First angry neighbor.

Reaction score
So today while flying my p3 around the neighborhood, a man came by in his truck. He stopped in front of my lawn (where I was standing with the controller). He stayed and told me how I distracted him in his back yard. I just replied okay. Then he went on in a sort-of offensive way. I was at all times at least 200 feet away from his house, I may have flown over it when turning on return home. Very small parts of his house may be in pictures I took of his next door neighbor that we know and they are okay with it. I never went below 100 feet altitude. Am I doing everything legal here? Could he have any stance with the law?

So today while flying my p3 around the neighborhood, a man came by in his truck. He stopped in front of my lawn (where I was standing with the controller). He stayed and told me how I distracted him in his back yard. I just replied okay. Then he went on in a sort-of offensive way. I was at all times at least 200 feet away from his house, I may have flown over it when turning on return home. Very small parts of his house may be in pictures I took of his next door neighbor that we know and they are okay with it. I never went below 100 feet altitude. Am I doing everything legal here? Could he have any stance with the law?
While it may be legal it is not a good idea to fly over other peoples houses. Even in my 333 exemptions it requires me to get the property owners permission before I fly over their property. Legal and moral are two different beasts and it depends on how you want the general public to view the hobby. The right thing would be to ask their permission and maybe show them that it don't have the same capabilities as a telephoto lens on a camera. This will help ease their minds when they see that you really cant make out things in too much detail from that high up.

While it may be legal it is not a good idea to fly over other peoples houses. Even in my 333 exemptions it requires me to get the property owners permission before I fly over their property. Legal and moral are two different beasts and it depends on how you want the general public to view the hobby. The right thing would be to ask their permission and maybe show them that it don't have the same capabilities as a telephoto lens on a camera. This will help ease their minds when they see that you really cant make out things in too much detail from that high up.

i did not know this.

i don't fly commercially but hope to someday.

so the FAA will require knocking on neighbors doors if i want to do a POI fly around the house?

almost like inviting your neighbors over to your party, knowing that they wont come, just so they dont call the cops on you for the noise.
good practice. he may even need your services some day.

Reactions: Utah Drone Imaging

are there any altitude laws/rules/requirements if flying over someone's property?

what about Amazon if they get a drone delivery business up and running? guess they will send chain letters out in the mail...

are there any altitude laws/rules/requirements if flying over someone's property?

what about Amazon if they get a drone delivery business up and running? guess they will send chain letters out in the mail...
The current rules are basic for the FAA. You cant fly over 400' and not over people. You must get authorization from all property owners before you fly over their properties and you must have a flight plan filed with the FSDO if you intend on flying over 200'. PIC (Pilot in command) must be FAA certified with a minimum of Sports Pilot Certification. Also PIC and OBSERVER must always have a line of sight of the UAV.

As for delivery I can't see how the FAA could approve the use of drones out of the sight of the PIC and observer like we are currently held to in our exemptions unless they allow this to all businesses. It will be interesting how they rule on that.

Reactions: Airborne
The current rules are basic for the FAA. You cant fly over 400' and not over people. You must get authorization from all property owners before you fly over their properties and you must have a flight plan filed with the FSDO if you intend on flying over 200'. PIC (Pilot in command) must be FAA certified with a minimum of Sports Pilot Certification. Also PIC and OBSERVER must always have a line of sight of the UAV.

As for delivery I can't see how the FAA could approve the use of drones out of the sight of the PIC and observer like we are currently held to in our exemptions unless they allow this to all businesses. It will be interesting how they rule on that.

thank you very much for the information...

Keep in mind, these may be requirements under the 333 exemption, they do not apply to anyone else.

That is, if you want to fly over someone's home or property it's perfectly legal. You can also take photos of video of their home. I'm not recommend hovering over their property or flying at low altitudes though.

Keep in mind, these may be requirements under the 333 exemption, they do not apply to anyone else.
That is correct. Although the way some hobbyists are treating their drones and doing stupid things with them it will undoubtedly cause local governments to make regulations for the hobbyists. We have an association here in Utah to watch for these laws so us businesses can step in and make sure we are not included in them.

That is, if you want to fly over someone's home or property it's perfectly legal. You can also take photos of video of their home. I'm not recommend hovering over their property or flying at low altitudes though.

thanks, i knew it was for 333 commercial flying only.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20