First Flight - Indoors

DAP

Reaction score
Ok, so we purchased a P2V+ for Christmas. Unfortunately, it's been snowing all day and I can't wait to give it a try. I have access to a elementary school gym and was wondering if anyone could give me an last minute tips and tricks or do's and don't's. I assume the GPS will not function indoors. I'm not looking to do anything crazy - just fire it up and get it of the ground and try to get a feel for the controls.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

I made my first flight indoor as well. I watched a few videos prior to doing so. This one covers some of the main things.

http://youtu.be/lN5oGR1gTIs

That guy has quite a few good informational videos. Main thing would be to put it in atti mode. Congrats on your phantom.

You can fly indoors but be careful as those blades can hurt if they hit you(or anyone else)

Also I would make sure it's ok to fly in the gym(some may not let you fly a quad this size)

Flying without GPS means that the quad will drift a little when the controls are released. It's more like manual flying in some respects.

Just fly very gently and be prepared to use reverse stick to stop the quad, not just releasing the controls. Attitude will also require more effort to maintain, so when you transition from hover to forward flight, the quad will initially dip, then climb a little. This effect is minimised by advancing the controls slowly.

If this is your first time with any device that flies I would think you are looking toward a disaster. Without GPS quads can and will go where they want to. Learn all about the quad, fly many times outdoors, then learn everything about an indoor flight and give it a try. Not for your first flight.

Hi DAP

If you are really considering flying indoors, keep this in mind:
In order to avoid flip over and damage your props when landing, attach in both landing gears a pair of sticks (balsa or carbon fiber rods works good for a while) and tied up with velcro or zip tie. This ensure that your landings even the hard ones does not generate this issue.

Regards.

If you're going to fly in ATTI mode indoors, you would be wise to pick up a cheap quad like a Blade Nano and practice with that. If you can handle that Blade, you can handle your Phantom in ATTI mode.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic