First Incident with a Tree

Reaction score
Let me start by saying that I am still learning how to fly this beast, and having a good time learning. On my first few flights I noticed that I was unable to determine which direction the craft was pointing when it got a long distance away from me (one football field). At times it would look like it was flying away from me, when I wanted it to come back. Because of this I thought that IOC mode be better suited for these situations. I enabled it and went out for a test flight. First flight in IOC mode was fine. The second was much more exciting. You can see the result in the video below. The problem was the craft got behind me and I was unable to avoid some trees. I ran into a few "newbie" issues and learned a few lessons the hard way. I have since been out with the craft and on at least one occasion while in IOC mode the bird would head in the wrong direction and I have needed to take it out of IOC mode to get control. Anyone else experiencing IOC control issues?

http://youtu.be/B8ogMK0EfcM

Hi,

On my first few flights I noticed that I was unable to determine which direction the craft was pointing when it got a long distance away from me

The first thing I noticed watching your video is that you start like a professional with the quadcopter front looking towards to you. I learned flying helicopters and the 1st rule for hovering was alway to have the copter positioned so that you are looking at the tail. So the controls are more logical.

Mode 2 left stick forward=up, downward=down, left= yawn left, right= yawn right

Mode 2 right stick forward = forward, backwards=back, right = right and left = left and still now when I start I use the DUMMY position to look at the Butt or rear of my Phantom.

Perhaps that is why you got everything mixed up ? On the other side red is fron and green is left which for me means when I see RED towards me = DANGER and if I see Green towards = OK.

Maybe you should start the other way round and so get used with the recognizing the position you are in by looking at the RED and GREEN arn LEDs.

¿?

I assume you mounted your camera facing to the front of your Phantom.

Treees.. always seem to jump out at you when you least expect them! :lol:

But yah,. if you're going to be playing around with IOC Course-Lock, it's ideal to start with the craft facing the "forward" position.
..and also a bit easier to know when the craft is ready for takeoff if the LED indicator on the rear is facing you.

but practice makes perfect

Hi Gordo
When learning to use the quad always start with the lights facing you. Which ever way you push your right stick then that's the way your quad will go. Keep on practising with the lights facing you until you get confident with that......
When I was learning to fly c/p hellis it took me over 6 weeks to learn to hover "tail in" ie with the lights facing you..... Practise will make perfect mate......There are a few good vids on youtube on learning to fly quads....check them out..... KEEP on practising, it will come to you second nature :)

fly-catchers said:
Did you come prepared with a branch lopper? It made a good job of getting it out of that tree :cool:

Nope, I had to drive home, 5 minutes, to get it. It was at the very end of the trimmers length. As this was just a test flight, I didn't go very far from home.

Nice recovery! I'm at the same stage you are. Just getting my feet wet, but having fun learning. It's early yet, so no mishaps so far. No doubt they will come as I get bolder with my flying efforts.

Keep posting videos. Yours was VERY nicely done! I enjoyed the quality and the content.

PF

When I started learning, I tried using IOC, thought it would be safer. Twice though, the heli headed towards a building (towards a tree the second time, actually); as IOC gets confused and it can become completely reversed. I eventually learned to fly manually (meaning no CL/HL).

IceFireSoul said:
When I started learning, I tried using IOC, thought it would be safer. Twice though, the heli headed towards a building (towards a tree the second time, actually); as IOC gets confused and it can become completely reversed. I eventually learned to fly manually (meaning no CL/HL).

Yah.. IOC can definitely get confusing, especially when the craft crosses into the 10 meter range and switches over.
best to only use IOC when you need it (to regain orientation and such). Otherwise most people don't really use it much Id say.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20