First Flight Today - One Issue

Reaction score
I launched my Phantom 3 Pro for the first time this morning from a piece of plywood in a field in my neighborhood. This thing is amazing, I love the way it flies. After flying small, cheap quad copters, this P3P is incredible.

I had no issues except on my first flight, I selected the RTH option in the DJI GO App when the batter was low. I decided this would be a test, and hovered maybe 30 feet away from my take off point, where I had confirmed the Home Point was set when the UAV first lifted off. The Phantom hovered for a second, the RTH mode was activated and the beeping from the app began, and then it immediately landed where it was in the grass. It did not return to the plywood take off platform I had set out in the field.

It did however land fine, the blades trimmed the grass a little bit, but it was fine. Does anyone know why this happened?

On my second battery, I did not use the RTH mode, I landed manually, all is good.

Your first RTH attempt was too close to the original lift off point. If you're within 60 or so feet of set Home Point the craft will just land if RTH is selected. Phantom user guide Page 14 second bullet point.

Last edited:
Even if your Phantom did return to the home point, I would not count on it always landing in the exact place it took off. It should be pretty close though.

You can still control the P3 during RTH descent too. Also yaw and use the camera etc. Pretty useful feature.

Thanks. Haven't had time to read the manual, got a chance to fly this morning and took it. Will be leaving town for two weeks on business, will be unable to fly. Planned on reading the manual over the next week with spare time while not at home.

I've already printed the Manual and other documents, put them in a binder and have it ready to read. I just needed to get this thing in the air and fly it around in front of me.

Be sure to at least read on checking to see that you have the proper number of satellites and have set home position before take off. Hope you did the recommended calibrations. Enjoy you craft and remember safety first.

Also check out this: http://www.phantompilots.com/index.php?threads/THE-Help-Guide-for-the-Phantom-3.48906/

Suggest reading everything before heading out. Have fun!

I printed out the Phantom 3 guide that is very similar to that one. That's for p2v.

I laminated it and put it in my manual binder. I reviewed it once more and went over the quick start guide before I went out to fly. I also watched all of the videos from DJI and the recommended ones on this forum. And much more.

Be sure to at least read on checking to see that you have the proper number of satellites and have set home position before take off. Hope you did the recommended calibrations. Enjoy you craft and remember safety first.

I did all of this. Will be reading the entire manual before I take it off beginner.

Reactions: Joao Carlos

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl