Fixed Wing vs. Rotor and Flight Time

Reaction score
Hi,

I have some questions for those with experience designing and carrying out successful mapping projects:

1) Between fixed wing and coptor-type drones, when would you pick one vs. the other? Do you use different models for precision or better sensing, and another when larger areas are required?

2) Does the battery lifetime restrict the size of the area you can map? Would increasing the battery life make your projects easier to manage, or is swapping batteries not a major problem?

Thank you!

1) Between fixed wing and coptor-type drones, when would you pick one vs. the other? Do you use different models for precision or better sensing, and another when larger areas are required?
2) Does the battery lifetime restrict the size of the area you can map? Would increasing the battery life make your projects easier to manage, or is swapping batteries not a major problem?
1. In general fixed wing is for larger areas.
This ebook gives more information: 2018 Drone Buyer's Guide - Guide | DroneDeploy
2. Yes. But mapping programs like DroneDeploy can map larger areas by using multiple batteries to complete the mission.

Most of my projects are >100 acres. So, I use a fixed-wing way more than multi-rotor. I like to think of it in terms of how many acres can I cover per battery flight. With my fixed wing flying at 17 m/s at 120m with 70% sidelap, I can cover ~460 acres in a single 40-minute flight.

How many acres can you cover with a P4P in a single flight? (I only have a P4 and not going to get it out right now to have it do the math.) Though, assuming P4P flies at 5 m/s, it can cover about 70 acres in 20 minutes. So, the P4P would have to make 7 flights to cover the same 460 acres. (I'm sure someone can correct my P4P mapping math.)

I refer to landing for battery changes as "pit stops". Let's say your pit stop time is 5 minutes. So, 6 pit stops would add up to 0.5 hr. Total flight time for fixed-wing to cover 460 acres is ~40 minutes. Total flight time w/ pit stops for P4P to cover same 460 acres is ~165 minutes.

So I would be asking myself, what is my typical mapping project size? If it is more than 150 acres, I would consider adding a fixed-wing to your fleet. A good fixed-wing w/ camera (A6000) can be had for under $3,500.

Reactions: doktorinjh
We have both and use them like different clubs in golf. Just as @EnvPE said, we chose based on the size of the project (our numbers align with what they mentioned). The multirotor is easier to fly and land, but the fixed wing provides a greater coverage area and has a survey-grade receiver (eBee RTK). The multirotor is able to gather some data products that the fixed wing can't, such as oblique pictures, panoramas, video, and can fly much lower and slower. Having used the fixed wing for about a year, we love it, but I would really look into a VTOL fixed wing in the future.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4