First impression of Vision after having a Phantom 1

Reaction score
Heavily edited since first posted-
I just finished flying my Vision for the first time. Got it two days before Christmas. I spent this time making sure I updated everything while waiting for better weather. Having users open the radio to update is a bit off base for a concept that is intended for mainstream users. I have no problems with it but some do.

It's funny I caught the mail lady on video delivering my Phantom bumpers to my house during my first flight.
The Vision flies very smooth and stable. Feels a little smoother than my first Phantom. Not really sure how because the first one flies really nice. Not having to wait so long for warm up like the first Phantom is a big plus. I really like the fact that these blades are smoother and quieter sounding than the first Phantom. No issues on the first flight. Couldn't see the screen on my IPhone very well though.

I came in happy with the flight so next was to look at the video and pictures.

Maybe I should have bought the non vision. The video is decent. The Visions frame rate is a factor when turning. As you turn the Phantom it just destroys the video. You have to turn slow. The pictures are just ok. I believe the lower left is a bit blurred compared to the rest.

I would like to get a nice gimbal setup and goggles. Before buying the Vision I was about to buy a goggle setup and wait for the new Hero to come out. I should have waited but I was online watching videos of the Vision and even saw comparison videos so I got a wild hair and bought it. I should put blinders on sometimes and stick with my plans. Not that I cant still do what I want with this one but I paid more than needed I guess.
All in all I like it so far. Not exactly what I would ultimately want but it is pretty nice.

On a side note-
DJI's customer relations really needs some work. I called and asked about the free battery and about the rebate for owning the first Phantom. They said they were the ones giving the free battery promotion but I couldn't get one because I bought from directly from Amazon this time. Not from a certain group of their sellers. Ok thanks. I have bought two of their Phantoms now. If I don't get bored with this hobby I will definitely look at and strongly consider someone else's products if I want another. These things are popping out really fast now. They are a big hit. DJI needs to watch their back. Customer service and appreciation goes really far with me.

Re: First impression of Vision and new opinion of DJI

I've had my Phantom for about the same amount of time. I think the video is awesome. Without any particulars about what is wrong with your video, nobody can constructively help you. All I can suggest is you check your settings after you upgrade the firmware. Mine is in whatever the default settings are - 1080p, 140 degrees. I may back it off to 90 degrees to reduce the barrel distortion. Overall, I think the Phantom 2 Vision is a higher performance, lighter and certainly cheaper platform than a Phantom+gopro+gimble+FPV setup.

As far as the free batteries, I believe you'd end up paying more from a dealer to get that "free" battery than you did at Amazon.
I got mine for $1,100 and change. You should do some research before you buy something expensive on Amazon - some electronics actually have no warranty if bought thru them, or can be returned, because they aren't a sanctioned dealer.

This ain't my first rodeo. :) I have been flying a Phantom since they came out. I also have been flying helis for at least 15 years. I have been putting cameras on them before most people knew it could be done. Back when the cameras and video was pretty crap. There was no definitive way to do it. You had to create and improvise. I have some cool videos but at todays standards in resolution and clarity....they look rough. Back when gyros were mechanical. I have built many of my own video systems from bullet cameras and the like. Any where I could get one small enough. So I am no stranger to this stuff. The vision camera is a step back from previous cameras I use. Not bad but just not as good. Sure it looks good but I have better and if you haven't had anything else I guess you wouldn't know. It is also hard to go back and not forward.

You say as far as price range goes the Phantom can't be beat. Price isn't my problem. As I said I bought this after watching videos online while searching what's the latest on goggles. I just got caught up in the neat, all in one package. The videos were a bit deceiving. I always built my own Helis so maybe I need to step up and do that with these quads if I decide to keep at it.

It works as it is supposed too. I was just hoping for a little more.

I know it is an all in one system so I couldn't expect but so much. If I didn't have the experience I have with this stuff I would agree with you that it is totally awesome.

As far as being bitter, no I'm not. It's just money. I've spent way more on less through the years. I like it and I will keep using it but hopefully I will find a better setup that will give the same connectivity with a better camera. I put the vision videos next to my Hero 2 and 3 videos and the Hero definitely wins. I can put my Heros on the vision but it just kills the added expense of buying it as opposed to the Phantom 2.

I agree, if you are new to this or not, this is an excellent setup.

As far as DJI goes, it is just odd that they offer the free battery but only if you buy from certain sellers. I did not realize that because on Amazons listing there is a spot where people can ask questions before purchasing. Vendors and customers answer peoples questions. There was a handful that asked about the free battery. Every reply was a yes. If you buy between certain dates. Apparently some of the replies were from different sellers. I was looking at and buying directly from Amazon. I ordered 2 days before Christmas and it was at my house the next day. That's why I buy from Amazon. They are stupid fast with their shipping.
Regardless, I have bought two Phantoms now and they are offering a free battery to some customers and not others? Doesn't make sense. No I didn't pay more going through Amazon. $1199

+1 on DJI still offering the 'best' product at this price point with no close competitors yet, despite of their bad customer service and some issues with the product.

+1 on doing homework, as most of the relevant infos have been posted and discussed in forums (not just this one)

+1 on checking 'authorised dealers' to ensure you get full support from the manufacturer. This goes for just about any products.

I bought mine from Amazon two weeks before Christmas and three weeks after the promo for new battery. I emailed Amazon, they have a same price warranty, I got a new free extra battery. They told me to order the battery, it was $200, and they refunded the money after it was delivered.

From Customer Service Hello,
> Thanks for writing back to us at Amazon.com. I understand your concerns.
> To make this right for you, I've requested a refund of $190.62 to
> reimburse you. This will be issued to your credit card within the next 2-3
> business days. We'll send you another e-mail when the refund is complete.
> Once processed, you'll be able to see the refund here:

buggs2001 said:
I bought mine from Amazon two weeks before Christmas and three weeks after the promo for new battery. I emailed Amazon, they have a same price warranty, I got a new free extra battery. They told me to order the battery, it was $200, and they refunded the money after it was delivered.

From Customer Service Hello,
> Thanks for writing back to us at Amazon.com. I understand your concerns.
> To make this right for you, I've requested a refund of $190.62 to
> reimburse you. This will be issued to your credit card within the next 2-3
> business days. We'll send you another e-mail when the refund is complete.
> Once processed, you'll be able to see the refund here:[/quote

Amazon is cool that way. They have done so much to make things right for me since I have been buying from them. I try to get everything there. Sometimes I don't know how they do it. The free battery was up until the 25th. Some retailers up until the 23rd. I will call and see what they may do even though I don't blame them.

Thanx Buggs
I just got off of the phone with Amazon and they are going to put $159.00 back on my card. :D That place is amazing. I almost feel guilty sometimes. I hope Amazon gives DJI the what for. Not that it would mean much, but.... I am seeing a lot of people confused as to why they didn't get the battery. The ones who bought directly from Amazon. We now know we had to purchase from a legit Phantom retailer. They should have just given a rebate or something. Its not right to offer something to a certain group who are buying the same thing.

Once again Amazon has come through with flying colors. I did have to plead my case a bit more this time.

Phantasmic said:
wincrasher said:
Overall, I think the Phantom 2 Vision is a higher performance, lighter and certainly cheaper platform than a Phantom+gopro+gimble+FPV setup.

Interesting.

Are you claiming that the quality of the video that the Vision captures is better than the video that a GoPro captures?

I think he is. :lol:

Cjrt546 said:
The goprohero black is 1000times better video than the phantom. But a p2 with a goprohero with a gimbal with fpvwith iosd your looking at $1800 or more . Do you really need to be a jack off nerd YouTube vid poster? Can't you just enjoy flying and not post a ton of sht videos of beaches and sunsets with so called cool music isn't it getting old? Grow a pair of hangers!

Why is this guy still on this forum???? :( :( :(

Cjrt546 said:
The goprohero black is 1000times better video than the phantom. But a p2 with a goprohero with a gimbal with fpvwith iosd your looking at $1800 or more . Do you really need to be a jack off nerd YouTube vid poster? Can't you just enjoy flying and not post a ton of sht videos of beaches and sunsets with so called cool music isn't it getting old? Grow a pair of hangers!

Why don't you go and see if you can brush your teeth with your Phantom Props. :twisted: :lol: :lol:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers