First crash!! Gimbal motor overload?!

Reaction score
Total noob flies a little too close to trees and crashes! Ugggh, I'm such a dumba**!! I was totally done with my session too but decided to go back up like an idiot!! Arrrrgh!!

Its not as bad as it couldve been as it was only about 10 feet high and it was in the middle of a park (think open field with all grass). I didn't actually crash into a tree but rather my propellers got tangled in the branches (twig like) and then took a nose dive (so yes technically a crash..lol)

Apart from the grass stains on the propellers, there doesn't appear be any physical damage.

Anyways, after a few minutes of intense self berating, I decided to turn it on to have another go at it but it wouldnt start ..and thats when I noticed the "gimbal motor overload" error in the app. Ok now I'm freaking out...."$900 and 3 flights, and thats it??"

I let it sit for about 10 min. Turn it on. Recalibrate. And it starts up. Propellers kick in! Yessss! The error is gone but I notice the cam isnt exactly straight after it does its gimbal dance after powering on. I'm still sort of freaked out so I didn't take it back up : (

How can I find out -without flying- if my gimbal is working properly and isn't damaged?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Al

Total noob flies a little too close to trees and crashes! Ugggh, I'm such a dumba**!! I was totally done with my session too but decided to go back up like an idiot!! Arrrrgh!!

Its not as bad as it couldve been as it was only about 10 feet high and it was in the middle of a park (think open field with all grass). I didn't actually crash into a tree but rather my propellers got tangled in the branches (twig like) and then took a nose dive (so yes technically a crash..lol)

Apart from the grass stains on the propellers, there doesn't appear be any physical damage.

Anyways, after a few minutes of intense self berating, I decided to turn it on to have another go at it but it wouldnt start ..and thats when I noticed the "gimbal motor overload" error in the app. Ok now I'm freaking out...."$900 and 3 flights, and thats it??"

I let it sit for about 10 min. Turn it on. Recalibrate. And it starts up. Propellers kick in! Yessss! The error is gone but I notice the cam isnt exactly straight after it does its gimbal dance after powering on. I'm still sort of freaked out so I didn't take it back up : (

How can I find out -without flying- if my gimbal is working properly and isn't damaged?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Al
After a mishap like that you may consider an IMU calibration followed by a gimbal calibration.

Don't feel bad, on my 3rd flight I flew into some power lines and dropped about 40 feet to hard packed dirt. Ended up replacing the shell and 4 motors (as a precaution cause there was dirt in them) and all seems to be well with it now after calibrating everything.

I was beating my head against the wall after I crashed mine cause I KNEW the power lines were there and I would have cleared them if I didn't lift up into them!! Right before I lifted I had a "panic" feeling that I was going to hit them so I though to myself "I better gain some altitude before I hit them" *facepalm* oh well, live and learn right? Lol

That worked!! Thanks again!! Whew!!

Note to self: Avoid trees :)

I couldn't help but notice that you've been a member here for over 1½ years, did you wait to buy one?

Don't feel bad, on my 3rd flight I flew into some power lines and dropped about 40 feet to hard packed dirt. Ended up replacing the shell and 4 motors (as a precaution cause there was dirt in them) and all seems to be well with it now after calibrating everything.

I was beating my head against the wall after I crashed mine cause I KNEW the power lines were there and I would have cleared them if I didn't lift up into them!! Right before I lifted I had a "panic" feeling that I was going to hit them so I though to myself "I better gain some altitude before I hit them" *facepalm* oh well, live and learn right? Lol

Ouch!! I don't know if I would've been able to come back from that (as in drop more coin to get back into the game). I probably would've just downgraded to one of those drones you see at Marshalls or Ross.....LOL

I can totally relate to the "panic" feeling. I stopped short of the trees but instead of looking at my screen to navigate around them, I thought I could use my eagle-like eyesight (I was about 200 feet away)...WRONG!! LOL...Live and Learn indeed! I'm a total believer in learning from your mistakes and not repeating them. It's just unfortunate that we're in a hobby where one mistake could be all you get = (

I couldn't help but notice that you've been a member here for over 1½ years, did you wait to buy one?

Yeah I totally lagged. I was initially looking at the P2s but for whatever reason the impulse died. But all it took was one video to get my juices flowing again.

This is where I'll be in about a week :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Reed L
Ouch!! I don't know if I would've been able to come back from that (as in drop more coin to get back into the game). I probably would've just downgraded to one of those drones you see at Marshalls or Ross.....LOL

I can totally relate to the "panic" feeling. I stopped short of the trees but instead of looking at my screen to navigate around them, I thought I could use my eagle-like eyesight (I was about 200 feet away)...WRONG!! LOL...Live and Learn indeed! I'm a total believer in learning from your mistakes and not repeating them. It's just unfortunate that we're in a hobby where one mistake could be all you get = (

$59 for the shell, and $52 for all 4 motors, which I probably only needed 2 at the most, and about 4 hours worth of time (including my goof with the motor wires) and I'm airborn again. I'm really surprised at how resilient these things are.

Yeah I totally lagged. I was initially looking at the P2s but for whatever reason the impulse died. But all it took was one video to get my juices flowing again.

This is where I'll be in about a week :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Yea that's what happened to me basically, was watching but never joined. Went to a meeting with P2's being demo'ed and then watched a tricked out P2 lose connection with the rc when I had the FPV glasses on as I then watched it auto land onto i80, runover by a Kenworth... and blown into a million pieces... so I waited another year+ for the RTH feature to come into play so mine wouldn't have a chance to auto-splat also :)

Yea that's what happened to me basically, was watching but never joined. Went to a meeting with P2's being demo'ed and then watched a tricked out P2 lose connection with the rc when I had the FPV glasses on as I then watched it auto land onto i80, runover by a Kenworth... and blown into a million pieces... so I waited another year+ for the RTH feature to come into play so mine wouldn't have a chance to auto-splat also :)

Oh damnn. So back in the day if you lost connection it would just land itself? Where and how?? That's insane!! Yeah I would've waited too...LOL...I've would've just assumed the RTH feature had been out already....didn't know it was a relatively new thing.

Funny you mention RTH. Today I tried it for the first time. It worked like charm.

Reactions: Reed L
$59 for the shell, and $52 for all 4 motors, which I probably only needed 2 at the most, and about 4 hours worth of time (including my goof with the motor wires) and I'm airborn again. I'm really surprised at how resilient these things are.

Wow not bad!! I think the thing that'll set you back if you F it up would be the gimbal. Not sure what would be cheaper...repairing or replacing.

Wow not bad!! I think the thing that'll set you back if you F it up would be the gimbal. Not sure what would be cheaper...repairing or replacing.
If you wasted the gimbal and shell, but the electronics were still ok I would just replace the parts cause the gimbal/camera is like $349 to replace. Luckily my gimbal was ok, I got really lucky!! Lol

Did anything break on your gimbal? For example a roll or yaw arm/bracket? My drone fell from 10 feet after hitting a sign and fell o to the cement. I have a cracked roll bracket and the "gimbal motor overload" pops up on my app. Took it to the repair shop and they are saying I need to replace the entire gimbal. They said the replaced everything besides the circuit board but said its best to replace the entire gimbal. Kinda hard to believe some people drop the drone from 100+ feet and everything is ok but I dropped mine for 10 feet and I have to replace everything

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers