First incident aka "flyaway"

Reaction score
Made a rookie mistake recently, noticed that my altitude readings were off by almost 2 meters about 10 mins into a flight. Landed and shut down the bird, restarted and the readings were coerect once again. Even though this is the only issue i have with the bird that has only occured since the last update, i forgot and decided to buzz the top of my big pine trees in sport mode. My mistake was not factoring the possible miscalculation on actual height and flew what i knew to be about 6' above the highest point. This obviously did not end well. Lesson learned for me i guess.....

Made a rookie mistake recently, noticed that my altitude readings were off by almost 2 meters about 10 mins into a flight. Landed and shut down the bird, restarted and the readings were coerect once again. Even though this is the only issue i have with the bird that has only occurred since the last update, i forgot and decided to buzz the top of my big pine trees in sport mode. My mistake was not factoring the possible miscalculation on actual height and flew what i knew to be about 6' above the highest point. This obviously did not end well. Lesson learned for me i guess.....
It is quite common and normal for the barometer reading of altitude to drift as the Phantom heats up resulting in a small variation of a few metres.
Flying close to obstacles is always risky. Flying fast close to obstacles is dangerous.

I'm wondering why you gave your thread that title?
There's no hint of anything flying away.

Reactions: sar104
It is quite common and normal for the barometer reading of altitude to drift as the Phantom heats up resulting in a small variation of a few metres.
Flying close to obstacles is always risky. Flying fast close to obstacles is dangerous.

I'm wondering why you gave your thread that title?
There's no hint of anything flying away.

It is definitely not normal for my phantom to be any more than a foot or 2 off of actual elevation. I have to halt my use of sarcasm on this site, my apologies. Obviously it was not a flyaway, thus the “”.

Made a rookie mistake recently, noticed that my altitude readings were off by almost 2 meters about 10 mins into a flight. Landed and shut down the bird, restarted and the readings were coerect once again. Even though this is the only issue i have with the bird that has only occured since the last update, i forgot and decided to buzz the top of my big pine trees in sport mode. My mistake was not factoring the possible miscalculation on actual height and flew what i knew to be about 6' above the highest point. This obviously did not end well. Lesson learned for me i guess.....

Everything you did there sounds like a recipe for disaster.

It is definitely not normal for my phantom to be any more than a foot or 2 off of actual elevation. I have to halt my use of sarcasm on this site, my apologies. Obviously it was not a flyaway, thus the “”.

A normal range of atmospheric pressure change due to weather is up to 0.06 mm Hg per hour. In 10 minutes, that is equivalent to an altitude change of around 3 m so, ignoring any drift in the pressure sensor itself, that kind of variation is not unreasonable.

A normal range of atmospheric pressure change due to weather is up to 0.06 mm Hg per hour. In 10 minutes, that is equivalent to an altitude change of around 3 m so, ignoring any drift in the pressure sensor itself, that kind of variation is not unreasonable.
Although it may be fun to pick apart someones post, like i said earlier it is NOT normal for my bird to be any further than a foot or 2 off of actual height. I was simply posting my experience so anyone else that may be interested knew where i went wrong. Perhaps my use of the term "rookie mistake" threw people off. I made a rookie mistake but by no means am i a rookie. This isnt the fault of the bird, the tree, the weather, software, firmware, queen of england, etc.. it was 100% my bad, my apologies if is seemed to anyone that it was anything more.

Although it may be fun to pick apart someones post, like i said earlier it is NOT normal for my bird to be any further than a foot or 2 off of actual height. I was simply posting my experience so anyone else that may be interested knew where i went wrong. Perhaps my use of the term "rookie mistake" threw people off. I made a rookie mistake but by no means am i a rookie. This isnt the fault of the bird, the tree, the weather, software, firmware, queen of england, etc.. it was 100% my bad, my apologies if is seemed to anyone that it was anything more.

I wasn't attempting pick apart anything, or even to criticize your actions - just pointing out that such indicated changes are quite possible and don't necessarily suggest a problem.

The 2.5A pull (even for just 45mSec) interfered with GPS. I had to abort the flight and purposely crash the plane.
Or did the current cause a compass error which forced the Phantom to drop GPS data, putting it into Atti mode?
SInce it's a P2 series, you don't have the benefit of flight data to show what happened?
Did you recalibrate the compass with the strobe running?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers