First indoor tries (Previously 'Throttle in Manual mode'.)

Reaction score
I was testing the functionality of manual mode without props and noticed you have to keep the throttle down after CSC because with the Tx that have self-centering left sticks the RPM increases to a significant level in the mid position if you let go of the stick.

What I like to know from people who have used Manual mode is whether this RPM will lift a standard Phantom (P1) off the ground or will it still remain on the ground and do you have to increase throttle past the centered position to take off?

Re: First indoor tries (Previously 'Throttle in Manual mode'

OK found the answer myself. It almost takes off. Starts to wobble.

Received prop guards today but since the weather is far from ideal for a first flight and probably will be for some time I decided to do some VERY careful indoors testing this evening, hence my desire to know about the throttle behaviour before I did that. Switched RTH and RAP off and made Attitude Gain remotely adjustable with X2 and quickly ended up using the lower values. Learnt quite a bit about some of the settings I tweaked.

One thing I noticed is that Immediate Cut Off in Manual mode behaves in a rather curious way. Not how I would expect. Had trouble getting it to shut off at all!
Motors kept starting to run again after throttle was held all the way down for quite some time. Did CSC too but am not sure about a consistent way it functions. Not sure whether it's just Immediate Cut Off or the combination with Manual mode. Will research later but preferably outdoors. I kept it in Intelligent Cut Off for now.

One interesting thing about Intelligent Cut off I discovered. Interesting for people I read about who have trouble with the Phantom wanting to tip over while shutting down doing a CSC. When you pull the left stick all the way back the motors stop after a short delay. If you do a CSC they stop immediately... once you reach that position... but before you do you basically give control commands with the right stick which cause the Phantom to tilt/tip over.

However! When you (first) pull the left stick fully back AND THEN immediately 'morph' that into a CSC the motors stop instantly like with a CSC but now WITHOUT the right stick sending control commands first and the Phantom remains perfectly upright. Good to know if you want to cut off the motors faster if the situation requires it, or you just want it.

Also discovered that control lagged in the sense that after I had made a small correction and returned the stick to the centre the Phantom did not immediately respond accordingly but persisted in the movement. Very little room to move in a space of roughly 1,5x1,5m so I couldn't have that kind of behaviour. I suspected Basic Gain was to blame for this and I gradually increased it. With the increased gain the Phantom seemed more stable. I believe I ended up at 155% by the time I noticed red flashing lights. The longest I have had the Phantom in the air must have been 15-20 seconds. I wonder whether the higher Basic Gain is better for indoors or with little to no wind and the lower gain is better for more turbulent conditions to make it react less 'nervous' and save on battery use because it doesn't constantly varies RPM to correct the attitude. Definitely something to experiment with and learn more about.

I have two extra batteries but enough excitement for tonight. :mrgreen: Charging the battery again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik