First Crash with Phantom Standard... Lessons Learned

Reaction score
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This is my first post to YouTube.

I tried a new area for my 4th flight. The others were uneventful. This was really exciting! :) I had a runaway.

Compass Calibration : I got a warning from the app telling me to exit the P GPS mode to calibrate the compass.
I couldn't exit the GPS mode. I shut everything down and restarted away from my vehicle. I was able to calibrate the compass. I am certain I had a Green Safe to Fly in P GPS mode.

Automated Take Off: I used automated take off. Instead of starting and hovering at 4 ft. The drone went up to 15' then started drifting and flying erratically. See the video.

RTH: The drone started moving at greater speed at an elevation of 4'. I tried using RTH on the controller and the
app - no Home Return point was shown.

Forced landing..crash: Since it was headed toward a busy street and a marsh on the other side of the street,
I landed the drone as it was moving horizontally. When it touched down it flipped on its top. The rotors were not running. I did not turn the battery off or shut the motors down. I carefully grabbed a leg of the drone and righted it. The motors came on at full power. Thats when I shut it down. No damage to me or the drone. I was lucky it landed on a very soft lawn. Props were not damaged.

Flight Record: The flight record said that the GPS Signal was Weak. Because the signal was weak, there is no route shown.

Next Time I will: Make Sure that I have the green for P GPS.

Pay Attention to compass calibration warnings.

Make Sure that there is a Return Home location recorded before I take off.

Hope this is of some help to new pilots. The area I tried was an old Navy base. Who knows whats
inches below the ground...

Walked away from this landing...

If you post your log, we can take a look and let you know what happened.

See the instructions below the gray box here to get the log. Post the TXT file here instead of uploading it to Healthy Drones.

Thanks for the info. Here is the TXT file. Lete me know what you think happened. Thanks!

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2016-01-01_[13-00-01].txt
    31.4 KB · Views: 325
Your logs show that you were in ATTI mode the entire flight. That would explain the unexpected drifting. You did pick up a GPS signal near the end of your flight, but you remained in ATTI mode after that (I'm assuming your S1 switch was not in the top position).

Thanks for checking it out. I just looked at my remote - its in the ATTI switch position. I was getting a warning that the compass could not be
calibrated while in P GPS. I must have switched to ATTI to clear and did not switch back. Another lesson learned..thanks again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers