First crack

Reaction score
What to expect now.

Attachments

• 1472571880662.jpg
    1472571880662.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 337
The best options are to replace the shell yourself or send it into DJI if it can be covered under warranty.

Reactions: phantomi
I always expected to be crack resistant since my shell is new generation as well as the motors, but today in my regular inspection saw this. :(

I also hand catched the bird, never landed and stored in its foamed bag. She always has been cared very well.

The original shell is more prone to cracking. However, some people still do run into this issue with the new shell design. Nobody knows the cause.

Reactions: phantomi
send it to DJI, be without it for about 3 weeks, depends where you live.

Repair takes 1-2 days. someone posted pictures of a new shell they are using, has more support

not true, you can fly it, its not structural damage that will cause an issue.

Its cosmetic. Actually many people don't even repair it

For now I took the precaution to back off a hair the 3 screws at the end of the 4 arms since the crack was at one of them. I found some screws noticeably overthigtened than others. Hope to see no more cracks.

Last edited:
Mines flipped and landed upside down twice, once on a tiled floor and once on tarmac, yesterday I crashed big time, I've sustained some minor damage but checked the shell today and it's as good as new, not a mark and still no cracks

Mines flipped and landed upside down twice, once on a tiled floor and once on tarmac, yesterday I crashed big time, I've sustained some minor damage but checked the shell today and it's as good as new, not a mark and still no cracks
It is a weird thing why some shells crack and others not. My phantom has 4 months, about 100 flies and always hand catched. This is the only stress crack until now.

not true, you can fly it, its not structural damage that will cause an issue.

Its cosmetic. Actually many people don't even repair it
Lol, okay. Do a search on cracks. If it gets worse a motor can fly off mid flight. I think two different people have posted that happening to them because they thought nothing would happen.
My cracks are on top of one of the arms, even with the cracks being there, that arm was a lot more flexible than the other three. The whole body, when screwed together form a unified structure. When part of that structure gets cracks it becomes a weak point. So the results of forward flying, stopping, going, stopping, will just make things worse until something fails. Then you will have wished you didn't fly it.
But, you live and learn.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using PhantomPilots mobile app

It is a weird thing why some shells crack and others not. My phantom has 4 months, about 100 flies and always hand catched. This is the only stress crack until now.
I am in the same boat, about three months old and less than 100 flights, I think 89. Hand catch, no hard landings, no crashes. Always in the fitted case. Out of the blue, cracks around one arm.

Lol, okay. Do a search on cracks. If it gets worse a motor can fly off mid flight. I think two different people have posted that happening to them because they thought nothing would happen.
My cracks are on top of one of the arms, even with the cracks being there, that arm was a lot more flexible than the other three. The whole body, when screwed together form a unified structure. When part of that structure gets cracks it becomes a weak point. So the results of forward flying, stopping, going, stopping, will just make things worse until something fails. Then you will have wished you didn't fly it.
But, you live and learn.

really?? lol, I'd love to see those threads, that stress cracks enabled the engines to come loose.
Like I've said, I've seen tons of threads with people having stress cracks, doing nothing about it, maybe putting on some braces to prevent other ones.

Also most people don't even notice the cracks, as someone who's looked at many used ones, I'd say everyone of the Phantom 3's I looked at had stress cracks .

I just had a crack yesterday in the EXACT same spot. The smart choice is to buy a new frame or send it to DJI but fall is coming and I don't want my bird being ripped apart in California while I am missing great picture opportunities.
I got some bondic from the store and the crack is solid now. It hasn't come loose with a couple flights or grown at all.
If more develop or it grows much bigger, I will send it in. But bondic seems to work great for me despite many here saying you shouldn't use it.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

really?? lol, I'd love to see those threads, that stress cracks enabled the engines to come loose.
Like I've said, I've seen tons of threads with people having stress cracks, doing nothing about it, maybe putting on some braces to prevent other ones.

Also most people don't even notice the cracks, as someone who's looked at many used ones, I'd say everyone of the Phantom 3's I looked at had stress cracks .

Phantom 3 Replacement Body / Shells
Phantom 3 Replacement Body / Shells

Last edited:

There you go. Enjoy
Catastrophic design flaw of Phantom 3
Catastrophic design flaw of Phantom 3

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31