First Test Videos on new Phantom 2

Reaction score
Okay heres my first few test videos put together having had the phantom for about 2 weeks and trying to find some decnet weather here in the UK....

FYI - Shot using a GoPro Hero3 on a Zenmuse H3-2D gimbal 1080 @60fps

Edited in Adobe Premiere and re-interpreted at 30FPS with Warp Stabilizer added.

Let me know what you think....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q_clENBFQ0

mangoboom said:
Shrimpfarmer said:
Yes lovely picture quality but needs some sound for atmosphere. Thanks for sharing.

Good point...! It makes all the difference.

Hows this..?

http://youtu.be/eiHuuW4lVVU

Well I think you can predict my reply ;)

Sooooooo much the better for that music track. Its a perfect match for both the subject matter and also the slowness of your pans and lifts etc. Now if I am going to be extra extra picky I would have halted the rotation in the final sequence (high up looking down on that road) when it hit the vertical. Even if I had to freeze and hold a still frame because the footage continued to spin. Thats just my opinion though. I find I learn more by critiquing others films and asking myself what would I do with exactly the same footage.

I look forward to further offerings in future. ;)

Shrimpfarmer said:
Now if I am going to be extra extra picky I would have halted the rotation in the final sequence (high up looking down on that road) when it hit the vertical. Even if I had to freeze and hold a still frame because the footage continued to spin. Thats just my opinion though.

Bloody hell Shrimpfarmer - you're absolutely right !

Every story needs a beginning a middle and an end and you're spot on - the finish just didn't work and it works so much better like this....

http://youtu.be/HNlJuj8sP34

Thanks for the feedback, sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees (which isn't much use when you're flying a quad !!)

Cheers !!!

Mmmmmm thats perfect for my tastes now :D

I think it has a spiritual quality to it, I don't mean in the religious sense either. From the moment you added that music the slow rise from the beach and even more the very slow descent after you faced to the left reminded me of scenes from movies where they recreate the spirit of someone who has passed over floating back to their old haunts.

It might be your first flights with the Phantom but I assume you must have some previous editing experience seeing how you processed those shots to such good effect?

Perhaps you will critique my efforts when I finally start producing films. The weather in the UK is very depressing at the moment but then again I am in no rush. I have a number of projects in mind when the weather turns.

Great shots in the video. You did an excellent job with framing and deliberate movement.

I can offer a bit of info. From a editors perspective the transition at 40 seconds in the video is a cut between incompatible movements. You cut away from the beach shot as the camera starts a pan to the left then come into a forward tracking shot. Avoid those if you can. For a show reel it isn't important. You wouldn't use that type of movement shift for a real project. It can create an uneasy feeling in people that are sensitive to motion. The sensation you create is much more intense when it is a very wide shot like that versus when you are close up on people.

Interesting comment from shrimpfarmer about he final shot rotating above the roof. Stopping the rotation would give the story more finality. Continuing the rotation could leave doubt in your audiences mind or leave the story hanging. As an example of a story ending - Will the killer return?? If you want to create fuzziness in the ending then don't stop the rotation to leave it hanging. My point is using either would be appropriate depending on what ending the story was written to have. Since you are ending your show reel on that shot stopping the rotation was the better choice in my opinion.

Sorry to blabber on about this. Please don't take any comments as negative about the reel. There is no absolute right or wrong. Just sharing my thoughts as a Cinematographer/Editor.

Great feedback guys.

Yes its Bognor with Butlins in the background and the tower in the shot is my design studio in Essex - I run a digital comms agency - graphics, web, motion graphics, branding (www.pixelwork.com).

I'm more involved in the day to day running these days so the ident animation at the beginning and the filming and editing has been a "Christmas holiday project" trying to remember how to do all this stuff (!) as well as testing out Premiere (used to be a Final Cut guy but have found Premiere much more fun to work with these past couple of weeks (I'm more used to After Effects for motion graphics work).

Yeah all great points LandYachtMedia - I'm a bit rusty on this stuff but really enjoying doing it again and haven't had nearly enough practise filming yet (that footage was my first 3 flights of the Phantom) so I should be able to get much better.I used to be an underwater photographer/videographer back-in-the-day so it's just taking everything 100ft up instead of down!!

Cheers

Matt

LandYachtMedia said:
Sorry to blabber on about this. Please don't take any comments as negative about the reel. There is no absolute right or wrong. Just sharing my thoughts as a Cinematographer/Editor.

You blabber away because I am all ears. The Phantom is sold as 'Your camera in the sky' and that is its main mission in life. By all means we also like to fly it just for fun and forget about the video and pictures but lets not fool ourselves we all want great videos and pictures or why would we bother with Gopro's and gimbals.

We all offer our videos up on a forum like this hoping that people will like them. However I believe everything is capable of some improvement if we are open to constructive criticism. Mangoboom is easy to help because he responds so well.

I used to submit films to another forum where they would really let loose on what they liked and didn't like. It was some of the best learning I ever received. You had to have a tough skin though and keep in mind people are helping not criticising. It reminds me of when I joined the police. My tutor constable told me on day one, "people are going to advise you to do all sorts of things. Some you will already know and others you won't. Never tell anybody that you already know, because if you do they may never help you again." I have seen this ring true so often in life and it happens a lot on forums.

I hope to see much more discussion on the forum about the different techniques people use to improve their videos. I am interested in the technical bits but its the end results that grab me most of all. Especially if the person producing the video or photo is prepared to discuss why they think it worked.

I welcome different points of view because its good to see things through another persons eyes.

I thought it was Bognor Mangoboom, I used to be responsible for that area in the past :cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.