First drone. Need to know if the 3 meets multiple uses?

Reaction score
Hi. Thinking about a Phantom 3for my son and myself. For me I want it to go fishing. Will it follow me in a boat or do a 360 while I have the big one on? For him a Professional photographer in real estate. Thought this could be great for both of us.
Also should I get the bigger battery and which travel case do y'all recommend as we will travel around the world fishing together. Also should I just bite the bullet for him and get the bigger one? Thanks

What do you mean when you keep referring to the big/bigger one?

Ah, the P3 Standard (P3S) vs. the P3 Professional (P3P). If you can spare the $$, the P3 Advanced (P3A) or P3P is the way to go. The P3P also shoots video in 4K. If you have no need for that, then get the P3A. You can compare the differences between all three of these models here.

All three models use the same battery. You should definitely get a few extras. Each battery will only last about 18 minutes (on a good day). But, you should really only fly them down to about 30%, so your flight time will be more like 15 minutes.

The Microraptor Pro hard case is a great choice. You can find a bunch of other cases here if you want to see what else is available.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
Welcome to the forum .
Don't waste your time with the advance I would get the pro . Don't buy used if you are make sure the member has some time on the forum to many members have got burned buying used . Watch yourself if you go used .
GL!

Welcome to the forum .
Don't waste your time with the advance I would get the pro . Don't buy used if you are make sure the member has some time on the forum to many members have got burned buying used . Watch yourself if you go used .
GL!
i thought it was a bit of coincidence also

Thank you all for your candid
Advice!
Does the follow me work well on the 3 pro?
Additionally, hard hard would it be to land one on a boat?

I bought the Phantom3 Pro and wish I had gotten the Advanced. Everything is pretty much identical except the Pro has a slightly better charger (will charge a bit quicker) and the Pro has the capability to shoot vid in 4K.I went with an aftermarket charger so that was a moot point in my decision process.

When I was researching I thought I might as well go "All In" and get the one with 4K but after playing around with it I realize I could have saved a few dollars (invested in more batteries) and gone with the Advanced (which can shoot up to 2.7K which is plenty). I shoot all of my vids at 1080p simply because I don't have a client who wants or can handle 4K yet.

Landing on a moving boat might be a challenge but if the boat is stationary it shouldn't be a problem once the pilot is proficient with normal flying and landing scenarios on land.

In terms of Follow Me I have read people really like it but I've never used it on my P3P so I can't give fair comment there.

I bought the Phantom3 Pro and wish I had gotten the Advanced. Everything is pretty much identical except the Pro has a slightly better charger (will charge a bit quicker) and the Pro has the capability to shoot vid in 4K.

When I was researching I thought I might as well go "All In" and get the one with 4K but after playing around with it I realize I could have saved a few dollars (invested in more batteries) and gone with the Advanced (which can shoot up to 2.7K which is plenty).

Landing on a moving boat might be a challenge but if the boat is stationary it shouldn't be a problem once the pilot is proficient with normal flying and landing scenarios on land.

No experience with Follow Me (I hadn't have a need for it yet). My understanding is you need to take changes in terrain elevation into consideration when using that feature and I live high in the mountains of NC so lots of elevation changes. For that reason I've not played with it any.

I bought the GoProfessional case but the one mentioned above is very good and a few dollars less than my GP case. I would have gone that route but my DJI dealer made me a great deal on everything in one neat bundle so I went that route.

Also make SURE you use a DJI Authorized Dealer just in case you need some tech support in the future. VERY important.

POI, where the Phantom flies a circle works very well. Follow Me works but is less practical. People who have not flown only think about the drone video. They don't consider that you need to turn everything on, do a quick check, launch, get the drone up and then set up the shot. It's not difficult but it's more involved than picking up a digital camera. POI requires that you then fly to the center and mark the spot and then fly to the outer ring and mark that spot. You then need to angle the camera toward to focal point. None of this is difficult but it does not happen automatically. Being on a boat makes it a little more difficult. You may need to learn how to hand catch in order to land. Also, if you lose contact the Phantom will return to where it took off, which means that GPS location. So some experience is recommended. If your son is going to use in real estate he probably needs a 333 exemption from the FAA for commercial use. It's not cheap and requires that someone have a pilots license.

Reactions: doomclam

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik