First buy options!

DJI Phantom 3 Advanced vs DJI Phantom 2 + GoPro 3

• DJI Phantom 2 + GoPro

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hi Guys!

I have already started on the Drone scene with my trusty Syma X5C just to get to grips with the overall flying mechanics. I am looking to upgrade now to a more serious platform for aerial photography/video.

I have pretty much been set on the Phantom since first seeing it (must be something about the white look!). I have a couple of options I am currently juggling and was looking for some opinions. What I am really torn about is between a DJI Phantom 2 + GoPro 3 against a DJI Phantom 3.

The only reason I am torn is I can use the GoPro while Scuba Diving and other times on the ground. There isn't too much of a price difference once you add in the gimbal and GoPro to the DJI Phantom 2 compared to a DJI Phantom 3 (Phantom 3 Standard however I may be able to get the advanced for £30 more!) and there are a couple of nice differences between the two models.

Some opinions on this would be greatly appreciated!

As well is it necessarily wise to be looking at eBay auctions for these sorts of things as I can have been looking for the past couple of weeks and there have been some cracking deals some with FPV, FATSHARK goggles etc.

Thanks in advance!

I would definitely go with the Phantom 3 - by the time you add all you need to make the phantom 2 work with FPV you're going to end up paying way more. I know this as I started with a Phantom 2 back in the day with the zenmuse and gopro.

I understand the want to be able to use your go-pro for multiple things... but you'll be surprised how much extra you're going to spend on the 2 to get it to do all the stuff a Phantom 3 can do out of the box.

Having flown both birds - I have been super impressed with the 3. I have the pro - version as I figured it was worth the extra dollars to get 4K now - rather than upgrade to it later.

Good luck!
Alex

Hi Guys!

I have already started on the Drone scene with my trusty Syma X5C just to get to grips with the overall flying mechanics. I am looking to upgrade now to a more serious platform for aerial photography/video.

I have pretty much been set on the Phantom since first seeing it (must be something about the white look!). I have a couple of options I am currently juggling and was looking for some opinions. What I am really torn about is between a DJI Phantom 2 + GoPro 3 against a DJI Phantom 3.

The only reason I am torn is I can use the GoPro while Scuba Diving and other times on the ground. There isn't too much of a price difference once you add in the gimbal and GoPro to the DJI Phantom 2 compared to a DJI Phantom 3 (Phantom 3 Standard however I may be able to get the advanced for £30 more!) and there are a couple of nice differences between the two models.

As well is it necessarily wise to be looking at eBay auctions for these sorts of things as I can have been looking for the past couple of weeks and there have been some cracking deals some with FPV, FATSHARK goggles etc.

Thanks in advance!
Hi Guys!

Thanks in advance!

I just went through this whole process myself. I got the P3P but I was unsure about the camera quality vs gopro. (The camera on the P3P is fine, btw, but really needs an ND filter)
I got the P3P mainly because it has lightbridge built in and cost less than lightbridge alone this time last year. Also it was very RTF, plus the glonas/gps plus the optical positioning... too good to pass up.
But this was not before talking to a pro who uses the P2 with a 3 axis gimbal and a gopro and a 5.8ghz fpv with a black pearl monitor, and he almost sold me on this setup.
Any-who, the P3P is pretty amazing for the price. the gimbal takes some fiddling with to get the horizon level almost every time. If you can find the dough to get the P3A you won't be disappointed

I have found on eBay there to be some great packages that people are selling from upgrades etc. One of the ones that went recently was the following:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281770992754?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

(hopefully that links works)

That setup has everything for the Phantom 2 including FPV and the FatShark goggles with the GoPro included all for around the same price as I can get the Phantom 3 advanced for. Obviously it isn't going to be a brand spanking new product fresh out of the box instead of secondhand from eBay but it made the choice even harder with there being some cracking deals on eBay.

Would you see think the Phantom 3 Advanced would be a good option? I can get it for around £680 ($1060).

Thanks! :)

I only suggest you buy from a reputable dealer people eBay you take a chance .
It only takes one crash to cause problems . I'm from the U.S. hard to trust people now days . I'm a gopro guy so I am one sided I don't like a fixed cam . But from what I have read the P3P is very nice unit and it is a compleat package out of the box .
Don't jump the gun go into some of the other sections on the forum do some reading then make a choice . GL!
Welcome to the forum .

I think Phantom 3 Advanced would be a great option. Identical to the Pro save for the higher resolution and the stronger battery charger. With any phantom 2 you'll have to install so many bells and whistles to equal the capabilities of a P3A you'll almost certainly spend more more. On the flip side, if you crash a phantom 2 you've built up you'll probably be able to reuse some pieces in your next quad. But with the P3 it's so all-in-one I personally wouldn't be able to replace anything except the props and the motors...
I know this isn't an easy decision and I doubt I'm helping.
What other quads have you flown?

Thanks for the replies. That is one of the nice things about the P3 it's out of the box ready :D

I currently have just flown the syma x5c. I hear the phantoms are relatively good to fly with as well which will allow me to learn as well. I have the peak districts just a short bus ride away so plenty of space! :)

Reactions: iquadtography
I learned on the x5 too. the phantom feels like flying a dump truck compared to the Syma. A $1000 dump truck that could fly away and never come back at any moment.
But in an awesome way, I love it.

Been looking around these forums the past few days and the only thing that is holding me back is the horror stories you hear of peoples malfunctioning Phantom 3's that result in them getting lost of sinking to the bottom of the ocean. I wouldn't be able to bare to see that much money be lost because the battery connector was connected properly and it dropped onto the floor.

Is there any recommended starter phantoms setups so to speak that would be a good starting point to see how I get on? Not sure whether to start small or just go straight for the Phantom 3. Just worried about something going wrong! :D

Been looking around these forums the past few days and the only thing that is holding me back is the horror stories you hear of peoples malfunctioning Phantom 3's that result in them getting lost of sinking to the bottom of the ocean. I wouldn't be able to bare to see that much money be lost because the battery connector was connected properly and it dropped onto the floor.

Is there any recommended starter phantoms setups so to speak that would be a good starting point to see how I get on? Not sure whether to start small or just go straight for the Phantom 3. Just worried about something going wrong! :D
If you aren't crashing, You're not flying. Addicted to my standard. Been at it every fresh charge since unboxing and updating. Start where you feel comfortable losing that amount of money. Like anything, Life happens and we deal. Go P3S But get all the must haves. Batteries. 100w charger. Polarizer. ND filter. New iPad. (mini 2) You will be grinning ete within no time.

CK

Reactions: Bag1

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues