First crash (yes i am a noob, yes it was indoor testing)

Reaction score
Hi all,
Unfortunately, I did something super stupid. I tried to have a test flight inside of my apartment.

As a foreword, yes I am a noob, an idiot, an impatient rookie.

I was having a test flight with my P4Pro. After taking off, it started gliding slowly over the TV even I wasn't controlling the RC and had my first crash. As you may imagine, two props hit really hard on the panel of my LED TV and damaged badly. Luckily, nothing happened in terms of pixel failure - just some serious scratches. Then the drone started increasing its speed and altitude, and I had to hold it from its underside with one of my hands, it was super dangerous and I tried to land but it didn'T allow me. I suddenly remembers how to do emergency stop to turn the engines off.

So I really didn't understand why it glided. And really confused about why the sensors didn't help me to stop crasing into the TV.

Any ideas? You can criticize me of course. I really know that I shouldn't fly the drone inside the house for there is a lot of interference that will cause it to crash. I just want to be enlightened about the details.

I am super sorry and embarassed for what had happened - so please forgive me :/

PS: i got scared out of my mind.

here is the log - i am not sure if it is something analyzable. -> Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

really confused about why the sensors didn't help me to stop crasing into the TV
The log you linked doesn't show anything useful. The sensors were most likely disabled due to poor lighting. When disabled, the obstacle avoidance icon at the top, center of DJI GO will be red.

Stick to flying outdoors in a wide open location or hit up your local gymnasium if you must fly inside.

The log you linked doesn't show anything useful. The sensors were most likely disabled due to poor lighting. When disabled, the obstacle avoidance icon at the top, center of DJI GO will be red.

so the sensors' functionality are completely dependent to lighting?

No. You can also disable them in the DJI GO settings.

Reactions: nooob
Don't blame yourself mate.. everybody already did something stupid moved by, basically, anxiety.. at least a hundred of times?! So, Sh.. happens.. be careful next time and always put anxiety aside regarding your gadgets otherwise this experience can happen again..
Regarding the sensors.. I guess that bottom sensors really depends on, at least quite a bit of light, but the infrared sensors at the side, theoretically, doesn't need light at all..

So I really didn't understand why it glided. And really confused about why the sensors didn't help me to stop crasing into the TV.
The sensors aren't magic and require good lighting.
There are a lot of things that limit their operation.
Here's a list:
i-DGwNx9K-L.jpg

Do your learning flights in the open.
Pick a large, clear area, well away from buildings and trees etc.
Where there's nothing to hit, it's hard to have a problem.

Don't blame yourself mate.. everybody already did something stupid moved by, basically, anxiety.. at least a hundred of times?! So, Sh.. happens.. be careful next time and always put anxiety aside regarding your gadgets otherwise this experience can happen again..
Regarding the sensors.. I guess that bottom sensors really depends on, at least quite a bit of light, but the infrared sensors at the side, theoretically, doesn't need light at all..

Thank you very much for your kind reply and encouraging words - highly appreciated! Next time, i'll do my best for sure!

Hi all,
Unfortunately, I did something super stupid. I tried to have a test flight inside of my apartment.

As a foreword, yes I am a noob, an idiot, an impatient rookie.

I was having a test flight with my P4Pro. After taking off, it started gliding slowly over the TV even I wasn't controlling the RC and had my first crash. As you may imagine, two props hit really hard on the panel of my LED TV and damaged badly. Luckily, nothing happened in terms of pixel failure - just some serious scratches. Then the drone started increasing its speed and altitude, and I had to hold it from its underside with one of my hands, it was super dangerous and I tried to land but it didn'T allow me. I suddenly remembers how to do emergency stop to turn the engines off.

Any ideas? You can criticize me of course. I really know that I shouldn't fly the drone inside the house for there is a lot of interference that will cause it to crash. I just want to be enlightened about the details.

I am super sorry and embarassed for what had happened - so please forgive me :/

PS: i got scared out of my mind.

here is the log - i am not sure if it is something analyzable. -> Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

No need to be embarrassed or forgiven; just chalk it up to a learning lesson.

Being indoors, you were likely in ATTI (non-GPS) mode. That's not nearly as stable as GPS-controlled flight, and would explain the "glide". You can't just let go of the stick and hover; it doesn't have the same stability without GPS.

Not a big deal; nobody got hurt, you learned a lesson and will know better next time.

Welcome aboard - this is one of the best hobbies I've ever had. Love my drones! (P4P & Mavic - not sure which one I love more!)

No need to be embarrassed or forgiven; just chalk it up to a learning lesson.

Being indoors, you were likely in ATTI (non-GPS) mode. That's not nearly as stable as GPS-controlled flight, and would explain the "glide". You can't just let go of the stick and hover; it doesn't have the same stability without GPS.

Not a big deal; nobody got hurt, you learned a lesson and will know better next time.

Welcome aboard - this is one of the best hobbies I've ever had. Love my drones! (P4P & Mavic - not sure which one I love more!)

Hi Murphy, thank you so much for your sincere comments!! I have to study hard for my newest hobby from now on :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik