Five Reasons the Phantom 3 Pro' Beats the Inspire 1

Reaction score
I agree on all counts...

What do you think?
I know some of you have both machines, and from reading threads on the Inspire 1 forum, They share equally in the occasional SNAFU department.

I would love to own a trouble free Inspire 1, I just don't have the space or means to transport it.

RedHotPoker

I sore s a faster nicer option. Iike a Cadillac. User serviceability is the 6 th reason. More parts available for the phantom whereas the inside is a pain in the *** to have serviced

All very valid points. Couldn't agree with you more.
However owning both I would like to highlight some of my own thoughts.

The P3 doesn't come with a case. So if you buy a even bigger travel trolley you can place your Inspire 3 inside the case with Gimbal attached and ready to fly with landing gear down. That type of case is not cheap but that wipes points 1 & 2. Also the ability to transform and rotate the camera 270 with second camera operator is of immense benefit for those who need it.

Size - P3 wins. It is a pocket rocket. However the Inspire will tackle 25-30mph winds - the P3 will struggle with those conditions. The Inspire will belt out at 55mph to 60mph - very useful if you want to make a mad dash

Battery life - again P3 wins at the moment. The Inspire could carry a heavier battery payload. DJI have the Matrice which can fly 40 mins based on the Inspire platform. The Inspire is a better platform to develop R&D

Price - of course this is difficult. It is not really fair to compare a small call to a luxury car. Both get you from A to B...

I very much love my P3 and the platform. However the Inspire is a very different UAV and I am sure when the I2 is released it will push the envelope further with ad dons that will make it more attractive.

This type of post usually attracts polar opposites and starts the usual flame posts. This post was hopefully to highlight a balanced response.

Real question is...
Did you feel burnt as an Inspire owner?

I admit... When I heard the P3 Standard was getting 2.7K + POI + Follow etc, I felt a little hurt...
But I feel better now because Mal "informed" us about changes in the upcoming firmware..

I guess it's the same kick in the nuts feeling for those who purchased a P2VPlus V3 a week before the P3's were announced... The Advance was cheaper and better than the V3...

Real question is...
Did you feel burnt as an Inspire owner?

I admit... When I heard the P3 Standard was getting 2.7K + POI + Follow etc, I felt a little hurt...
But I feel better now because Mal "informed" us about changes in the upcoming firmware..

I guess it's the same kick in the nuts feeling for those who purchased a P2VPlus V3 a week before the P3's were announced... The Advance was cheaper and better than the V3...

No absolutely not. I am still very happy with my Inspire and if I crash it I will go and buy another one before DJI can repair it. They are totally different machines. I wouldn't trade my mountain bike for my BMW. I would rather have both..

Reactions: Ferdi
Rumors are that Inspire has better cameras coming for it. It's also got much more lifting power which makes it more capable and stable in terms of handling. Everything else is exactly the same.

Worth twice the price? Only if the new camera is a real camera with the same quality as the BM Micro or Sony RX100IV. Otherwise, there is little benefit beyond appearance.

I have both. I love the P3Pro. Very capable little machine, but not even close to the performance of the Inspire though. When the wind is up (here in New Zealand that's most of the time) the Inspire sits solid while my poor P3Pro ducks and dives like a drunk on a pogo-stick. Also, when chasing motorbikes or boats (which I do on a regular basis) the P3 just doesn't have the oomph to accelerate an stay with a fast moving target. The Inspire accelerates like a supercar and gets a very decent top speed. Add to that the ability for my camera operator to track a subject independent from my piloting and the Inspire is easily worth more than twice the money of the P3Pro.

Here are some other thoughts:

- There are (monster-size) cases that allow the Inspire 1 to be stored in landing mode -- even with the camera attached. So, point #1 in the video isn't really valid.

- The newest version of the Inspire 1 comes with quick release props. It takes less time to attach them. And, (in theory) they are more secure since they cannot unwind. They quick release prop kit is rated for about 200 flights, so it does need to be replaced over time. The kit is very inexpensive though.

- The Inspire 1 has a much wider landing gear base. That makes it nearly impossible to tip over.

Consider the bigger picture......Some of these units still get a mind of their own and fly away for whatever the reason. It's simple math. I'd be much more pissed if 3500.00 flew away than 1300.00. I could buy 2 additional phantom replacements going the P3 route vs. the inspire. Besides the real deal breaker is the fact that they both use the same camera. Panning is a non issue on the P3 if your good enough and if anyone says their P3 is unstable in the wind they are lying.

I love my Inspire 1. It's been problem free. They've sent me first the blade locks free of charge, then the quick release props free of charge, plus all the software/firmware updates. I've bought a ton of accessories and a large travel case. I couldn't be happier with it. But it's a big device. Sometimes you want something smaller - either to carry or to fly in tighter places. That's why I ordered a P3 Pro. It will have it's uses and I'm certain I'll be very happy with it too. I plan on using both of them extensively.

I use Phantoms – love the portability so always will. But I am still considering an Inspire1 for the following 2 reasons:

1) Power and stability. It clearly out performs the lightweight Phantom in stronger winds and gusts.

2) Dual operator and 360º camera. There are just some shots which are extremely tricky to capture with a single operator controlling everything at once. What I'd love to see to push this further is the option to allow the second (camera) operator to control altitude as well.

No doubt a new camera will be coming, perhaps with a larger lens and 4K at 60fps.

Same here but will hold out and see if there is a i2 out.

Will love to get the i1 but not going to rush into it.

I own both and believe they share good electrical components but the phantom body is week inspire is more durable and much more stable in the air
As far as the setup goes I ordered a landing mode case that holds inspire ready to go and the phantom. But it's like my two boxers I love them both.

I have both, having just got the P3P. I got the P3 because I could put it into a backpack easily and take it into the wild.
However the Inspire looks great when it's flying gear up, the Phantom will never match it for looks.

Yes dual controls are a good idea if they had dual cameras doesn't make a lot of sense to have one guy controlling the camera when the second guy can't see where the bird is going

Yes dual controls are a good idea if they had dual cameras doesn't make a lot of sense to have one guy controlling the camera when the second guy can't see where the bird is going
Dual operator pilots generally use the two lenses in their heads ;)

Reactions: SENC
I own both and believe they share good electrical components but the phantom body is week inspire is more durable .

Wait till you crash an inspire.. the H pattern quad makes it very hard to balance the carbon fibre rods. It makes it more difficult because its apart of the transformation system. If the rods are out by a micro millimetre, you are in jello town. And finally, there is no option but to send the machine back to China town for a few months because there isn't may qualified Inspire Techs around..

Many P1 and P2 owners crash their phantoms'. The camera+gimbal may not come out so well but a new set of props will get the phantom going again. I cant comment on the P3 yet because there has only been a few crashes.

Come on guys, let's be honest, when the Inspire folds up the landing gear and you see that...it's game over. :p

Reactions: Ferdi

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20