Firmware upgrade Bricked my Phantom

Reaction score
I've had my P2 since the beginning of January '14 and never had any problems with it. Lately I experienced some problem with the video preview link between the P2 and my iphone so I had the bad idea to upgrade the firmware to see if the problem could be solved.

Trying to upgrade the RC something went wrong during the procedure popping an error window on my computer. Now the RC doesent even start, when i plug the usb the rc sw doesen't see it so I can't try to redo the upgrade procedure.

The same happened on the phantom, error during the upgrade and now when i turn it on it keep beeping and the software don't see the phantom connected even if the usp is correctly plugged in.

So.. RC and P2 completed bricked.

Does anyone have a solution for this embarassing DJI fail?

thanks!

Hello,
1) Tx,
Open Tx, there is a small BLACK reset button ( may or may not work? )
But worth a try.
2) Phantom
There is a HARD RESET procedure, you'll need a jumper cable like this one ( I have some if you can't find one )
image.jpeg

There are YouTube videos on this, you open bird, hook jumper from ( F1 com port ( bottom pin )), and other end to ( F2 com port ( bottom pin )),
On you hook to assistant, and turn bird on, the jumper wire fools assistant software into thinking it is a new naza, and forces boot to load to it, it will say VERSION 00:00:00:00,
Then from there you simply load new firmware.
Once you load new firmware, you turn off bird, pull jumper out, YOU MUST, do an advanced IMU calibration, followed by a FRESH COMPASS calibration!.

Other than that might be a computer glitch? Weird both failed? Maybe cable bad? Lots of possibilities!

PLEASE : watch the YouTube videos, and learn it step by step, before you attempt! I've done this several times myself, without a hitch, and is really easy, just make sure wire in the right spot ect. Most say this deletes your firmware, but that is not true, it only FOOLS it into believing it has none, if you remove the jumper before you load new firmware, your old firmware will still be there ( assuming it was a good install the time before ), but WILL require IMU & COMPASS calibration!

Hope this helps!
J Dot
:cool:

Keep us updated!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    875.5 KB · Views: 437
thank you so much for the detailed instructions. I solved both my problem and uploaded succesfully the new FW both on the drone and on the controller.

But now I have another problem.. :( I can't see the video preview in the DJI Vision app, it connect correctly to the drone, I see all the parameters, media on the SD card and everything.. but in the camera live preview i see all black with the tipical loading circular animation. The gimbal is plugged correctly, the camera is working because I see the photo i shot on the SD.

Any idea?

Thanks again

First,
With power OFF,
Make sure all connections are fully inserted, and tight.
Then try to:
Lower you preview quality in camera settings menu, if still no, try to delete and reinstall your app ( if it is older version ( save to iTunes first if Apple ) so you can go back if you need, reload the app, power cycle your device , try again,
if still no try:
to rebind the extender to camera using qr code or Mac addy ( if you don't know it ( retrieve it from app first BEFORE you rebind it. It is under binding app settings menu ( 60:60:1f:??:??:?? ) the ?'s are your address numbers 6 of them.
There are several YouTube videos on this.

Let us know,
Glad she's flying again, A+, we knew you could do it!:cool:

J Dot

Does higher resolution increase the WiFi temp ? Is it smart to fly in 640x480 15 or 30 fps ? Or stick to the 320x240 ?

Not sure about that on the plus models, but I know my iPhone won't receive 60fps, seizes up, then a bad delay in FPV, only gets worse until it freezes all together! I run 640x480 15fps, in my vision. Works great with my iPhone 4s. I've been working on a fan mod for the plus birds, to keep wifi units cooler, here is a video of my first prototype ( installed on a p2v not plus )
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Still working on the mount, have a guy building parts from 3D printer. These will be plug-n-play when all done, slip it in, plug it in, COOL RUNNINGS! Aye!
Hopefully it will help!

J Dot

As for running hotter, I don't know how much difference in actual wifi unit temp, running one quality versus another? I've never tested it out, sorry. Remember I fly a v not v+.
Maybe my next build will be a plus?

Take care, Fly safe.

First,
With power OFF,
Make sure all connections are fully inserted, and tight.
Then try to:
Lower you preview quality in camera settings menu, if still no, try to delete and reinstall your app ( if it is older version ( save to iTunes first if Apple ) so you can go back if you need, reload the app, power cycle your device , try again,
if still no try:
to rebind the extender to camera using qr code or Mac addy ( if you don't know it ( retrieve it from app first BEFORE you rebind it. It is under binding app settings menu ( 60:60:1f:??:??:?? ) the ?'s are your address numbers 6 of them.
There are several YouTube videos on this.

Let us know,
Glad she's flying again, A+, we knew you could do it!:cool:

J Dot

Thank you again J Dot.. I've tried all the mentioned solution, resetted the extender, rebinded and everything but I still have the same problem.

The app connect without problem, it see all the gps/battery paramethers but the video preview is still black with the loading circular animation keep rotating without showing the image from the camera.

Again if I take a photo or a video I correctly see it inside the SD thats makes me presume that all the wiring connection are ok and the camera is not broken.

(I think I'll never upgrade a DJI firmware again :p)

dji.jpg

DJI Forum

found this thread on the official DJI forum, A LOT of people have the same problem that seems related to the overheating of the WiFi module (china crappy made)

Sadly I think mine is gone too.. 200€ of spare parts on a drone worth less than 400€

do you guys know any website with good prices on this kind of spare parts?

Try on ebay or find crashed Phantom with good WiFi module and sell the rest.

It is insane how bad they are. Its even lower than people expect from China having in mind the price. For 500€ you buy new P3S so I think that Vision+ cannot get us more than 300€. Maybe from people who want to attach other camera like GoPro.

Ask MEMBER " Hunch " he might have the parts in stock.

J Dot

If your receiving telemetry, should be transmitting! Just sounds strange?

Ask MEMBER " Hunch " he might have the parts in stock.

J Dot

If your receiving telemetry, should be transmitting! Just sounds strange?

sound kinda strange yes. but reading several forum seems that A LOT of p2V+ user are experiencing the same issue.

I've also sent an email to DJI support and they told me to send the drone in assistance for a deeper checking. Some people suggest to wait the new Vision App upgrade that will prolly fix the problem (if the wifi module isn't burned like probably is)

Kinda annoying thing to be honest. My P2 have 1 year of life, never crashed, always kept in a good shape and now for a bad FW upgrade it's basically useless. DJI want us to buy the new P4?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers