Fishing Corks On Legs?

hma

Reaction score
After reading some of the horror stories about crashing in water, I wondered about some sort of passive flotation. Has anyone tried fastening 4 large Styrofoam fishing corks to the legs? Could doing so adversely affect the compass? Something like: http://www.floatsunlimited.com/22w4-dz.html.

:lol:
Saw a guy try water bottles attached to the bottom of the motors, don't think it worked. Here's one that works for a pool, although I dont think it would stay upright in a crash or on moving water.

http://youtu.be/fb0ear5g0J8

MHL

1. You'd need a lot of floatation to float a Phantom
2. It would affect your flying - weight & wind resistance
3. Even if it did keep your Phantom afloat, it would probably be upside down

Crashing onto hard ground is also pretty bad.
The Phantom doesn't know what's under it and flies just as well anywhere.
Over water, there are a lot less trees and other obstacles, better GPS reception and great views.
Better to get over your fear of flying and just enjoy it.
5233-9-L.jpg

I bet the game warden would have a chat with you if you tried catching fish with your flying machine.

EDIT: HOLY MACKEREL - I just got off the phone with Game & Fish.
They told me I could use my crazy flying machine to deliver my bait/lure as long as I am fishing and it's not the drone.
I'm surprised. :eek:

This floats well but is way too heavy for my altitude. :D

Attachments

• Amphibious Two.jpg
    Amphibious Two.jpg
    458.8 KB · Views: 496
There were lots of discussions last year about float devices. One guy made a foam yoke that would keep the phantom on the surface, but it almost always (from memory) turned upside down. Another guy attached 1 litre water bottles vertically inclined under each motor and this sort of worked, but the aerodynamics were awful and the aircraft handled like a pig apparently.

The general consensus of opinion was that it wasn't worth it for all the extra issues that the floats would cause.

As mentioned above, the phantom doesn't know it is over water - only the operator does. It can be very disconcerting to fly over water - tell me all about it; I lost a P1 into the sea (video link in signature below) but the best videos in my opinion are filmed when the camera is able to film from a perspective that Joe Public can't reach easily, and the best of these are over open water.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj