First Airport Notification

Reaction score
I am planning to fly at a golf course in a couple of weeks. I have the permission of the golf course management. But half the course lays within the 5mile perimeter of the Livermore Municipal Airport in California. I havent had to do any notifications till now. How do I go about this? What info should I be prepared to give them? What is the best way to be successful in this communication?

Thank you!

If it is commercial then the airport can't help, and it is surface Class D so would require an FAA authorization.

Which is exactly why I was asking.

Give them your name, contact number, location (cross streets should be fine), maximum flight altitude, and times you'll be flying. Phrase it as an FYI, not a request.

Contact the airport tower and inform them of your flight. It's up to you as to what other information you want to share with them. Technically, according to FAA regulations, you'd also need to inform the owner of the airport. I will say that most (all?) people don't do this if they inform the tower and _I_ doubt the FAA would hold you accountable for this notification.

My guess is that there might also be helicopter pads within 5 miles as well (most hospitals). Technically you'd need to notify them as well. But, as I mentioned above, I don't think most people worry about that. It's the legal way to do it but I don't see it as being an issue if you don't.

Reactions: trevornewkirk
Keep in mind that your Phantom is going to be a distraction to most golfers who aren't on your "friend list". While it's cool to be on video playing golf the other patrons are most likely going to complain and complain HEAVILY. I can attest to this from first hand experience. The only difference is the golf course had HIRED me to shoot their property so they handled the complaints swiftly for us.

Be safe and fly smart :)

Keep in mind that your Phantom is going to be a distraction to most golfers who aren't on your "friend list". While it's cool to be on video playing golf the other patrons are most likely going to complain and complain HEAVILY. I can attest to this from first hand experience. The only difference is the golf course had HIRED me to shoot their property so they handled the complaints swiftly for us.

Be safe and fly smart :)

Thank you, I'll do my best to keep it away from others.

You can always call the airport ahead of time and ask them what their procedure is.

In my metro area, for example, you call the the tower and then notify the metro airport commission for any airports under their jurisdiction. The towers usually just want to know generally where I'm flying and at what max altitude, it's a 30 second call. The metro airport commission takes more specific flight and contact info (address where I'm flying, altitude, my address, reg #, phone, etc). I've never had any problems.

While you are technically "notifying" rather than asking "permission", I can imagine you could put yourself in a dubious legal position if anyone denies you and something were to happen (we told you so ...), but IANAL.

We do an event literally right across the river from our airport. Last year my buddy brought out his drone. when I called the airport to get permission, they were cool. The tower said stay under 75 feet and DO NOT cross the rivers midway point. We had no issues at all.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31