Firmware v3.04

Reaction score
@Phantom 2 Main Controller Firmware* v3.04 2014-05-21

They release the new firmware today but on newsletter on Assitant Software don't say nothing to solve magnetic declination problem

i think DJI is making fool of us...

I wish they'd post the release notes somewhere obvious, I'd like to see what it says without having to wait until I get home and can plug my Phantom in

It is published.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=15898

It says:

Firmware Updates on May 21
Overview:
a) Main controller firmware updated to: v3.04.
Major New Features:
a) Stability when carrying heavy payloads improved.
b) Flight restriction database updated.

ah so very minor eh. thanks for that

That function is only for the vision and vision + and not for a normal P2.

It's new, and yes only for Vision owners because of the integrated SD storage capacity. Exciting possibilities for Vision owners.

ElGuano said:
It's new, and yes only for Vision owners because of the integrated SD storage capacity. Exciting possibilities for Vision owners.
+1
This could also be the final step before we get way points! Fingers crossed!!

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Can someone please talk me through doing the update. I don't want to take the chance of doing on my own and screwing up somehow.

have you done ANY updates yet to your Phantom or is this your very first one? If it's your first, make sure you do the RC first. There's a small firmware update via the RC Assistant software, THEN do the Phantom updates via Phantom Assistant.

especially if you've never done one before and you're likely on the v1 firmware, make sure you clearly understand all the changes, there are quite a few including no-fly areas (near airports) where your Phantom will be height-limited or in some cases not take off at all but you shouldn't be flying near airports anyway so to me this is fine.

more noticeable will be that they've rate limited your descent to 2 meters per second. This is quite a change if you're used to the rapid descent allowed in version 1 firmware.

Here's your basic process:
-download and install DJI WIN driver pack from dji website
-download and install RC assistant software. plug in the RC via USB, run the RC assistant and allow the upgrade. Power cycle RC and then sticks can be tested in the software. Run Calibration if desired, or heck just run it anyway.
download and install Phantom Assistant software. Attach Phantom via USB, it will prompt with all available updates and if you choose, you may allow them to run. Power cycle the Phantom, then test and calibrate the RC sticks using the Phantom assistant software. Again, run a stick calibration this time in PA software because why not.

that's basically it you're ready to fly again. thoroughly test controls, etc. before you go flying off long distance.

Avidphoto said:
Can someone please talk me through doing the update. I don't want to take the chance of doing on my own and screwing up somehow.

Youtube has a lot of tutorials and how to's, anyone make the update yet, any differences of old one, about the problems?

onfourblades said:
more heavy payload stability.... how much weight do they want the p2 to lift lol.... its just a little guy

Moar payload!! Soon we will be able to fly with missiles! :mrgreen:

The stability improvement when carrying heavier payloads was already added in the previous update. I personally don't think there is really anything improved. DJI has already in the past told users what the payload capacity on the P2 roughly should be. I haven't seen anyone flying really heavy payloads and most customers are complaining about Compass and J-Hook issues which DJI has not corrected in any update.

The Last update where they mentioned Stability Improvements when carrying heavier payloads, they also included a descent rate restriction.

The new update 3.04 mentions improved stability when carrying heavier payloads
You will also notice that they slipped in another restriction! (Flight Area Restriction update)

My personal feeling is what DJI is really doing with their updates is stating some kind of interesting yet vague improvement (Teaser) and slipping in a CYA (Cover Your ***) Restriction.

So far with all the recent updates I have seen nothing that really addresses customer complaint issues but does add more restrictions on the customers use of the product.

So far, regarding the P2, it appears that DJI is constantly dictating and limiting our use of the product which when originally released, gave us the freedom to explore and enjoy our P2.

Just my thoughts on the topic.

Anyone noticed these new flight area restrictions yet? I'm guessing more airports have been added. I wonder if they have updated the airport restriction page yet? Off to have a look now.

*edit* Had a look at http://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-mc I can't see anything different although I dont remember all the airports that were listed before. The one near where I fly still isn't listed thank god.

Xrover said:
The stability improvement when carrying heavier payloads was already added in the previous update. I personally don't think there is really anything improved. DJI has already in the past told users what the payload capacity on the P2 roughly should be. I haven't seen anyone flying really heavy payloads and most customers are complaining about Compass and J-Hook issues which DJI has not corrected in any update.

The Last update where they mentioned Stability Improvements when carrying heavier payloads, they also included a descent rate restriction.

The new update 3.04 mentions improved stability when carrying heavier payloads
You will also notice that they slipped in another restriction! (Flight Area Restriction update)

My personal feeling is what DJI is really doing with their updates is stating some kind of interesting yet vague improvement (Teaser) and slipping in a CYA (Cover Your ***) Restriction.

So far with all the recent updates I have seen nothing that really addresses customer complaint issues but does add more restrictions on the customers use of the product.

So far, regarding the P2, it appears that DJI is constantly dictating and limiting our use of the product which when originally released, gave us the freedom to explore and enjoy our P2.

Just my thoughts on the topic.

I think there will continue to be restrictions being 'built-it' or passed down especially in RTF or near-RTF a/c.
Some will be hacked and others won't.

Manufacturers have to be proactive with regards to liability.

There has been plenty of editorializing about where this all going. In part due to a paradigm shift in the experience of the operators of these systems. Used to be you got a plane or heli kit, went to a club field, and learned how to fly with instructors in safe(r) controlled conditions.

Now UPS brings it to your door, you charge the battery, read a manual???, and go toss it in the air with little to no r/c experience.

With all r/c vehicles failures and mishaps occur. Now there happening in your front yard, downtown, etc.

What can go wrong?

Some users have reported that the new no-fly rules include relaxations from the previous version. Airports that had been in class A are now class B, etc.

Nothing was said about the compass issue however……………..After doing the update and going out for a flight I was shocked when the P2 flew straight as an arrow and my local football field? Every other test I did before it would start the J hook around the 40-50 yard line. Yesterday it flew straight all the way down. I thought it was a fluke so I powered down, swapped the battery for a new one, did another compass calibration and it flew straight again. I'm in 19075

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31