First drone would used phantom 3 standard be a good choice?

Reaction score
Hello,

Been thinking of getting my first drone.
Don't want to spend too much money. Don't need the best image quality and the standard seems to have enough features.
Do you think this model would be a good choice as for first drone?
I would like to do a little shooting on my coastal fishing trips and on various SUP racing events.
What are the biggest limitations with this model?

Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks
Allstar

All DJI drones are easy to fly. The Phantom 3 Standard would be just as good for a beginner as any other DJI consumer drone model.

Here are a few limitations:
  • The larger size (when compared to something like the Mavic Air or Mavic Pro)
  • The remote controller doesn't have as many functions on it. For example, you need to use generic toggle switches to change the flight mode or use RTH and the photo/record actions can only be accessed from DJI GO.

• The remote controller can only hold a phone out of the box (there are lots of 3rd party mounts available)

• It uses Wi-Fi, so you might run into interference and/or range issues if flying in areas with nearby Wi-Fi networks.
Overall, it's a nice drone and the low price is attractive for what it offers.

Reactions: Astrix
Hello,

Don't want to spend too much money. Don't need the best image quality and the standard seems to have enough features.
I would like to do a little shooting on my coastal fishing trips and on various SUP racing events.

Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks
Allstar
Is a good choice IMO to start with and is a good drone, had one and gave it to someone wanting to learn to fly .Is cheaper and you can see from using it
which way you really want to go. I wish and is just me from being here for awhile
that everyone started with one before they jumped on the higher end models .
I see to many first timers get say a Mavic that will fly 4 miles and end up messing it up and having then to go through the grief of getting it fixed .And it's not cheap .
Every model has it's issues and just read some in here and you will see .
Good luck with whatever you get and welcome to the forum .

I started off with the standard and loved it. But being in a built up urban area the WiFi was affected. If you plan on using the litchi missions or fly in open fields then it will be perfect. But I would push towards the advanced. It makes a massive difference

The standard is a great choice for your first 'serious' drone. You'll love it.

Reactions: dirkclod
All DJI drones are easy to fly. The Phantom 3 Standard would be just as good for a beginner as any other DJI consumer drone model.

As msinger commented, the Phantom 3 Standard is a good choice as an entry level drone for anyone looking to make that type of investment in the sport. Many of us got our start with a Phantom 3 Standard, and many of us still have one. While it doesn't offer some of the more advanced features that other DJI models do, it's affordable, reliable, offers a lot of features for the money, is relatively easy to fly, and is a proven performer. It also shoots video up to 2.7k, which is more than enough for many people. There's still a very big demand for them on the secondary market and, the good news is, there are thousands of them out there, so finding one in good used condition at an affordable price should not be a big challenge. In addition to that, the support provided by members of this forum is outstanding and invaluable to anyone just getting started in the sport. Good luck to you..

Last edited:
Reactions: dirkclod
In addition to that, the support provided by members of this forum is outstanding and invaluable to anyone just getting started in the sport. Good luck to you..

2nd that!... I came here just after getting my Standard last year, been reading here daily ever since, 'invaluable' is right on.

I also bought a P3 Pro a few months later, and only sold the Standard after the guy that wanted to buy it sounded so enthusiastic about getting started. Had intended to keep it - and may yet get another one...

You can't go wrong with the Standard. Best starter drone out there. You will not be disappointed.

All of what the people are saying is true, however a p4 is about 550 on ebay and has obstacle avoidance. I myself am thinking about getting one. Had p2v+ but I was having problems with the wifi module so I sold it

All of what the people are saying is true, however a p4 is about 550 on ebay and has obstacle avoidance.

I would agree completely with that logic. Unfortunately, for many people just getting into this sport, $550 is a lot more money than they can, or want to, spend on their first drone, especially if they wrap it around a tree as sometimes happens. For under $350 (and sometimes under $300), you can easily find a number of good serviceable P3S drones on eBay. If someone has the budget for it, I would definitely recommend a P4 standard as a good value for $550. If not, a P3S is a good choice for an entry level machine.

Reactions: thephantomaddict
I found a really good little used P3 on this forum for $275. I love it and use it a lot more than my P4 essentially because I can use it over water and in close quarters without being terrified I will crash it or dunk it in the water.

It makes an excellent first drone.

Considering you don't want to spend "a lot" of money I think the P3S is an excellent choice for a first drone that is not a toy (Tello). Shop around and consider a refurb if you can find one. I was gifted a P3S refurb by my family last year and it has been a great learning tool. Keep in mind that hardware/software is one thing while photography and the FAA rules are another. There is a lot to learn and keep you busy.

Hello,

Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks
Allstar
dering

I bought my P3S used a few months ago. Now over 70 flights and I LOVE it. I’ve had toy drones , seven of them, in all sizes. I do plan on getting a P3P one day but I’ll never sell my P3S. It has been nothing but amazing. I got it with 4 sets of extra props and a $150 case for $300. Bough some extras for it and it’s been great. Insurance is $30 for the year covers loss, theft,damage with no depreciation or deductible and insured for $500.
IMG_1968.jpg
IMG_2667.jpg
IMG_1969.jpg

Reactions: Neon Euc
I have a Standard and love it. If I had it to do over again I would get the Advanced. It has lightbridge and gets Glonass satellites. The wifi has it's limitations.

I've only been flying drones for about 4 weeks.. got my hands on a water damaged spark and had it repaired and flying within 24 hours. Then I decided to buy a damaged P3S and do the same.. now I'm torn between the 2 of them. The Spark because it is so small and stable yet also agile enough for some fun in sport mode. It's camera features and gesture control add another fun dimension to it whereas the P3S is to me raw, solid and hangs in the air pretty **** well. Never had my hands on a Mavic / Air but you've got alot to help you out here. Good luck

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj