Fixing the tilted camera gimbal problem - NOT

Reaction score
For those who read this already earlier - IT IS NOT A FIX. After further testing, it creates a bigger problem.
Like BlackTracer commented, it messes up the IMU and flies with a definite bias.
I wouldn't recommend it. The camera is straight - but it flies with a bias.
For those interested in what I did, I left it in below.

I think I found a fix for the tilted gimbal in the roll axis in the Vision +. Mine was tilted about a degree or two - came that way. It was readily apparent when the copter was turned on and on a level surface with the camera active. You could see the slight angle in roll by just looking at the camera - or the video.
Here's how I fixed it:
1. You have to cheat in the calibration process using the PT2 assistant - make it think it is level. I put the copter on a level surface - and then tilted it by putting one landing gear on my iPhone (about 1/4 inch higher than the other). With the camera facing me on a level surface, the camera was tilted up on the right corner - so I lifted the left landing gear higher.
2. Turn on your copter battery with the one landing gear higher, plug it into the computer and turn on the PT2 assistant software.
3. Go to the Tools menu.
4. Hit Check IMU Status (if you want). Mine says it does not need calibration. Don't pay attention to it.
5. Press the Basic Cali button and let it calibrate.

When I put it down on a level surface, the camera was level. You just cheated it into a "new" level that compensates for the tilt. You might have to adjust how high you lift one end based on your particular tilt angle. Hope this works for everyone.

Re: Fixing the tilted camera gimbal problem

You have "fixed" one thing but broken a much more important thing. The IMU cal!! The IMU is supposed to be cal'd with the craft perfectly level. Otherwise it will likely fly crooked or worse. If I were you I wouldn't fly like this. If you already have and it was all good then disregard anything I have said.

Re: Fixing the tilted camera gimbal problem

I flew it briefly but not enough to see if that was an issue. Didn't have GPS lock. Good point. Curious to get more feedback on if it's a true fix or not.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj