First time hand catch.

Reaction score
Hand a great day flying today learning with my new p3a. Across yard and over into nearby clear paddock. Near bird strike as hawk came out of no where ( dive bomb from one way up) and then the hand catch...4 gashes in arm blood dripping everywhere the kids go into panic and I am all ( post flight check list, ensure no damage to bird and then stop the bleeding. Lesson learned and next hand catch will not draw blood

How did you manage that?
I am pretty clumsy and never managed that.
Don't catch - hover - then reach up and grab bottom of one skid. Then power down. A transmitter strap is essential if you are on your own.
Hope you mend soon - wear your scars with pride!!!

Reactions: Kenneth Gundersen
Wow,
Sorry to hear about your injuries, that's a bummer.
Yesterday on flight 28 I did my first hand catch as well,
Mine went a bit better than yours, as I approached my
position I rotated the Phantom so the left side was perpendicular
to me, I descended slowly to approx 8' AGL (phantom well
above my head) and grabbed the left rear strut at the same
instant I went full aft (off throttle) on the left stick.
I have to assume other members reading this
do it in a similar fashion ??

Here's the proper way to hand catch:

Reactions: SirAchie and Ti22
I only hand catch in extreme needs. Never had a problem with take off's or landing softly in over a year with two Phantom... No battle scars that way.

Reactions: snerd
I've never landed my P3P - hand catching is pretty easy once you get the hang of it. I live in a high wind area, so it's pretty much required.

Almost always hand catch since I learned about that. It's fun and looks cool. :) Just like the video I always over above head level then walk up to it and grab it, then shut off the motors with left stick down. The only way I could get hurt is if it suddenly dropped altitude, which it has never done.

I started hand-catching early last year, and have never brought 'er in any other way since.

I don't hover at shoulder height, I hover at about 8 feet. This forces me to be directly under it. My reasoning is if it drops suddenly, The skids and the body are between me and the props. By reaching UP, I can fend off a dropping bird, by reaching OUT I'm exposing my fingers, hand, wrist and arm to the blades should she drop suddenly.

I started hand-catching early last year, and have never brought 'er in any other way since.

I don't hover at shoulder height, I hover at about 8 feet. This forces me to be directly under it. My reasoning is if it drops suddenly, The skids and the body are between me and the props. By reaching UP, I can fend off a dropping bird, by reaching OUT I'm exposing my fingers, hand, wrist and arm to the blades should she drop suddenly.
Best to walk up to the drone with you being upwind and stay slightly upwind. That way if there is a sudden gust of any kind, the Phantom drifts a little _away_ from you. Even if there is no wind or little wind this is still good practice. That way you always do it this way and it becomes a habit.

Could you please post picture of your injuries. I'm curious as to how severe it is. I just saw a video of someone who got a big old gash and now I'm scared. Didn't know a plastic propeller can do so much damage.

Best to walk up to the drone with you being upwind and stay slightly upwind. That way if there is a sudden gust of any kind, the Phantom drifts a little _away_ from you. Even if there is no wind or little wind this is still good practice. That way you always do it this way and it becomes a habit.

If I'm UNDER it, it doesn't matter which way it drifts.

Prop guards?
At least till your comfortable hand catching. When hand catching I always have it hovering just above head level at a good distance away than walk up to it, reach up and grab, left stick motors off. Yes a neck strap is very helpful !

Also Do Not move the quad till the motors are stopped or it can fight you and may bite back. Power down the battery ASAP to avoid any possible restart up.

..ensure no damage to bird and then stop the bleeding.
Hey, I get it. I also love my Phantom. Even so, maybe 'stop the bleeding' should have been first? Just saying. ;)

Last edited:
So after watching the video again I have found my rookie mistake. Left stick and wait until blades stop. It bit back. Small gashes in the forearm but no stitching. Nice splash of blood across the p3a looked wicked. All cleaned up and ready for day 2 of flying practice.

Hand a great day flying today learning with my new p3a. Across yard and over into nearby clear paddock. Near bird strike as hawk came out of no where ( dive bomb from one way up) and then the hand catch...4 gashes in arm blood dripping everywhere the kids go into panic and I am all ( post flight check list, ensure no damage to bird and then stop the bleeding. Lesson learned and next hand catch will not draw blood

Did you see the post were the guy let his kids hand catch for him? That was a winner.... ( Still don't know if he was serious? but he sure sounded like he was. )
I'll hand grab with my XC500 but not the P3P.

PLEASE don't send photos! :) it makes the hand grabbers angry as it's safe to do for even newbies. :)

But if you read the instructions that are online for landing the P3's deep down in print so small you cannot read mind you, they have... nothing about it.

PRO's only with good medical should you do hand Grabbing... LOL sorry having a bit of fun....
It has risks you just NEED to understand it comes with variables. Chop, Mince, and blend plus! opp's also liquefy! My Favorite! :)
xCategory-Deluxe-CS.jpg.pagespeed.ic.flwH2UQ106.jpg
piloitcrazy.jpg I'm in a good mood today!

Last edited:
I have always hand caught, P2 & now P3, for me it is just easier, besides, lots of dirt and debris blown around, thing is like a leaf blower below 10'

I agree! I'll take a few hours in ER to prevent a few blades of grass or heavens forbid some dust in my P3... :) Plus it's a great way to deliver beers to guest's! Great practice too! :) Ahahah Oh what fun when these threads pop up.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl