First Phantom - 3 or 4?

Reaction score
Hi All - just a bit of a noob question.

I'm from Australia and for the next few days can get a good discount on DJI phantom models. It would be my first phantom drone, was thinking going for the 3 standard but after seeing the reviews of the 4 maybe it's just worth shelling out the extra $$?

I like the idea of a longer range but after looking at the 3 forum it seems there is an issue with the latest version of the firmware which is limiting range, but then also it appears the 4 is not cracked up as advertised?

Just looking for some feedback from owners who have had some experience using either or both models and recommendations.

Thanks guys!

I have a P3P. If i had to pick one now I would go with P3A unless you want 4k camera. I was also thinking about getting a P4 but I also have some doubts about it!!

Hi abossy,
I am from Canberra and have had a P3P for about a year, and love it. I went for the pro is it seemed tried and tested and with lightbridge and 4K I thought this is going to be good for many years into the future. Also I dont like buying into a new model, let them iron out the bugs and the go for a second or third gen version.

Good luck with what every you end up going with, you will love it!

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

One of the UAV's I have is a P3S and it is a fantastic machine for a small price. Unless you are into flying long distances this is the bird for you. It goes a good 5-6000' stock (location is everything). For a first UAV, it is an excellent choice. In a year or so collision avoidance will be refined and if you are still into the drone thing you can always upgrade then for better, safer features. I would have to say that the P3S is the absolute best buy for the money. If money is no problem buy a P4 and enjoy, also an excellent choice. Right now DJI is the king until someone else knocks them off the mountain.

Guys thanks for the responses - your all legends and this looks like an awesome community!

I'll continue doing some more research in the posts but you guys are right - looks like a toss up between the 3 advanced and pro. I'm a drone noob, so no sense in splashing out $2k on something I might hate in a few months.

I'll let you know how it goes!

I think the phantom 3 pro is a good first for you. That's what I would tell my friends. The P4 has range issues because the controller is inherently weaker than p3p. If you only want to record in 1080, then the p3a is a bargain, same good range as the p3p, but less money. Phantom standard uses WiFi instead of lightbridge for communications, WiFi is old school imho, too sensitive and short on range. Go for lightbridge mate!

Last edited:
I think the phantom 3 pro is a good first for you. That's what I would tell my friends. The P4 has range issues because the controller is inherently weaker than p3p. If you only want to record in 1080, then the p3a is a bargain, same good range as the p3p, but less money. Phantom standard uses WiFi instead of lightbridge for communications, WiFi is old school imho, too sensitive and short on range. Go for lightbridge mate!
The P3S and P3A both film in 2.7k. Also, light bridge is a form of wifi. If you fly by the rules you need to be in LOS anyways.

Reactions: WilsonFlyer
Long story short. I'd go P4 as you can always turn down resolution, but can't turn it up other than getting a 4K camera. The P4 seems to track a more straight line and has more features like longer flight times, flight modes, etc. There again you can turn off features but can't add them if not already there. Not referring to Litchi, just stock platform to stock platform.

Be careful on forum sites as most come here for help and that may cast an across the board shadow referencing a small sample size. It's great for info, but just because something can happen, doesn't mean it will.

I flew both of my P3P and P4 Phantoms today and I'd give the P4 the nod if I had to pick just one if buying new. Both with the most recent firmware and flying approx equal range. I've had several P3 Phantoms and the P4 flies with slightly more authority.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    968.6 KB · Views: 280
I have both the P3 advanced and the P4. I only fly the P4 anymore. It's better in a few categories. Stronger body/frame. Better 4s battery. Better gimbal. The motors might be a bit better because they handle higher speeds. Flying in Sport mode is awesome! (very fast) aprox 45 mph. The props are a little less visible in the videos because the motors are a bit taller.

The props are a little less visible in the videos because the motors are a bit taller.

That's just not true. Put your P3 and P4 side by side and measure things yourself, don't believe the DJI propaganda. Both drones are identical in height. Props are same height. And for the camera, you'll find the P4 camera is 9mm closer to the props, which make them enter the camera view more than P3P at the same angle of attack. It's not that noticeable to most, but you cannot defy the physics of where DJI positioned the camera versus props. The P4 camera is higher off the ground by an additional 9mm, versus P3P. So to set the record straight, DJI didn't mount the motors higher, they mounted the camera higher.

Karma has done things right and pushed the camera out front more to fix this prop problem.

Last edited:
P3 advance has the most bang for your buck . Get one with light bridge you will not regret it. The signal is 10x more stable. If you have a budget get the p3 advance. If you don't mind to spend a little more go ahead and get the p4.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20