First Flight - No Prior RC Experience of Any Kind

Reaction score
I ignored my compass calibration trouble and just flew it.

My first flight saw some hard landings but the quadcopter can take a tipover without damage - just a little dirt and grass stain on the props. I had about seven minutes flying and then recharged the battery.

I mounted my GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition on the Phantom using the waterproof case mount which added weight but I successfully flew the camera for more than five minutes of 720 P 60fps at a bend in a rather scenic river near my Tennessee home.

I was impressed with the stability for a novice pilot like me. I was also struck by the fingertip control sensitivity.

I noticed a breeze which came up made the quad a little less stable but nothing I couldn't handle.

I recommend for novices you try to fly on calm days with no wind.

I am downloading the aerial video now to see what I got. Yesterday was my first day of shooting with the my GoPro Hero 3 Black. I had never used a GoPro camera of any kind before. I have been shooting a lot of video with a Panasonic AG-HVX-200. I did a number of test shots on the GoPro at different resolutions and frame rates. The video quality is very impressive.

I shot in Protune mode and used the Cineform Studio software to convert the files to avi files so I can integrate the video into my Grass Valley Edius NLE timelines with other HD camera work. The higher transfer rate in ProTune should give a better quality video and my NLE can easily color correct the somewhat preferable, flat ProTune video clips with no problem.

I can definitely 2nd that flying on a calm day is ideal for a first flight
.as well as in a wide open field.

Or course, I ignored that, couldn't wait, and took mine out in my relatively small backyard the first night, and on a windy day the next day. Fortunately no major catastrophe's, but once things get disorienting it's easy to lose control.

Is there a polling feature with this forum?

Just like you, this is my first real experience with RC and GoPro's.
Neither of which I would have purchased individually, but when I learned of the Phantom a light came on in my head "now I have a reason to buy a GoPro!".

Wonder how many others have done the same.

I'm also new to RC Flying, had my Phantom 3 days and due to windy conditions have yet to fly. Took it out and calibrated OK, but seems the Sats are a bit rare at present, so I checked with my GPS which could only find five.

So when the wind drops, and will check it with my anemometer, and my GPS shows more than 6 Sats, I'll take the plunge.
It is likely to be worrying at first, when I think about the amount of cash invested in that dot in the sky, will it come back safely............ :?: :D

If you're in an open field, it's probably not too dangerous to try it out without GPS, even on a relatively breeezy day. (just so long as you don't go too high or far).

I'm still learning what all the blinks mean as well.
I know that 6 sats = 1 single blink
but what about 2 blinks (I get that sometimes)
the documentation doesn't quite make it clear

page 15 in Quick Start Manual
in gps atti 1 green - no reds = more than 6 sats
1 green - 1 red = 6 sats
1 green - 2 red = 5 sats
1 green - 3 red = less than 5 sats

Well I am not 100% sure, but by my reasoning using the available info in the Manuals, I think it may be relating to movement of the Phantom, after connecting up power and before actual motor start up.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Flashing indications of ATTI. Mode and GPS ATTI. Mode are:
Before motors start: Single blink, all sticks (except throttle stick) at center; Double blinks, stick(s) (except throttle stick) not at center.
After motors start and throttle stick is over 10% within 3 seconds: Single blink, all sticks at center; Double blinks, stick(s) not at center.

ah,. gotcha. thanks
so I guess double green blinks is good during flight.
I'll try to take note of my blinks while flying, as well as on ground. (I think Iv'e seen double and triple green blinks while on the ground)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4