First Impact: Piper Twin vs. ???

ianwood

Taco Wrangler
Reaction score
Apparently a Piper twin took a hit to the wing slicing a six inch hole in the de-icing boot at 2,500ft. There was no evidence of blood and guts, so whatever it was is assumed to be manmade. Let the speculation begin!

Drone-Mid-Air-Wing2-1024x768.jpg

Unconfirmed midair between Piper Apache and unidentified RPA | sUAS News

http://www.flyingmag.com/technique/accidents/MiAh0fAeW6vtWmK3.01

2 good things about this story .
1 the plane landed no one hurt .
2 if it was a UAV the operator is out of the game for now .

Well, if it was a drone, the bad part is it finally happened (maybe), the good part is the full scale aircraft suffered little damage.

Wait a minute....the story is missing from the link and I can't find any other references

Better confirm this story......first...

Piper NAVAJO

Last edited:
An Apache with deice boots? That's gotta be the most expensive Apache on the planet.

Reactions: JKDSensei
Looks like a horiz. stab. to me, not a wing.
(details, details)

Wait a minute....the story is missing from the link and I can't find any other references

Better confirm this story......first...

Piper NAVAJO
The first link works fine, the second was a dead end.

So the operator of the plane was apparently an aerial photography company...perhaps it's a setup to try and crack down on the upcoming competition?

The story I found says it was a Navajo
It would certainly make more sense to find deice boots on a Navajo. The URL of the link has Piper Navajo in it. However the title of the story says Apache and the pics in the story show what definitely looks like an Apache parked in a hangar. The incident specs listed below the article show the type as a PA-23 not PA-31.

As for the lack of blood and feathers? That dent is on the horizontal stab in a position which I would expect to be more or less directly in the prop wash. I've hit birds and had them leave very little evidence behind. Its not unimaginable that what little evidence a bird might have left could have been removed by wind and prop wash.

Given the nature of what they typically do, I wouldn't expect that most survey operators are all that nervous about competition from drones at this point. So I wouldn't expect the operator is doing anything underhanded in order to bring suspicion on drones. Drones aren't well suited to cover the distances they cover nor operate at the altitudes they operate from.

However, given the nature of the margins aerial survey companies typically operate on, it also wouldn't shock me if there was more to the story that the company operators don't want the FAA to know about as it may bring their own maintenance or operations into question, i.e. the engine nacelle lost a hatch so we quick replace the hatch and then hey look at this dent in the horizontal stab that we have no idea how it happened must of been a drone or something....

With the horizontal stab? That takes talent.
I know nothing about airplanes or flying them. Just reminds me of what a bumper looks like when one backs into a telephone pole.

It would certainly make more sense to find deice boots on a Navajo. The URL of the link has Piper Navajo in it. However the title of the story says Apache and the pics in the story show what definitely looks like an Apache parked in a hangar. The incident specs listed below the article show the type as a PA-23 not PA-31.

As for the lack of blood and feathers? That dent is on the horizontal stab in a position which I would expect to be more or less directly in the prop wash. I've hit birds and had them leave very little evidence behind. Its not unimaginable that what little evidence a bird might have left could have been removed by wind and prop wash.

Given the nature of what they typically do, I wouldn't expect that most survey operators are all that nervous about competition from drones at this point. So I wouldn't expect the operator is doing anything underhanded in order to bring suspicion on drones. Drones aren't well suited to cover the distances they cover nor operate at the altitudes they operate from.

However, given the nature of the margins aerial survey companies typically operate on, it also wouldn't shock me if there was more to the story that the company operators don't want the FAA to know about as it may bring their own maintenance or operations into question, i.e. the engine nacelle lost a hatch so we quick replace the hatch and then hey look at this dent in the horizontal stab that we have no idea how it happened must of been a drone or something....

Blood, feathers, tissue, easy enough to detect forensically.

However, where do I get more info on the the operating margins you cite?
There's soo much loose talk and facts around here I'd like to research this a bit.

However, where do I get more info on the the operating margins you cite?
There's soo much loose talk and facts around here I'd like to research this a bit.
Well, you could go get a commercial pilot cert and then go work in the industry for a while. That's where I got my information about the industry and knowledge of the margins involved. But I don't know of any source or website which shows the exact margins that aviation small businesses operate on.

I know nothing about airplanes or flying them. Just reminds me of what a bumper looks like when one backs into a telephone pole.
The damage shown is on the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer which sits behind the wing. If a plane were to hit a pole while taxiing, the wing, or possible the end of the horizontal stabilizer would be where you'd expect to see damage.

However, this damage does appear to be within the prop arc and behind the engine nacelle, and behind the main landing gear. A piece of debris on a runway kicked up by the gear tire could easily do that kind of damage in that position.

Last edited:
Well, turns out some Apaches do have de-icing boots after all. All the ones I had ever been around didn't.
I don't think I've got the cajones to go playing around in ice conditions in a 5000lb plane that only has 150hp on each wing.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4