First video - Sony RX 100

Reaction score
Beaches of Hel peninsula in Poland. My new DJI Phantom with Sony RX 100 on an anti-vibration mount. Straight from camera.

I hope you like it http://vimeo.com/77254163

a08d9ccb-7a8e-46fb-99ff-c02a488abd4f_zpsf34e1c51.jpg

Thanks. Glad you like it.

I had one fly away when on the beach in Jastarnia, probably caused by the radio tower in the vid. Luckily the Phantom decided to head inlands and crashed in the forest instead of the sea. A nice guy flying quads found it and returned it to me. I luckily also found the camera after two hours of searching.

hasofy said:
Beaches of Hel peninsula in Poland. My new DJI Phantom with Sony RX 100 on an anti-vibration mount. Straight from camera.

I hope you like it http://youtu.be/qkLKm6oRvBA

a08d9ccb-7a8e-46fb-99ff-c02a488abd4f_zpsf34e1c51.jpg

Nice work. I was surprised at the loss of definition in the shade. I thought the camera would have done better. I like the image quality though, good work. I do not mean this statement as a criticism. Please don't view it that way. I am considering the QX100 - same lens and sensor, but lighter due to a lack of camera body.

You must either be wealthy or crazy. With the number of flyaways and unexplained issues with the Phantom, I would never take my phantom out over the water, especially with $700 worth of camera hanging under it. Loosing a goPro was tough enough, and it was only $400.00

Good luck.

D

How did you mount your RX100 to the phantom ?

Are you flying FPV and if so are pulling video off the RX100 for FPV or are you using a separate FPV camera ?

Do you have some of remote shutter release for the RC X100 ?

Thanks
:D

I could not resist flying over water. No risk, no fun.

The camera perfomed slightly better, but import to iMovie and upload to YouTube or Vimeo resulted in some loss of definition. Further, my camera might have got damaged in the crash, as video sentences before the crash seem sharper on the sides.

I mounted the camera on an anti-vibration mount found on eBay, seen in the picture above, attaching it with a tripod screw I got in a camera store. To get the centre of gravity in the middle, I drilled the hole for the screw slightly off-centre. Between the mount and the Phantom I placed a thin layer of Moongel. Despite balancing the propellers and flying slowly, there is still some vibration visible here and there, maybe caused by one engine being slightly loose after a crash on the first day.

I am not flying FPV, but it's in my future plans.

I do not use a remote shutter release. I start recording before take-off and stop after landing.

I can't get smooth video like yours with the rx100 I use under phantom - more trial and error needed with my diy mount
If you want stills, stick a little lump on the shuttter button and wrap an elastic band around the the camera holding the shutter down and it will fire non-stop giving plenty of stills to chose from (rubber band from brocolli bunches from the supermarket work)
getting the best video from an rx100 involves fiddling with the dro
Question? Is the camera pointed straight ahead or slightly down?

Yeah, you should give it another try. In my case, when trying a GoPro mount adapter on Moongel, I found my RX 100 videos unsatisfactory. Anti-vibration mount proved better on my drone.

The camera is pointing straight ahead. It can not be tilted using my mount.

Have you tried recording in 1080p at 50fps or 60fps? Might give smoother output and enables slowmo for even smoother shots.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20