first impressions from a noob

Reaction score
Been reading up on the phantom for about 6 weeks and decided to pull the trigger. So... for all the people sitting on the fence... I would say DO IT.... it's the best out of the box experience I've had with any product.

It is probably the easiest Quad I have flown. I did purchase a cheapo quad prior so I could learn how to fly manual.... that was a pain and difficult to control... but it was worth gaining those skills.

I simply put the quad together, did the calibration dance....Did NOT upgrade or fiddle with the software.... waited for blinking green and it flew like a magic carpet.. stable and tight.

Next steps.... learn to fly and become proficient at atti mode. I do not want to become dependent on GPS mode.

I can already feel the slippery slope pulling me in... FPV next.... f550. ...s800...

Kregh said:
Been reading up on the phantom for about 6 weeks and decided to pull the trigger. So... for all the people sitting on the fence... I would say DO IT.... it's the best out of the box experience I've had with any product.

It is probably the easiest Quad I have flown. I did purchase a cheapo quad prior so I could learn how to fly manual.... that was a pain and difficult to control... but it was worth gaining those skills.

I simply put the quad together, did the calibration dance....Did NOT upgrade or fiddle with the software.... waited for blinking green and it flew like a magic carpet.. stable and tight.

Next steps.... learn to fly and become proficient at atti mode. I do not want to become dependent on GPS mode.

I can already feel the slippery slope pulling me in... FPV next.... f550. ...s800...

That's good to hear and great advice about the firmware. Like we always say, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I also agree with you about it being a good out the box experience, it REALLY DOES do what it says on the box.

Mine will be here mid week and I hope my initial experience is as positive as yours. Question though, what if I wanted to check to see if the IMU might need calibrated after bumping around in a UPS truck for a week? Let's assume that your (our) new Phantoms ship with version 3.16 firmware. Would I download version 2.16 software and driver and check the calibration that way? Woe is me.............always have been a pessimist. :(

I would recommend not checking firmware etc..... if the lights on you new phantom indicate issues like imu calibration.... then you have no choice.

I recommend not doing anything because if you do have issues.... you won't know if it was something that happened whilst checking out the firmware.

Make sure your phantom works out of the box.... then go check the firmware etc. I have decided to avoid the temptation of playing in the software until I have flown it for a few hours.... that way I will know if something goofy happened in the software.... that's my2cents

Kregh said:
I would recommend not checking firmware etc..... if the lights on you new phantom indicate issues like imu calibration.... then you have no choice.

I recommend not doing anything because if you do have issues.... you won't know if it was something that happened whilst checking out the firmware.

Make sure your phantom works out of the box.... then go check the firmware etc. I have decided to avoid the temptation of playing in the software until I have flown it for a few hours.... that way I will know if something goofy happened in the software.... that's my2cents
Your 2cents is good advice! I've been thinking all this over and will try to relax and just have fun flying before I screw around with the software download.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.