First time post and Flight..

Reaction score
I’ve been lurking around for a while and this is my first post. I did my first flight this morning in front of my house and after hovering and moving in circles. Blam! I ran into one of my home pillars. I then thought it would be better to go to an open park. It was definitely a better experience. Blam! ran into a tree. Fortunately I had ordered spare props. I’ll head out to the park again tomorrow and practice some more hopefully my prop guards will arrive before I head out. I can see this being a fun past time for me and will learn the video recording and FPV later. Right now I need to concentrate on flying this thing without hitting anything! Have a great and Happy New Year!

Cebu, welcome to the forum. Yes they are fun & things do jump out in your path all the time.just take your time & don't get distracted.

I'm sure I'll run into something sooner or later.

Came really close the other day while trying to be a "cool character", zooming over my head while descending...forgot there was a swingset behind me, and came within a foot of hitting it. Wasn't watching the monitor, was just watching the drone, or I would have seen it in the screen.

Darn fun to fly aren't they? "A bad day of crashes and flyaways is better than the best day at work"

Welcome to the forum!

Prop guards are useful as you learn, although it will fly a bit different. But, as this stage, you probably won't notice it.

Did you buy clip on guards, or screw on ones?

Andrey320 said:
Why not get a toy to practice with and then use the Phantom for video / pictures?

Probably because he needs practice time on the Phantom?! A toy drone will not fly the same.

I do have a suggestion though. On eBay you can find decals for your transmitter. Get the type that has curved labels for the stick wells as well as labels for the switches. This will help as in a panic, most of what you learned might go out the window! I wouldn't be my normal self if my expensive Pahantom felt the need to collide with a tree!

I definitely won't know the difference between the two configuration with my total flight time of 15 minutes :) These are the guards I ordered..
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I4N ... UTF8&psc=1

PhantomFanatic said:
Welcome to the forum!

Prop guards are useful as you learn, although it will fly a bit different. But, as this stage, you probably won't notice it.

Did you buy clip on guards, or screw on ones?

I had made a few labels with my printer. They are not curved but narrow enough to almost fit in the angled surface of the controller. I definitely had a panic moment when I reversed directions and the Phantom headed towards me and over my head. Thanks for welcome and tips everyone!

controller.jpg

PhantomFanatic said:
Andrey320 said:
Why not get a toy to practice with and then use the Phantom for video / pictures?

Probably because he needs practice time on the Phantom?! A toy drone will not fly the same.

I do have a suggestion though. On eBay you can find decals for your transmitter. Get the type that has curved labels for the stick wells as well as labels for the switches. This will help as in a panic, most of what you learned might go out the window! I wouldn't be my normal self if my expensive Pahantom felt the need to collide with a tree!

You have the Yaw and Roll mixed up. Yaw about the vertical axis is on the left stick, roll, if it were an airplane with ailerons, is on the right stick. In a quad it's just move laterally, left-right.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr