First Impression

ianwood

Taco Wrangler
Reaction score
I installed the H3-3D yesterday on my P2 (non-plus version) and so far, the 3D gimbal is looking pretty good. The install I will cover separately in the P2 section as it requires modification to the non-plus P2 body.

Just a quick note on the install, the mount is flush to the P2 body and modifications were made to the P2 to avoid any contact between the P2 and the Z axis motor. It's on the white balls with no anti-drop anything (adding zips today). I mounted and balanced my ND filter as well. I upgraded all firmware to the latest and greatest after holding out on 1.08 until now. After calibrating everything, I took it to my testing grounds.

The first thing I noticed is the gimbal hums ever so slightly when powered up. I don't know what that is. It doesn't appear to be vibrating. It also moves slightly on it's own. The big thing I noticed is it hates the compass calibration and grinds and jerks in all directions. This is not good. DJI needs to fix this.

In the air, I was immediately impressed. The wind was up. 10-15 from the West. Not uncommon on an LA afternoon and a common source of frustration up to now with the 2D gimbal which would yaw all over the place. I did some low passes over the grass to max out the GoPro image sensor. Essentially, I was trying to induce the JELL-O effect given all the talk about it. Results look promising. Note this is all with an ND filter which I think is essential for daytime outdoor use on both the 2D and 3D.

Some quick yaw turns revealed the gimbal yaws into the turn much like adaptive headlights on a car. Overall, the gimbal does a great job of removing all the wobble, yaw and other transient disturbances. However, if you are sloppy with the sticks, it will still show in your footage. Smooth application of stick movements is always going to be a requirement.

Everything is shot in medium FOV and there was only one shot out of 3 flights that "showed some leg". Shooting downtown (part of a project I am working on) where the wind is channeled through the streets and eddies around corners, the gimbal held its own. I was consistently impressed with each shot noting that the yaw wiggles I've been cursing for the past few months aren't there.

For me, this makes filming in a reasonable wind possible. I no longer have to wait for a dead calm. I'm impressed. It opens up a lot of possibilities and the quality of each shot just jumped to whole new level.

Very nice! Expecting my 3d gimbal from B&H tomorrow. Looking forward to your install tips. What ND filter are you using and how do you counterbalance?

So do you think jello should be acceptable without an nd filter? Compared to my 2D there is tons of jello without an nd filter when shooting in sunny conditions. I'm just trying to figure if i'm going to have to accept using my nd filter for most shots from here out.

Thanks for your input...

I was thinking the same about the compass calibration with my H3-2D. They should really make the Phantom cut the power off to the gimbal while calibrating instead of forcing the gimbal into unusual positions.

And what ND filter do you use? :)

+1 on ND filter used.

I'd like to know also how your gimbal is setup (so I can see how the counterbalance work) and also was wondering what area is that on the beginning because it looks like a nice place to fly!

I'm from the LA area as well and those test shots were sweet! Just add some dramatic background music and that'll put me in awe.

Nice footage. I am impressed with the result you get, however I'll wait a bit more before upgrading from the 2D to 3D. Let all the confusion I have read so far surrounding the H3-3D settle, plus may be DJI will have a version 2.0 after some time :)

Looking forward to read about your mods to the old P2 body.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj