adding the props guards?
Do I have to switch up and down TEN times as well every time I do the 360dgree calibration as well or just the 360 and noise down?
Thank you again

1) Advanced calibration must be done after firmware upgrade, after having a crash or when phantom doesn't flies stable or not keeps hover.
2) Compass calibration (360° dance....) is recommended just when you change your flight field or not getting GREEN-GREEN after warm initialization.

austcoll, you need to spend a bit less time rushing to get in the air, and spend a bit more time reading the manual and watching the DJI videos where Colin explains most of these things.

good luck

austcoll said:

Use the prop guards, especially if you're around trees or other tall objects. While experimenting, I flew my Phantom into the top of a 50 m high Douglas Fir. The Phantom tumbled down through the branches, and then hit open air, righted itself and hovered there waiting for me to guide it away. Would never have been possible without the prop guards. I've never bothered to use the string, though.

As to your first question: it is really important that you read through all the manuals and watch the videos, and then practice in easy ground (open grassy field, no people or obstacles around) and don't fly out too far or too high; you always want to be able to see the Phantom and be able to tell exactly in what direction it is moving when you push either of the sticks.

Before taking off, make sure you have a solid Home location (no red lights after the green green).

Another good tip: go to the software and program the 3rd button on the right toggle to be your Return to Home button; then think of it as being your emergency button if all else fails.

I wanted the extra protection that the supplied "cord" is supposed to provide, but opted to use zip-ties instead. Here's a pic of my setup.

Attachments

• phantom_070513_1.jpg
    phantom_070513_1.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 548
The manuals aren't the easiest to read, but the beginners videos are really worth watching. The first time I turned my Phantom on (only a week ago), the Beep, Beep, Beep from the transmitter really freaked me out. It turns out that that's what B,B,B.B means in the manual :D

The next issue was the flashing sequence of orange, turned out that was the IMU's warming up and you just have to be patientm grasshopper. Then, you try and work out what a sequence of 2 greens means. Aha, means in GPS mode with stick not centred.

I had my Phantom for about 5 days before I was game to fly it. Trying that in the back patio area was stupid. It hit the wall and scraped a few props. Not good. So, I waited until next day and went to a big park :roll: Success! 9 mins of ecstasy. Oh, I flew the Phantom too :lol:

If you've not done this before it's not easy, that's for sure. However, these forums are great, do lots of reading and watching and you'll be right!

Simon....

ayanowitz said:

I wanted the extra protection that the supplied "cord" is supposed to provide, but opted to use zip-ties instead. Here's a pic of my setup.

Wow!!! That seems like a little over-kill. It's almost like wearing two condoms. :lol:

Wow!!! That seems like a little over-kill. It's almost like wearing two condoms

Well, after my (so far one-and-only) Phantom fly-away experience where the Phantom landed just a few feet from a playground full of kids, the more safety protection, the better.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.