Firmware updates

Reaction score
Is it recommended to do all the firmware updates on my phantom 2 version2? I was told in the past with my other quads to leave it alone if it flies well. I know with new firmware sometimes there are issues, but this is my first DJI product and I am afraid to connect it to my computer, I bricked 2 apm flight controllers in the past and I cant afford any issues with my p2. Has anyone had any issues with any p2 firmware or am I good to go? Also is there anything I should stay away from the in the phantom assistant software as not to accidently make the wrong changes?
Thank you in advance drone experts!!:cool:

you have to find out what version you are flying... You might even have a bad load....

Suggest loading Asst on PC (don't forget the Win Driver file) or Mac.... then disconnect your PC from the internet (Wifi and LAN) so it should at least see the P2 and you should be able to then please tell us what version you have today pre upgrade.....

Lot's of trial and error to get to 3.12 whatever then came 3.14....

If I am wrong with my thoughts I'm sure somebody will tell me ;) Dirk?

Stay at or below 3.6 in my opinion.

Screen Shot 2015-07-29 at 9.15.36 AM☀️.png

Reactions: dirkclod
I have still not changed my firmware from the stock version. Just out of curiosity, what changes were made? Were there any benefits to the firmware upgrade

There should be a list to what you ask but I don't know what your on and I never really looked at just what was changed
but I just run the latest firmware . Lots of bugs and in the last one the no fly zones were added so the bird would not power up in them .
Looking back now I just know 3.08 was where mine did the best like 3.06 is where TJ likes his.
When I did all the updates I thought you could go back but that's not the case anymore or I just have not figured out how to .
If you not having any issue's I wouldn't change nothing . JIMO

I am on 3.08 now Dirk. What are you running? 3.14? And are you sure you can't go back? DJI still list both and as far as I am aware you can use either or and swap them out. When 3.8 came out there was issues so they made them both available again.

Screen Shot 2015-07-29 at 12.49.43 PM✨.png

I am on 3.08 now Dirk. What are you running? 3.14? And are you sure you can't go back? DJI still list both and as far as I am aware you can use either or and swap them out. When 3.8 came out there was issues so they made them both available again.
3.14 and I tried by using assistants from slingers site but it just kept going to 3.14 . Maybe I missed something ?

I have backed up from other versions successfully, but I have not tried the current one.
Well I got 3.14 and then tried to down grade but couldn't from there and saw where others couldn't ether .
I deleted everything DJI from my computer and tried that way but it still wouldn't let me .
Even tried lower than 3.6 but no good . Maybe it's user error :D

Well I got 3.14 and then tried to down grade but couldn't from there and saw where others couldn't ether .
I deleted everything DJI from my computer and tried that way but it still wouldn't let me .
Even tried lower than 3.6 but no good . Maybe it's user error :D
Maybe a hard reset of the Phantom is in order?

Maybe a hard reset of the Phantom is in order?
Seems I saw were that was being done but didn't study on it . Was hoping not to have to open it back up again !

Just to add to your new idea. Watch and be enlighted.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Thanks Jason and seen that when I was looking to downgrade and is why I didn't .Every time
I try something like that I really bugger stuff up !
Getting real good at that :)

If what the videos says is correct, you should be able to install whatever version you like.
Yea that's what they said in that thread I saw but me just will have to deal with what I'm on as I do tend to burn stuff up ! :eek:

In my opinion, you should never update firmware unless your Phantom is having some kind of problem you are hoping it will fix. While many firmware updates go just fine (I am told), in my experience, a firmware update can potentially cause your drone to fly erratically, be uncontrollable, or crash. I have a P2 that became uncontrollable with any firmware version above 1.08. Thankfully, with versions below v3, you were able to roll back to fix it. But with v3 and up, you can no longer roll back, so you're taking your quad's life in your hands, so to speak..

What's more, if you take a bad firmware update, DJI will be absolutely ruthless when it comes to fixing the problem. Even though you updated in an effort to stay up to date and "do the right thing", they will charge you to rectify the problem. As far as they are concerned (and a lot of people on this forum seem to agree, strangely enough..) it is YOUR fault that you updated, even if they're the ones that released lousy software AND bad it impossible to roll back. So good luck with that.

In a nutshell, never update firmware unless you're mentally and financially prepared for the possibility of losing your Phantom or making it unusable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.