First flight jitters

Reaction score
First off, thanks to all the experienced pilots who post replies, it really helps us newbies learn(; I will get my new Vision+ on December 12th and hopefully I have prepared enough. I have twice read the manual, and the ultimate guide, watched tons of videos, and read what ever I can on the Vision. that being saiid, I'm still nervous about my first flight. Because of my rather remote location I don't have a lot of open spaces to practice. There is a soccer field that looks like a good place to practice. It's about 100m x200m and is surrounded by a wire fence. If I do my compass calibration at center field will the fence screw up the compass? If I do a compass calibration somewhere far away from any fences , towers etc, do I need to redo the compass calibration if I'm within 20 miles of the site of the calibration? I want to get in the habit of doing a compass calibration every flight. I would like to practice flying somewhere other than the soccer field, but the only other open space, is on the beach....and I really am not comfortable flying that close to salt water just yet;(

also should I update all firmware that is available?

I can't see a reason why I wouldn't download and use NAZA ....I know to keep switches up to stay in GPS, but why would DJI warn you to have experience before activating NAZA? I think Home Lock is a great tool if you lose visual...so, should I wait to activate NAZA?

Thanks for the help...

I too was nervous on my first flight. Heres a quick answer to all. Yes, update FM and SW. As been advised only re calibtrate when you change locations. Yes, of to the middles of the field and do the 'calibration dance' Yes on Naza. more options to control the quad. No on prop guards. My opinions here, based on many collective opinions posted on this site. just make sure you get all the lights indicating 'green' and one last thing. Firm and steady push on the left stick on liftoff, get her up 20 feet and let her hover for 30 seconds to make sure all is right, the green lights are blinking and then BREATH

The soccer field should be ideal for a training area and no worries with calibration in the field away from fences etc.
Remember to ditch your keys/phone etc as well for calibration.
There are some people that calibrate every flight but that's like pressing the elevator button 10 times.
Within 20 miles is as good as the same place for calibration.
I calibrated back in May and have flown at locations +/- 200 km from home happily.
If you lose visual - which you shouldn't be doing in the first few flights, your radar display on the app is your best friend.
It shows where your bird is and which way it is pointing, making it easy to turn in the right direction and bring it back.
It's very easy tofly. Have lots of fun with it and don't get too adventurous too early.
You'll have a ball.

Thanks...do you feel that 100m x 200m field is ok to practice on, if I do the compass calibration away from that fence?
Or will the fence screw up the signal once Im flying?
Gracias <:

Fence should not affect the calibration. Your friend is NO trees and tall buildings. Field is perfect

If I do my compass calibration at center field will the fence screw up the compass? No. You would need to almost touch it in a case like that.

If I do a compass calibration somewhere far away from any fences , towers etc, do I need to redo the compass calibration if I'm within 20 miles of the site of the calibration? You must calibrate the compass each time you change the area you fly in. Example, inside your neighborhood, No. Outside the neighborhood, yes.

also should I update all firmware that is available? Not important unless you know it to be something that you read here of it being said to do so. The quad will have the most recent everything software included at the time it came off the production line.

but why would DJI warn you to have experience before activating NAZA? Flying in Naza mode is not the issue. It's the flying feature you can add to the S2 switch that need the extra attention.

I think Home Lock is a great tool if you lose visual...so, should I wait to activate NAZA? There is nothing to be afraid of in Naza. Best thing to do is learn your quad from the flying side, and have some fun.

Take baby steps while you're learning. For your first few flights, wait for almost a dead calm. Full throttle on takeoff and move the Phantom a little in each direction but never let it get too far away - keep it no higher than maybe 12-15'. For my first few flights, I would take off, make some simple maneuvers and land and take off (the fixed-wing equivalent to touch-and-goes.) When you're landing, bring it to a steady hover a few inches over the ground and then slowly reduce throttle and then bring both sticks back to cut throttle. Good luck - I think it's more fun than flying fixed-wing RC.

johncanfield said:
then slowly reduce throttle and then bring both sticks back to cut throttle
Never... ever... ever (did I save ever?) do this. Instead, just hold the left stick down until the motors shut off.

Pulling both sticks down and to the center will also turn off the motors. But, this method was really meant for turning off the motors in an emergency while in flight. Doing so after landing could cause your Phantom to tip over. And, the result of that could be pretty ugly (and very costly).

Thanks everyone for the answers. I can't wait to get some video and post them. Hopefully my first video won't be an
underwater expose <:

Hand catching is easier than landing on the ground. Here's how I do it:

1) Hover the Phantom about a foot above your head with the Phantom pointing away from you (camera pointing forward).

2) Reach up with your right hand and firmly grasp the right, rear landing gear leg (closer to the top of the leg). The Phantom will be weightless at this point, so it's easy to hold.

Note: It would probably be easiest to do this if you had a neck strap attached to your remote control. That way you don't have to worry about it slipping out of your hand when you're only holding it with one hand.

3) Press and hold the left stick straight down until the motors shut down. Make sure you continue to hold the Phantom above your head until the props stop (you don't want the props to hit you in the face).

Done that way. All I'm saying is one mistake and you get a haircut!

Right. If you're not confident with your flying skills, then I don't recommend you try it.

Oh I'm confident enough. After my own flyaway and reading about others here, I just wonder what happens if she decides to get a mind of her own when I'm trying to catch her. Word to the wise...be careful out there...

msinger said:
Hand catching is easier than landing on the ground. Here's how I do it:

3) Press and hold the left stick straight down until the motors shut down. Make sure you continue to hold the Phantom above your head until the props stop (you don't want the props to hit you in the face).

If you have the new Vision + v3 . Throttle lock on this step so you can have both hands free....
That might be the only useful application of the throttle lock in my book...

A lot of P2+ flyers catch their Phantoms.
It's the only safe way on some sites - long grass, uneven surface or on a boat and you have no risk of hurting the gimbal in a bad landing. I used to land my P2 but have never landed my P2+. I hand catch it every time.
Completely safe - put it in hover in front of you and walk toward it, preferably with rotors above eye height.
Grab landing skid, shut down left stick and hold the bird level until it shuts down.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj