First flight with groundstation

Reaction score
So today was my first flight with the flight station and I must say I was like a little kid on Christmas morning. I set up 3 waypoints and sent it off. It did what it was supposed to do. I didn't have loop on so it just hovered at its last checkpoint. I then hit the go home button and it came back to me and started its descent. Here is where I had a hiccup. It was coming down way to fast and started to thrash around in its own prop wash. I immediately took control and brought it back down. My question is, can I set the speed at which to land? My other question is when taking off I notice a gradual climb to its first waypoint. Is there a way to have it climb first, then take off? Unless your in a wide open field that could be dangerous. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you are uptodate with your firmware I would have thought the descent limitation of 2m/s would apply.

With regard to climb gradient, just set another waypoint close to where you take off from and set that at your desired height.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

Firmware is up to date but it almost fell out of the sky coming down.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

@Mustang32

At what height was your craft at when it started its decent, and how high was it when you took control?

The reason I ask is that if it's higher than 20m it's decent will be quite sharp until it reaches 20m, at this point the female voice will announce that the craft is landing and it's decent will be significantly reduced.

If your Phantom is fully laden you may also want to tune your gain settings as the default settings are optimised for a barebones craft. With the extra weight of the gimbal, camera, and associated hardware the auto-levelling will be overshooting during a rapid decent. To check this put your Phantom into a hover and quickly flick the stick in either left or right roll. If the Phantom significantly swings in the opposite direction before coming to rest your gains are set too low in that axis. If you increase the gain setting so much that it appears to be always trying to make corrections you have gone too high in value and you just need to reduce it by a few percent.

Lastly your question about rate of climb to your first waypoint. There is a feature in the software called one key auto takeoff. Without arming the motors click the joystick button, upper left centre of the screen. This will produce a button and once pressed the craft will climb vertically to 12ft AGL. From here you can execute your preplanned waypoint flight as normal. As with all flights via the Groundstation make sure your throttle control is set to 50%.

Regards

Nidge

Nidge said:
@Mustang32

At what height was your craft at when it started its decent, and how high was it when you took control?

My whole trip was at 200 ft. To be honest I don't know how high it was when.I took control because as I was watching it descend I noticed the prop wash and quickly gained control. I don't think I heard it say that it was landing yet.

The reason I ask is that if it's higher than 20m it's decent will be quite sharp until it reaches 20m, at this point the female voice will announce that the craft is landing and it's decent will be significantly reduced.

What do you suggest I do to land after being up high so that It's safe?

If your Phantom is fully laden you may also want to tune your gain settings as the default settings are optimised for a barebones craft. With the extra weight of the gimbal, camera, and associated hardware the auto-levelling will be overshooting during a rapid decent. To check this put your Phantom into a hover and quickly flick the stick in either left or right roll. If the Phantom significantly swings in the opposite direction before coming to rest your gains are set too low in that axis. If you increase the gain setting so much that it appears to be always trying to make corrections you have gone too high in value and you just need to reduce it by a few percent.

I haven't messed with that stuff but it's definitely maxed out with gimble, mini iosd,groundstation and trx.

Lastly your question about rate of climb to your first waypoint. There is a feature in the software called one key auto takeoff. Without arming the motors click the joystick button, upper left centre of the screen. This will produce a button and once pressed the craft will climb vertically to 12ft AGL. From here you can execute your preplanned waypoint flight as normal. As with all flights via the Groundstation make sure your throttle control is set to 50%.

Will try this next time.

Regards

Nidge

Nidge said:
@Mustang32

My whole trip was at 200 ft. To be honest I don't know how high it was when.I took control because as I was watching it descend I noticed the prop wash and quickly gained control. I don't think I heard it say that it was landing yet.

What do you suggest I do to land after being up high so that It's safe?

I haven't messed with that stuff but it's definitely maxed out with gimble, mini iosd,groundstation and trx.

Will try this next time.

Regards

Nidge

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl