First Crash - Need Advice Please

Reaction score
So I am very disappointed and mostly embarrassed to share this information but I am sure that I am not going to be judged on here.

But I would like to share my event to you all so I can get pointed in the right direction as to what to do.

Thanks in advance for the advice and support

I was flying my P3A today and all is well as normal. I went to land and got a little to close to a tree and made an adjustment to get away from the tree. Needless to say I went the wrong way and flew into the tree branches. From there is was all down hill, literally!!

The bird got tangled in the branches and spinned out of control and came crashing to the ground it hit the corner of my drive way and then tumbled over into the grass. It also threw the battery out.

It seem to have the most impact on the back right arm/motor. Minor scratches and a little crease in the plastic arm. No cracks or bent motor. I placed the battery back in and took off. Just let it hover. It seemed to be hanging to one side. The store I bought it from mentioned to run a IMU calibration. I did that as well. Have not attempted to fly sense the calibration. But I did run it with out the props and it just seemed a to have a different noise. But that could just be me being paranoid.

So where do I go from here?? I am very new to this hobby and love it. But to be honest I am a little scared that the stability and trust worthiness of the bird may have been diminished from this 12 crash. I am scared to send out 1 mile to get the scenic view that I was doing before. Could just be me being paranoid again.

Sorry for the long post but I would greatly appreciate any advice and support.

Thanks again,

N.B.

After running IMU calibration, did you calibrate anything else?

Btw, get ready.....you will soon get hundred's of suggestions.

OK, face it, you [expletive removed] damaged it. I have done that with my first one also. Maybe your prop is hitting the shell, maybe a motor is damaged. Once you get it fixed, which I would send it in to DJI I would learn how to fly in atti mode.

You will learn how to fly when it is facing you, which is 180 degrees different than when you are flying forward. All of your controls are backwards.

Don't feel bad, I have done it myself. Part of the learning curve.
Too many of the people just go and buy this and think it is a piece of cake to fly. Which it really is, but you have to learn!

Read The Fnnn Manual also!

Send it in, wait the couple of weeks, get it repaired properly and learn. Stay away from the trees, houses, etc... Learn it in a wide open field.

I'm sorry for your crash, but this isn't really a toy.

Last edited by a moderator:
but I am sure that I am not going to be judged on here.
New here, aren't you? :D

look carefully at the motor mount screws for any cracks, and also check that none of the motors are touching the shell. Next take the props off and turn the motors with your fingers. They should all feel the same.

BTW, I crashed my first drone so much that I bought a bigger one. When it crashed you know something was bent. Fortunately I have only had a couple of minor mishaps with my Phantom.

You will have to send it in and find out. There is no way your going to get a cost or price from them without them looking at it. Sorry..........

So I am very disappointed and mostly embarrassed to share this information but I am sure that I am not going to be judged on here.

But I would like to share my event to you all so I can get pointed in the right direction as to what to do.

Thanks in advance for the advice and support

I was flying my P3A today and all is well as normal. I went to land and got a little to close to a tree and made an adjustment to get away from the tree. Needless to say I went the wrong way and flew into the tree branches. From there is was all down hill, literally!!

The bird got tangled in the branches and spinned out of control and came crashing to the ground it hit the corner of my drive way and then tumbled over into the grass. It also threw the battery out.

It seem to have the most impact on the back right arm/motor. Minor scratches and a little crease in the plastic arm. No cracks or bent motor. I placed the battery back in and took off. Just let it hover. It seemed to be hanging to one side. The store I bought it from mentioned to run a IMU calibration. I did that as well. Have not attempted to fly sense the calibration. But I did run it with out the props and it just seemed a to have a different noise. But that could just be me being paranoid.

So where do I go from here?? I am very new to this hobby and love it. But to be honest I am a little scared that the stability and trust worthiness of the bird may have been diminished from this 12 crash. I am scared to send out 1 mile to get the scenic view that I was doing before. Could just be me being paranoid again.

Sorry for the long post but I would greatly appreciate any advice and gedsupport.

Thanks again,

The first thing I did when I got my phantom was I bought a new shell. it's it's in my closet. I've never crashed but I have a new Shell waiting for the eventuality

What could be the cost and turn around if sent into DJI?

The cost will be cheaper than flying next week and the whole thing smashing into the ground... Be very careful when testing. Even if it falls a few feet, you could literally destroy your gimbal/camera unit that costs $600-ish to fix.

Post pics. It sounds like the shell needs replacing... Maybe the motor is angled a little...

Do not worry. This is the internet and it really doesn't matter what people say here. :)

Sorry to hear about your mishap. Use the sim to practice orientation. Getting good RC flying, muscle-memory is key.
Rotor guards wouldn't have helped in this situation either.

Thank goodness the Phantom 3 Pro camera price has dropped down to around a nearly manageable $400.00 Cdn.
Still, a gimbal guard may save you. Until you crash it good, then the guards are a waste of money. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Hi, I don,t have much useful advice regarding your phantom, however you could do what I am doing, I went out and bought a £36 pound camera drone on which to learn, it is basically the same technique without the bells and whistles, I have done all the silly mistakes such as sending it into trees thinking it facing thinking was the other way. Put your expensive drone to one side for a few weeks and get your crashes out of your system. Good luck

Reactions: snowghost
Or a $50 X5C. Had mine stuck in trees a few times. No damage but lessons learned.

Or a $50 X5C. Had mine stuck in trees a few times. No damage but lessons learned.
This. While you're waiting to get the Phantom repaired pick up a little X4 / X5 or whatever. They are much less forgiving to fly than the Phantom (no autohover) but much easier to 'fix'. Get some extra props and put the prop guard on. Go backwards and forwards until it is second nature (muscle memory). You will feel a lot better about moving the big drone in tight situations - it's the same thing.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20