First crash

Reaction score
Had my first crash today. Older model Phantom 4. Been flying it three years or so. Is it worth sending off and having it fixed. Bent the landing gear and camera doesn't work. Didn't try to start it. Or should I sell it for parts. Have one good transmitter and a spare. Two 110 chargers and one dc charger. Should I have it fixed and I wonder what it would cost?

Thanks. Was flying down the battery here in my yard. While flying it showed " Disconnected" on the transmitter. The craft was hovering about 5 feet off the ground. I turned the transmitter off and back on. Shortly after it throttled up and rose about 20 feet and flew into a tree limb then came down. It has did this several times before. I would just turn the transmitter off and back on and it did ok. I would call it like a runaway.

Sounds more like it was doing what the RTH was set to do... You turned the transmitter off, it detected there was no transmitter connection, it went to rise to its RTH height, and hit the tree... But that is not answering your original question

That is a good explanation. It could have did that. Wonder why it showed disconnected anyway. What should I have done? One thing is I probably shouldn't be flying it here at my house anyway. There are a lot of power lines in the area.
I put the battery in it to see what it would do. The camera is off kilter and I get no picture. It is like it is spring to the right. Won't tilt up or down. The craft starts and still flies. Can these places that fix them give you and idea what it would cost to fix it? I don't think it is worth spending a bunch of money on.
I may be better off selling my transmitter batteries and chargers and getting something else. Thanks for the reply.

Look at this site DDS Drone Repair - Your Drone Repair Shop
Ive used them as well as lots of others in Mavic.
I highly recommend them and are venders in Mavic. Not sure
why they don’t have a banner here.

Another option might be sending a PM to @Droneted, if he is still watching. Very knowledgeable and very helpful.

Wonder why it showed disconnected anyway.
"Disconnected" has historically meant that the mobile device is not connected to the RC. The RC itself remains connected to the AC and you can control the AC with the RC.
Turning off the RC in that situation would trigger the RTH function as was noted by @horsepowerphoto.

If you see something like "Aircraft Disconnected" then that would mean the RC and AC are not connected and RTH would have automatically engaged.

Another option might be sending a PM to @Droneted, if he is still watching. Very knowledgeable and very helpful.
Was last on 11-6-22 so must still look in .

Reactions: BigL
I bought a DJI Spark. Think that is all I need for what I do. I am going g to sell the Pantom and all accessories. I posted it here. If I don't have any luck I will probably go to Ebay.
Thanks for the suggestions. One thing though. If I see disconnected on the transmitter what should I have did. I hadn't thought about return home which I have set for 200 feet if I loose contact. Like I said I was about 5 feet off the ground fixing to land. What should I have done?

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't ha e time to do that. It happened to fast. Don't really know what I should have did. Since I was only 5 feet off the ground I might should have let it fly down the battery. It might have landed itself. I don't know. There are some cases it looks like that you wouldn't want it to return home. Like in my case. If it would have been out in the wide open and that's what it was doing I might have been ok.

I bought a DJI Spark. Think that is all I need for what I do. I am going g to sell the Pantom and all accessories. I posted it here. If I don't have any luck I will probably go to Ebay.
Thanks for the suggestions. One thing though. If I see disconnected on the transmitter what should I have did. I hadn't thought about return home which I have set for 200 feet if I loose contact. Like I said I was about 5 feet off the ground fixing to land. What should I have did.
As others mentioned seeing ‘Disconnected’ usually means the smartphone/tablet is disconnected from the RC. Did you try using the RC to control/land the aircraft? That is the first thing to try.

If the RC has no control, then the aircraft should automatically go into RTH mode (the same as turning off the RC) which is why the RTH value should be set appropriately for each flight (in this case low enough to keep from rising into tree limbs).

Lastly, letting the battery run down until low battery forced landing kicks in may work (not sure if the Phantom tries to RTH first or just lands when close to the Home point).

Haven't ever thought about changing rather altitude. I think it is on 250. I would have to look. I probably shouldn't be flying in close quarters like I was. I won't do it anymore.
I wonder if when it shows disconnected can it reconnect itself if you leave it alone. I was just in a bad place.

DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help

• Post your flight data to get help
  • Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
  • Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
  • That will give you a detailed report on the flight data.
  • Come back and post a link to the report it provides.
You are also welcome to just post the txt file here.

@Meta4 is great at offering explanations from the data.

Reactions: dirkclod
I want to sell all the accessories. Have it listed but no comments. Maybe the listing is not good. I know I bought a controller, charger and batteries off here. Would like to sell what I have.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues